What are your thoughts on the Ranger's long-term durability?

Do you believe the 5th Gen Ranger is a durable truck?

• Yes, it is a very durable truck.

• Yes, in comparison with the competition, but not as durable as previous generation trucks.

• It is a moderately durable truck.

• No, not in comparison with the competition.

• No, this truck is not at all durable.

• I am unsure about the durability of this truck.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
That's the impression I had too. There was this post below I read and saved that discussed walnut blasting and using chemicals. I'll admit I have zero knowledge about this as this is my first turbo so I'd like to how it works out if RP gets it done. The walnut blasting looks like it's about $300-$400 according to post #22 which seems like a better way to go to get everything cleaned good and get the gunk out of there too. There's also good before and after pictures from a WB.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/thre...-with-crc-gdi-ivd®-intake-valve-cleaner.4721/

Before:

Before.jpg

After:

After.jpg
Cool beans...always wanted to try out the walnut injection mod...cleans the plumbing and probably good for 1-2 bonus MPGs.. ?
Sponsored

Last edited:

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
It might just be Ford in general. I think as far as durability goes I trust Ford engines more than General Motors or Mopar, but I can’t say the same for the quality of the rest of the vehicles. I’ve had 4 brand new Ford Vehicles from 2015 until last year. Cars to an F150. I actually was pretty disappointed with the F150. The only thing I loved about the truck was the 2.7 ecoboost and the comfort on long hauls. Each and EVERY Ford vehicle I bought brand new had horrible door seals. The F150 driver side started to droop after a few thousand miles. Honestly I had more issues with the f150 in the first 50 thousand miles than all the Ford cars combined. Sensor replacement, numerous undercarriage diapers tearing off when traveling through puddles, door seals/alignment issues making horrible whistling and wind noises, mysterious loss of coolant, oil pan leak, towards the end of my 55,000 miles it developed a horrible humming noise the dealership wasn’t interested in diagnosing. Horrible transmission too. Or at least the programming.

When the pandemic hit I got rid of that. It’s probably just bad luck, but the F150 was the worst as far as refinement and quality.

Believe it or not the best Ford out of all those has been the used 2013 Ford Escape S I bought with the 2.5 naturally aspirated engine. It’s still rock solid, all door seals are excellent and the interior has held up unbelievably. It’s now got 120,000 miles on it. I could easily run the power train to 250,000 miles if I wanted. I might even keep this as a back up car.

Small sample size, but from someone who hasn’t bought anything but Ford new, the earliest has been the best quality wise.

Just to say, I adore the 2.7 though. It was the absolute best engine I’ve ever driven thus far. Perfect combination of power and mpg.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
I have always bought Ford trucks at the tail end of a generation and had great luck. 96 F250 last year for OBS, 2002 F250 2nd to last year before redesign sort of, 2008 F150. They have all been reliable and durable for the stupid stuff I put them through. I expect no less from the ranger. They all went over 200k and this will too. But I am insane about scheduled maintenance, like top 1% kind of insane.

8 months and 17,000 miles I'm still happy

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
I voted not as durable as the previous Ranger, simply because the previous Ranger was much simpler and by nature more durable.
Sponsored