Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
22MKSE.PNG

New to RV's. I wanted to post this RV spec sheet to hear all sides on if it would be safe to pull with the 2022 Ranger(Tow Package, 4x4, OEM brake controller, and WDH). I think my big concern is the Tongue weight and would I quickly go over the 750-pound limit. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I have two adults, two little ones, and two dogs. All combined weight of fewer than 600 pounds. Almost all cargo would be in the RV after that.
Depends on how much you load up with cargo. If you limit what you load up with you should be fine
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
We just took delivery of our new Jayco Jay Feather 24RL last Wednesday. (you can google up the specs and compare them to you trailer)
Towing it with a 2021 Ranger, 2 wheel drive, with tow package. Have only towed it twice to get a feel for what might be needed to beef up the stock suspension. Took it up on x-way, ran it up to 65 mph, and it did just fine....just a bit of "mush" in the rear which I expected and should be taken care of with some better rear shocks. Did a 100 mile trip, half on x-way and half down a 2 lane state road.
We loaded it up with our "rv stuff", 20 gallons of water, 2 full 30 lb propane tanks, one battery, clothes that we keep in it, but less food.
But, I am an experienced rv'er, many years, and I feel very comfortable towing with the Ranger.
It will come down to your experience and comfort level. You are going to get various responses, everything from no problem to your nuts for towing something that heavy and long.

IMG_20220316_143343271.jpg

IMG_20220316_150732083_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220316_150747349_HDR.jpg

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
22MKSE.PNG

New to RV's. I wanted to post this RV spec sheet to hear all sides on if it would be safe to pull with the 2022 Ranger (Tow Package, 4x4, OEM brake controller, and WDH). I think my big concern is the Tongue weight and would I quickly go over the 750-pound limit. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I have two adults, two little ones, and two dogs. All combined weight of fewer than 600 pounds. Almost all cargo would be in the RV after that.
I think you would be uncomfortable towing long distance and at speed, even unloaded. The Ranger WILL tow that weight but will get pushed around with every passing truck and at higher speeds you will be white knuckling the steering wheel. The back end will also jitter a bit, possibly correctable with new shocks. Thats with my wife and I + minimal stuff in the back and trailer lightly loaded with 1/3 tank water. I've also towed with a full and empty tank that did not change the tow characteristic much. I'm also using an equalizer WD setup. That's been my experience with a similar sized rig, Grand Design 17MKE.

IMO the Ranger is best suited to a light skinny trailer because the mirrors and above experience. I'm going with a larger truck, as soon as it can be built, that is heavier and built for towing. The Rangers a great truck, just not a tow-er. Others here tow similar and seem OK but I don't feel that. Good luck with your decision and stay safe.
1647793547762.jpeg

Sir Swivel Hips

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT, 2022 Rav4 Hybrid, 2012 Civic
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I think you would be uncomfortable towing long distance and at speed, even unloaded. The Ranger WILL tow that weight but will get pushed around with every passing truck and at higher speeds you will be white knuckling the steering wheel. The back end will also jitter a bit, possibly correctable with new shocks. Thats with my wife and I + minimal stuff in the back and trailer lightly loaded with 1/3 tank water. I've also towed with a full and empty tank that did not change the tow characteristic much. I'm also using an equalizer WD setup. That's been my experience with a similar sized rig, Grand Design 17MKE.

IMO the Ranger is best suited to a light skinny trailer because the mirrors and above experience. I'm going with a larger truck, as soon as it can be built, that is heavier and built for towing. The Rangers a great truck, just not a tow-er. Others here tow similar and seem OK but I don't feel that. Good luck with your decision and stay safe.
1647793547762.jpeg
Thanks for the input! Glad people like you are giving feedback. Experience is what I'm looking for.

SandBaja

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver FX4, 501A pkg, fully optioned,2012 Rubicon, 2017 Cherokee, 2018 Volt
Occupation
Almost retired
Thanks for the input! Glad people like you are giving feedback. Experience is what I'm looking for.
BTW, it tows this great @ ~3500#'s (trailer and SXS), with a fully loaded heavy truck
1647802104724.jpeg

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
22MKSE.PNG

New to RV's. I wanted to post this RV spec sheet to hear all sides on if it would be safe to pull with the 2022 Ranger(Tow Package, 4x4, OEM brake controller, and WDH). I think my big concern is the Tongue weight and would I quickly go over the 750-pound limit. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. I have two adults, two little ones, and two dogs. All combined weight of fewer than 600 pounds. Almost all cargo would be in the RV after that.
I will not say you can't do it, or don't do it, but would definitely advise against it. Especially if you are new to RVs as you stated. That trailer is definitely pushing the rated limits of the Ranger. Even without knowing your family size you will have a hard time staying under the GCVWR and the axle ratings on your truck. Those are the three big ratings to watch. Tongue weight is next, but that figures into the rear axle loading. If you go to this get it weighed so you know where you stand.

Like I said I would not recommend a trailer that size and weight for a first timer. That will be a handfull for an experienced tower in traffic and wind. Not to mention manuvering in tight quarters.

Again if you decide to go with it get a good set of extended/extendable tow mirrors, your going to need them.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Depends on how much you load up with cargo. If you limit what you load up with you should be fine
If that’s a new unit it’s probably pre wired for a rear view camera. That will negate the need for adding tow mirrors. Several good inexpensive options available for camera/monitor setup. We use Tadibrothers and its great

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
22MKSE.PNG

To long for my liking, you will have to carry all cargo in the tt.

I have a xlt 4x2 2020

This is my weight as i have it with tunnel cover. My gvwr of the ranger is 6050. So that leaves me with about 1600k payload.
This was my last tow. About 1500lbs cargo to include luggage passengers and tongue weight.
Tow was about 5 to 6k. Dynamics are entirely different than a big giant box tt.
I do not use a wdh. I dont need one.
But if I had a tt, i would use one. Use proper equipment.
I personally never go above 70. No matter how little or big the tow. Always within 60 to 70 mph.

Just tow safe, use proper equipment. Take your time. I am getting old and dont tow at night either lol
Be safe
Good luck

20220225_153740.jpg

20220320_164859.jpg

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If that’s a new unit it’s probably pre wired for a rear view camera. That will negate the need for adding tow mirrors. Several good inexpensive options available for camera/monitor setup. We use Tadibrothers and its great
Rear view cameras are great for seeing what's behind you and backing, but they don't show whats along side of you when you want to change lanes. With the stock Ranger mirrors you will still have a blind spot along the trailer.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Rear view cameras are great for seeing what's behind you and backing, but they don't show whats along side of you when you want to change lanes. With the stock Ranger mirrors you will still have a blind spot along the trailer.
I have no blind spots whatsoever. Mirrors pick up traffic that also shows up on monitor. Towed all last summer with our Passport and never had any issues.
A107E9E5-ADA0-4589-BD7D-EAD6451183CA.jpeg

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I have no blind spots whatsoever. Mirrors pick up traffic that also shows up on monitor. Towed all last summer with our Passport and never had any issues.
Passport width with mirrors is 78.6”. Ranger width shows 85.8”. So Ranger mirrors should work even better

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Not really sure what you are trying to show here.

Most prewired rear view cameras are mounted on the back of the TT and show what is immediately behind you. The Rangers Blind Spot detection won't work for that wide a trailer and the Rangers are not wide enough to see the sides of the trailer so there is a big blind spot at the rear corners. When you need to lane change a rig that size in traffic you need to know exactly where the back of that trailer is. Believe me a gap that big will get filled real fast. No time to check 2 or three different places.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
Just picked up our new Jayco 24RL....been on order since last July.
I have posted several times about our plans and the trailer and the Rangers ability to tow something as large...
Well to all you nay-sayers, the trailer came in at 5625 with a battery and 2 full 30 lb propane tanks.
Figure around 6200-6300 with our stuff and a partial tank of water.
As far as towing...I set my WD hitch up and it tows beautifully. Its listed as 29 foot, but its a 24 foot box and 5 feet of front frame. Took it right up on the interstate, hit 65, and it cruises just fine...no sway, no bounce, and the Ranger had plenty of power. Just a bit wibbily/mushy in the back but I think that will be taken care of by a better set of shocks.

IMG_20220316_150727477_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20220316_150747349_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220316_143343271.jpg
Nice!

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
Not really sure what you are trying to show here.

Most prewired rear view cameras are mounted on the back of the TT and show what is immediately behind you. The Rangers Blind Spot detection won't work for that wide a trailer and the Rangers are not wide enough to see the sides of the trailer so there is a big blind spot at the rear corners. When you need to lane change a rig that size in traffic you need to know exactly where the back of that trailer is. Believe me a gap that big will get filled real fast. No time to check 2 or three different places.
Have you towed with the camera setup I’m talking about? I have and you’re telling me I’m wrong? Like I said it works great for me and if it wasn’t safe I wouldn’t be doing it.

Sir Swivel Hips

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT, 2022 Rav4 Hybrid, 2012 Civic
Occupation
Engineering Technician
I will not say you can't do it, or don't do it, but would definitely advise against it. Especially if you are new to RVs as you stated. That trailer is definitely pushing the rated limits of the Ranger. Even without knowing your family size you will have a hard time staying under the GCVWR and the axle ratings on your truck. Those are the three big ratings to watch. Tongue weight is next, but that figures into the rear axle loading. If you go to this get it weighed so you know where you stand.

Like I said I would not recommend a trailer that size and weight for a first timer. That will be a handfull for an experienced tower in traffic and wind. Not to mention manuvering in tight quarters.

Again if you decide to go with it get a good set of extended/extendable tow mirrors, your going to need them.
Thanks for the advice. That goes for everyone. Already going to scratch this RV (22MKS). The 186BH Apex Nano seems to bit at least a bit better. Roughly 800 pounds lighter, 4 ft shorter, 7.5ft wide, and 139 pounds lighter on the hitch. Still checks all the boxes that we are looking for. Would you say this is still a stretch for size? Or would that bit of difference make a HUGE difference?
Sponsored