What are your thoughts on normal wear and tear / environmental paint damage?

Do you also obsess over small imperfections caused by Environmental damage to your truck?

• Total voters

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Living in Wyoming the rule of thumb is.."A windshield a year." Had mine two weeks before a chip in the black part of the upper windshield ran before I noticed it. I would have repaired but it wasn't readily seen up there. Hopefully a repair would have stopped the run. The crack ran right through the auto wipers and lane keeping areas before branching out to the PAX side. Because of that I'll insist on an OEM. The wipers work "weird" now.

I have noticed on all my Fords ('17 Escape, '18 RS, '19 Ranger) the paint is thin and seems to chip easily. so sooner rather than later I'll have a Clear Bra installed on the Ranger and RS. Too late for the Escape. Do you think it's due to the popularity of water based paint and government standards for emissions?

But...dings and chips are a part of life. Yeah we don't like them but it happens and it's not the end of the world. Other things are much more important.
Sponsored

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Living in Wyoming the rule of thumb is.."A windshield a year." Had mine two weeks before a chip in the black part of the upper windshield ran before I noticed it. I would have repaired but it wasn't readily seen up there. Hopefully a repair would have stopped the run. The crack ran right through the auto wipers and lane keeping areas before branching out to the PAX side. Because of that I'll insist on an OEM. The wipers work "weird" now.

I have noticed on all my Fords ('17 Escape, '18 RS, '19 Ranger) the paint is thin and seems to chip easily. so sooner rather than later I'll have a Clear Bra installed on the Ranger and RS. Too late for the Escape. Do you think it's due to the popularity of water based paint and government standards for emissions?

But...dings and chips are a part of life. Yeah we don't like them but it happens and it's not the end of the world. Other things are much more important.
Are they using the water based paints on the Ranger? I had a friend who worked in a body shop and he was pretty impressed with the water based finishes. The only drawback is they take longer to dry. May be part of the cause of some of the crap in the paint.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
It sucks having a brand new vehicle that gets chipped/scratched/dented. Luckily there are ways to prevent and fix all of it. Paintless dent repair guys are awesome at what they do, and can fix a lot of stuff fairly cheap. If you're really worried about scratches and rock chips, get paint protection installed. It's not cheap, but ultimately it saves your OEM paint. There are many brands out there, but stick with something like Xpel, Llumar, or 3M. Another great option is a spray on paint protection called Autoflex.

NVHoonigan

First Name
Drew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Clear bra on the front and bed liner in the back. I park out in the weeds wherever I go because other people don't care about your truck but ultimately I bought it to be driven and do what trucks do. You are gonna end up with some wear and tear but definitely want to enjoy it as like new for as long as I can!

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Environmental damages comes with vehicles running on the ground...trucks are no less immune because they sit higher. But I avoid parking lot damages at all cost as that's something I can control by taking extra steps literally or parking next to a wide handicapped space. I also try and keep a good distance from cars in front of me as to avoid sudden 2x4s being ejected in my face. Stay away from semis. I have two other cars with over 100k each and neither has door dents...front ends are pitted and can't be helped:facepalm:

DBaz

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I used to chase paint chips but now have XPEL on everything I drive.

Doesn't cost much more than the insurance deductible for a broken LED headlight assembly.

Mick Carlson

First Name
Mick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Nothing lasts forever.
Cars are a tool.
If you use them they wear.
If you do not drive them they rot away.
House's are the same.
Everything wants to revert back to what it was.
Steel wants to be iron oxide.
Glass wants to be sand.
Live your life, help others, believe in God.
Great advice.

EcoRanger

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 301A SuperCrew 4X4 2015 Ecoboost Mustang 50 Year Appereance Package convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I want my truck to look good but I'm not OCD about it.

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
Old thread, but I don't mind scratches from branches offroad or scratches in the bed, but I care about rust; rock chips; and damage.

1911tex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru/2020 Ranger
Rare freeze in Texas made icy driving on sandy roads standard...after 7 days passing, being passed, behind dump trucks, etc., I expected getting sandblasted...guess what...not a single chip! Paint shines like new...Black, I love it!

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Well a hit and run on day 3 broke my truck in for me. According to my son it was awesome because my truck is so strong it destroyed the other car. Technically another car was hit and slid into me so I didn't take the whole impact. $20 later on offer up it was fixed. Plus it came with a black lower valence that I later sold for $20.

All in all it's a vehicle, I take care of it, touch up chips and wet sand them smooth, but you can't stop it.

IMG_20211030_190544_01.jpg

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'24 XLT SuperCrew 4x2. Former '21 SuperCab Owner
But I avoid parking lot damages at all cost as that's something I can control by taking extra steps literally or parking next to a wide handicapped space.
I do this too, but my first dent was me opening my super-long SuperCab door into a cart return. Parked there because it gives extra space on the other side of the truck. I checked a text message, didn't think and now...any other chips don't hurt as much.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
i think it depends how hard i try to keep the car / truck looking new. ive had some cars and truck i was wacko about and they looked great until some uncontrollable even damaged them for me... but when i had beat up farm trucks and didnt care seemed like nothing ever damaged it. my new ranger being black gets damaged from a slight breeze. :frown:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
I do this too, but my first dent was me opening my super-long SuperCab door into a cart return.
I 've done that with my former Escape. The other thing is pulling up next to a gas pump far enough to avoid opening the door into the bollard protecting the pumps. I did it once, but no damage. Now Make sure to drive up past.

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder

While waxing near the underside of rocker panel I noticed all the chips. Truck is only 10 months old and have yet to take it off-road. I suspect many of these were there from day 1 but failed to see them until I was up close with my glasses on. Def gotta get this fixed but doubt Ford will accept responsibility since so much time has passed. Looking for quality touch up kits today for Oxford White
Sponsored