First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Thank you, this camper has a bunk house in it which is why there are two windows on the back (Grand Design Transcend Xplor 247BH).
I currently have sway bars with weight distribution and I’ve only towed this Travel trailer twice so far. To be honest, I don’t feel comfortable driving over 65 MPH and I’m currently looking into a different style of a sway bars/hitch system: https://store.propridehitch.com/propride-3p-trailer-sway-control-hitch/
Take a look at the Hensley Arrow, they sometimes offer rebuilt that are at a reduced price and are as good as new. They have a video on their website that shows how good it works. I am towing a 7000 lb 28.8 foot SalemCruise Lite and it works great!
Sponsored

Skeletor

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Thank you, this camper has a bunk house in it which is why there are two windows on the back (Grand Design Transcend Xplor 247BH).
I currently have sway bars with weight distribution and I’ve only towed this Travel trailer twice so far. To be honest, I don’t feel comfortable driving over 65 MPH and I’m currently looking into a different style of a sway bars/hitch system: https://store.propridehitch.com/propride-3p-trailer-sway-control-hitch/
I use the equalizer weight distribution system. It works so much better than the Eaz-Lift Trekker. Night and day difference. I've pulled my 247bh at 90mph just to test, due to the fact that the trekker didn't last a 4 day 2200 mile trip

Last edited:

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
I would try locking out the top gear or two and certainly slower highway speeds would help MPGs.

Edit: My previous truck was a 2014 F150, 5.0 FX4 with a 4" lift. I towed my toy hauler with similar GVWR and speeds so I got 8 mpg. I locked out the 6th gear and hwy speeds were 55-60. The MPGs went to 11-12 almost instantly. Tail winds helped a lot but they always seemed to be head winds. Go figure
What is “locking out the top gear or two.”. How do you do that and don’t the higher gears provided better mileage?

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
What is “locking out the top gear or two.”. How do you do that and don’t the higher gears provided better mileage?
Click the trailer icon on your driver console and it will automatically block gear 9 & 10

FX4Offroad

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4
When towing, in higher gears, the turbo will be spooling up to keep speed especially at higher speeds. Turbo spooling = less mpgs

jshufeld

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I use the equalizer weight distribution system. It works so much better than the Eaz-Lift Trekker. Night and day difference. I've pulled my 247bh at 90mph just to test, due to the fact that the trekker didn't last a 4 day 2200 mile trip
Do you mind sending me the link for the Equalizer Weight Distribution System?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Click the trailer icon on your driver console and it will automatically block gear 9 & 10
Just pressing the tow button does not lock out 9 & 10. At least not on mine. Went camping this week and checked it. To lock out gears while in drive press the minus button on the shifter once to get into selective drive mode. The gear numbers will show up in your dash display with the current gear highlighted. Press the minus again and it will lock out 10th. Each time you press minus will lock out one more gear from the top down. Each time you press plus will add one back. Resets on key cycle. Tow button only raises shift points to keep RPMs higher.

Deleted member 1634

Just pressing the tow button does not lock out 9 & 10. At least not on mine. Went camping this week and checked it. To lock out gears while in drive press the minus button on the shifter once to get into selective drive mode. The gear numbers will show up in your dash display with the current gear highlighted. Press the minus again and it will lock out 10th. Each time you press minus will lock out one more gear from the top down. Each time you press plus will add one back. Resets on key cycle. Tow button only raises shift points to keep RPMs higher.
I'm glad you said something. I thought I was going crazy because mine also does not lock out the higher gears in tow mode. But I figured I'd let someone else say it and get any flack for it. haha

forestale

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manufacturing
Wow, good to know. I learn something new everyday on this forum. I suppose if I had read the manual I would already know that though!! ?

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
We tow various trailers quite a bit and the Rangers ability to do that, was one of the reasons we got it. Been quite happy with its towing capability. I'll attach a few photos of us doing that.

newrangercamper.jpg
rangerhaulsboss585.jpg
P1060750.jpg
Sponsored