First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Supercrew, 2017 Ford Fusion Sport, 1968 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Military
Added an office to my working trailer. An iKamper roof top tent for 4 sleepers. With additional awning and/or base tent to the floor.

So next time I camp. I can bring my BBQ.

1598030469655.png
That’s quite a set up. I assume you have a BBQ business.
Truck looks amazing.
Brian

jbobbitt2652

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Tech Support Eng
I tow a Rockwood 2304S just fine without weight distribution hitch or anti-sway.
23.75 ft
Dry 4,605 lbs, payload capacity of 1800 lbs.
Hitch weight 661 lbs.
Using the Ford Tow Pro Elite, I tried the Curt Echo and was not a fan.
The Redarc controller is noticeably better, the install is not fun....
I'm new to towing, backing up is taking some getting use to... :)

45a70c7e-1cce-4b55-a44a-a4144fa83fea-jpeg.jpg

cfhgarza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Magnetic XLT 301A
Occupation
Press and weld set-up
I have a Viking 1706XLS Tent trailer. 1500lbs dry. I haven't had a chance to pull it anywhere(besides around the yard) with the Ranger due to COVID and mandatory Saturdays.

The big one is my mother-in-laws new rig. It's damn near as long as my truck and trailer together ?

IMG_20200806_161800.jpg

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I have a Viking 1706XLS Tent trailer. 1500lbs dry. I haven't had a chance to pull it anywhere(besides around the yard) with the Ranger due to COVID and mandatory Saturdays.

The big one is my mother-in-laws new rig. It's damn near as long as my truck and trailer together ?

IMG_20200806_161800.jpg
Towing that Viking you will need to keep an eye on the rear view mirror to check if it is still there.
;)

Philb

First Name
Philip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Nice! That sure seems heavy for a tent trailer @4-4.5K lbs. From the angle I can't quite see how large it is.

Wife and I are considering a rpod rp202 @~4500 lbs. She likes the idea of closing the bathroom door, if I snore.

Anyone running this and have input?
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/travel-trailers/r-pod/RP-202/5489
I am towing something very similar. Statecraft comet mini extreme. Just completed 1300 miles through Wyoming, Colorado, and Utah. 2900 lbs dry. With water, 2nd battery, propane , electric tongue jack, and what ever I am more like 3500 lbs. Truck handles it fine. I do have wght distribution and sway control. As for mpg I get about 10 to 11 and keep it under 70 most of the time

I just saw the weight and length on the rpod you are looking at. My statecraft is comparable to the smaller rpods

Last edited:

Stic-o

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'99 Explorer ,'92 Bronco, '91 Navajo, '19 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
I tow a Rockwood 2304S just fine without weight distribution hitch or anti-sway.
23.75 ft
Dry 4,605 lbs, payload capacity of 1800 lbs.
Hitch weight 661 lbs.
Using the Ford Tow Pro Elite, I tried the Curt Echo and was not a fan.
The Redarc controller is noticeably better, the install is not fun....
I'm new to towing, backing up is taking some getting use to... :)

45a70c7e-1cce-4b55-a44a-a4144fa83fea-jpeg.jpg

Backing up is easy. Just remember a few things.

*Don't wait to react to what the trailer does, tell it what to do.

*Go right to go left, kachow!

*you really only need to see one side, if you know the width of your trailer, and know where your backing into.

If all fails, get a camera or a spotter.

You sit in the passenger seat (shotgun) you work. You navigate, provide snack assistance and help where ever else needed. That' s my rules, and I will demote you to the back seat if needed. Not helping? The dog can be shotgun...lol

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Just bought a 2017 Lance 1985 travel trailer. The truck is ready with the trailer package and electronic brake controller installed. The RV dealer is going to set me up with a weight distribution hitch. I'm new to pulling a trailer with the Ranger so any advice would be appreciated. That is, advice specific to the Ranger pulling a trailer. Having worked for UPS, I know how to drive an articulated vehicle.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Just bought a 2017 Lance 1985 travel trailer. The truck is ready with the trailer package and electronic brake controller installed. The RV dealer is going to set me up with a weight distribution hitch. I'm new to pulling a trailer with the Ranger so any advice would be appreciated. That is, advice specific to the Ranger pulling a trailer. Having worked for UPS, I know how to drive an articulated vehicle.
Hi Jon,

I would recommend that you get your vehicle and trailer weighed to ensure you are within the design limits of the Ranger for trailer GVW and Vehicle/Trailer GCW. Your friendly truck stop scale is your savior to avoid being overloaded

trailertow.jpg

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

JonB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Hi Jon,

I would recommend that you get your vehicle and trailer weighed to ensure you are within the design limits of the Ranger for trailer GVW and Vehicle/Trailer GCW. Your friendly truck stop scale is your savior to avoid being overloaded

Phil,

Thanks for the reply. I have a 4-wheel drive with the super crew cab. The trailer's GVWR is 5700 lbs and the tongue weight is around 450 lbs. I think I'm easily within the limits.

Skeletor

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Make sure that you set up your weight distribution properly. the manual will be your best friend I encourage you to read the whole thing as I did. There are so many steps you have to follow exactly in order to make sure it is set up correctly. it is very easy to go over the rear axle maximum weight with these Ford rangers I pull a 6800 lb trailer full time. It has been quite a learning process for me as I am new to all of this as well. Please reach out to me if you have any questions.

Raptor-EU

First Name
Henri
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.puraleña.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Raptor
Occupation
A lot of nothing.
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure that you set up your weight distribution properly. the manual will be your best friend I encourage you to read the whole thing as I did. There are so many steps you have to follow exactly in order to make sure it is set up correctly. it is very easy to go over the rear axle maximum weight with these Ford rangers I pull a 6800 lb trailer full time. It has been quite a learning process for me as I am new to all of this as well. Please reach out to me if you have any questions.
A simple way to check your towbar load is to use a scale under the support wheel.
Hook your trailer first and then release the lock while turning your wheel down. That way you also protect your scale from overloading. I would also use a wooden plank to distribute the weight on your scale platform. It is something which is easy to do with household tools. And soon you'll find the best way to pack.

And you will really notice improvements on your towing behaviour.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
make sure you actually need a wd hitch. they love to sell the because it's extra margin, but it does add weight and the ranger does not need a wd hitch to achieve its max tow rating (unlike some vehicles that have a different rating with/without).
Sponsored