2020 Ranger XLT FX4 Non-Towing pkg, is this what I need for towing?

SlickRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hello all and happy new year. I have been browsing the forums extensively for what I would need to have the ability to tow the 7,500lbs our trucks are built for. I had a few questions that have popped up during my search and was hoping ya'll could help me out. This is my first truck and my first venture into towing.

Things I understand:
  • I need a hitch, rated for at least 7,500lbs. I purchased the Draw-Tite 76275 Class III hitch.
  • I need to convert my existing 4 pin to a 7 pin/4 pin setup. I like the factory look of the tow package hookup so I ordered the following after some guidance from this forum.
    • FU5Z-14489-A - Genuine Ford Trailer Tow Wiring Receptacle
    • KB3Z-15K868-D - Genuine Ford Trailer Tow Wiring Harness With Park Sensors
  • According to the manual and common sense, I need a trailer brake controller to tow anything over ~1,600lbs. Because I have the XLT, I have the 4 wires under the driver side kick panel needed to set this up.
Things I do not understand:
  • When I look at trailer brake options, some things are unclear. First off, the OEM trailer brake controller here states that "Note: Vehicle must be equipped with factory Trailer Tow Package." Why is this? Is it because of the missing 7 pin? Is this a non-issue once I install the above receptacle and wiring harness?
  • When browsing the forums, I see references to the Automated Emergency Braking system, and how not all trailer brake controllers support this. I would like to go the REDARC TowPro Elite route, but cannot find definitive proof if this works with all factory safety features and how difficult it would be to accommodate them during the install process.
TIA for the help. I love my ranger and hope to get this all figured out! Also, if there are existing forum posts that explain this already, my apologies and can you please point me to them?
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Hello all and happy new year. I have been browsing the forums extensively for what I would need to have the ability to tow the 7,500lbs our trucks are built for. I had a few questions that have popped up during my search and was hoping ya'll could help me out. This is my first truck and my first venture into towing.

Things I understand:
  • I need a hitch, rated for at least 7,500lbs. I purchased the Draw-Tite 76275 Class III hitch.
  • I need to convert my existing 4 pin to a 7 pin/4 pin setup. I like the factory look of the tow package hookup so I ordered the following after some guidance from this forum.
    • FU5Z-14489-A - Genuine Ford Trailer Tow Wiring Receptacle
    • KB3Z-15K868-D - Genuine Ford Trailer Tow Wiring Harness With Park Sensors
  • According to the manual and common sense, I need a trailer brake controller to tow anything over ~1,600lbs. Because I have the XLT, I have the 4 wires under the driver side kick panel needed to set this up.
Things I do not understand:
  • When I look at trailer brake options, some things are unclear. First off, the OEM trailer brake controller here states that "Note: Vehicle must be equipped with factory Trailer Tow Package." Why is this? Is it because of the missing 7 pin? Is this a non-issue once I install the above receptacle and wiring harness?
  • When browsing the forums, I see references to the Automated Emergency Braking system, and how not all trailer brake controllers support this. I would like to go the REDARC TowPro Elite route, but cannot find definitive proof if this works with all factory safety features and how difficult it would be to accommodate them during the install process.
TIA for the help. I love my ranger and hope to get this all figured out! Also, if there are existing forum posts that explain this already, my apologies and can you please point me to them?
Welcome to the forum...lots of good info and help here.

Other than the factory hitch and wiring, there is no difference between Rangers with and without the tow package...they both have equal towing capabilities. They are mechanically identical....no extra coolers, suspension, trans or engine add on's.
Once you install the 7 pin wiring, you can use ANY standard electronic brake controller using the 4 wires under the dash.
The Ford Redarc system adds a 5th wire that is spliced into the rear high mount brake light.
The difference between the regular systems, and the Ford Redarc is that using a regular controller you will lose the Forward Collision Warning System and the Automatic Emergency Braking System, basically used when the cruise control is in use.
Simply put, if you want to keep those systems while towing, you have to use the Redarc control.
Some of us do and some of us use regular controllers...myself, I use a Tenkonsha Prodigy 2 System...4 wires from the control simply splice up with the 4 under dash wires (I have the tow package) . But, I lose those 2 safety features. Using the Ford Redarc system will keep all the systems available.
Info on the Ford Redarc system, and install info from members can be found in the Tow section of the forum.

Last edited:
OP
OP

SlickRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Welcome to the forum...lots of good info and help here.

Other than the factory hitch and wiring, there is no difference between Rangers with and without the tow package...they both have equal towing capabilities. They are mechanically identical....no extra coolers, suspension, trans or engine add on's.
Once you install the 7 pin wiring, you can use ANY standard electronic brake controller using the 4 wires under the dash.
The Ford Redarc system adds a 5th wire that is spliced into the rear high mount brake light.
The difference between the regular systems, and the Ford Redarc is that using a regular controller you will lose the Forward Collision Warning System and the Automatic Emergency Braking System, basically used when the cruise control is in use.
Simply put, if you want to keep those systems while towing, you have to use the Redarc control.
Some of us do and some of us use regular controllers...myself, I use a Tenkonsha Prodigy 2 System...4 wires from the control simply splice up with the 4 under dash wires (I have the tow package) . But, I lose those 2 safety features. Using the Ford Redarc system will keep all the systems available.
Info on the Ford Redarc system, and install info from members can be found in the Tow section of the forum.
Hey there. Thank you for the response, it is appreciated. Is the general consensus that the advanced safety features while towing are kind of superfluous when towing? It doesn't sound like something I absolutely need, and REALLY don't want the hassle of install. Thanks again and happy to be here.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Slick, the two systems, keep or not, is strictly up to you and your "comfort zone". The 2 systems are primarily used when the cruise control is in use.
If, when towing you need or are planning to use the cruise control, than the Ford Redrac system is a must.
Have a new travel trailer on order, but have towed for many years, and I just do not use the cruise control when towing. That is just my personal preference. So, a standard brake control works just fine for my use.
There are many posts in the Towing section about the Redrac system...it's not a "general consensus" but more along the lines of need or not need the systems when towing via personal preference.

OP
OP

SlickRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Slick, the two systems, keep or not, is strictly up to you and your "comfort zone". The 2 systems are primarily used when the cruise control is in use.
If, when towing you need or are planning to use the cruise control, than the Ford Redrac system is a must.
Have a new travel trailer on order, but have towed for many years, and I just do not use the cruise control when towing. That is just my personal preference. So, a standard brake control works just fine for my use.
There are many posts in the Towing section about the Redrac system...it's not a "general consensus" but more along the lines of need or not need the systems when towing via personal preference.
Thank you for your insight. Like you, I would probably never use CC during towing. Makes my decision (and install) easy!

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
To be a bit more clear...with a standard brake control, you will still be able to use the cruise control.
But under emergency braking, meaning braking by the system, the trailer brakes will not function...thats where the Redrac system kicks in. With the Redrac system both the truck and trailer brakes will activate
With a regular system the trailer brakes will activate any time you hit the brakes manually. If you have done any towing using a brake controller in the past, nothing will change.
Also, the 4 wires under the dash are proper gauge, but 2 are very thin, and there is not a lot of excess to any of them....so be a bit careful when stripping the ends.
Safe travels...

OP
OP

SlickRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Also, the 4 wires under the dash are proper gauge, but 2 are very thin, and there is not a lot of excess to any of them....so be a bit careful when stripping the ends.
Safe travels...
Thank you for the tip. Now to find a trailer that won't empty my wallet ?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Thank you for the tip. Now to find a trailer that won't empty my wallet ?
First welcome to the forum. Grumpaw covered it all very well. I only have a couple of points to clarify.

First of all it bothers my that people keep calling the Ford approved trailer brake kit the Redarc system or Ford Redarc sysyem. It is Fords system that just happens to use the Redarc module as its main brake controler. Ford then adds another third party module to allow the adaptive cruise and emergency braking systems to actuate the trailer brakes. Many of us actually use the Redarc controller, as do I, by itself. This is because when Ford released the Ranger for the 2019 model year the did not have a controller for it. Yes it had the 4 wires so you could hook any aftermarket controller up to the truck without have the safety features activate the trailer brakes. It took them a year and a half to come up with their system. If you could by the extra module and harness separately, you could wire any controller to work with the safety features. Ford chose the Redarc controller as the basis for their kit because it is one of the most popular used in Australia and the least intrusive in the dash which was not designed for one. Please do not confuse the Radarc controller with the Ford kit which uses it.

Secondly, I have heard rumors that the later model years to not have all 4 wires, only the ones needed for the Ford kit. Hopely this does not affect yours. Also some early ones without the tow package did not have the wiring at all. Again I hope thos is not the case for you.

Lastly, the extra features with the Ford kit only affect the AEB system and the Adaptive Cruise Control system. Regular cruise is not affected. And the only affect is that trailer brakes will not be applied, the truck brakes will still be applied. No diffetent than we've been towing for years.

Lots of other threads on towing and trailer setup to help you. Enjoy your new truck and tow safe.

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Secondly, I have heard rumors that the later model years to not have all 4 wires, only the ones needed for the Ford kit.
My '21 has all 4 wires, even though (as you said) only two were needed when i installed the Ford brake controller

Reactions: EJH

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
My '21 has all 4 wires, even though (as you said) only two were needed when i installed the Ford brake controller
I only was able to locate the two wires for the Ford TBC on my '21. Admittedly, I did not dig too deep for the other wires, so YMMV.

OP
OP

SlickRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
First welcome to the forum. Grumpaw covered it all very well. I only have a couple of points to clarify.

First of all it bothers my that people keep calling the Ford approved trailer brake kit the Redarc system or Ford Redarc sysyem. It is Fords system that just happens to use the Redarc module as its main brake controler. Ford then adds another third party module to allow the adaptive cruise and emergency braking systems to actuate the trailer brakes. Many of us actually use the Redarc controller, as do I, by itself. This is because when Ford released the Ranger for the 2019 model year the did not have a controller for it. Yes it had the 4 wires so you could hook any aftermarket controller up to the truck without have the safety features activate the trailer brakes. It took them a year and a half to come up with their system. If you could by the extra module and harness separately, you could wire any controller to work with the safety features. Ford chose the Redarc controller as the basis for their kit because it is one of the most popular used in Australia and the least intrusive in the dash which was not designed for one. Please do not confuse the Radarc controller with the Ford kit which uses it.

Secondly, I have heard rumors that the later model years to not have all 4 wires, only the ones needed for the Ford kit. Hopely this does not affect yours. Also some early ones without the tow package did not have the wiring at all. Again I hope thos is not the case for you.

Lastly, the extra features with the Ford kit only affect the AEB system and the Adaptive Cruise Control system. Regular cruise is not affected. And the only affect is that trailer brakes will not be applied, the truck brakes will still be applied. No diffetent than we've been towing for years.

Lots of other threads on towing and trailer setup to help you. Enjoy your new truck and tow safe.
Hello! Thank you for the information. After some additional research I have more questions if I could pick your brain. I'm looking into the Curt Echo Bluetooth TBC. This seems to check all of the boxes: trailer brake functionality while keeping the ACC and AEB functionality at the cost of utilizing an app than hardware. My question is, once I would install the 7 pin OEM harness, is that it? I just plug in the echo and it all works? That would mean no messing around with wires in the cab and no need to drill holes or add additional fascia to accommodate a controller. Am I correct in this line of thought?

Reactions: EJH

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hello! Thank you for the information. After some additional research I have more questions if I could pick your brain. I'm looking into the Curt Echo Bluetooth TBC. This seems to check all of the boxes: trailer brake functionality while keeping the ACC and AEB functionality at the cost of utilizing an app than hardware. My question is, once I would install the 7 pin OEM harness, is that it? I just plug in the echo and it all works? That would mean no messing around with wires in the cab and no need to drill holes or add additional fascia to accommodate a controller. Am I correct in this line of thought?
I'm not really the person to answer this question, and I'll explain why. Although several people on this forum use the Curt Echo, I wouldn't/will not. Simply because even though it will work well without the phone after the initial setup. To be able to manually apply the trailer brakes if necessary while towing the app needs to be up and open on your phone and depends on a Bluetooth connection. Personally if I need to apply the brakes to correct a sway or other issue, I don’t want to have to fumble withy phone to do it. I use my phone for other things, like calls or navigation.

Aside from that, since you are adding the 7 pin connector to the truck. You need to make sure you are getting 12 volt power to the plug. This is a little hard to verify on the Ranger, as the truck will only supply power to the receptical if the truck recognizes a trailer is plugged in. This requires the truck to be running and you step on the brake peddle. The truck will then give you several warnings about the cross traffic and rear parking sensors being disabled if you have them. This 12 volt power is required to operate the Curt unit and power the trailer brakes.

The choice is up to you, I have given you my opinion.

OP
OP

SlickRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I'm not really the person to answer this question, and I'll explain why. Although several people on this forum use the Curt Echo, I wouldn't/will not. Simply because even though it will work well without the phone after the initial setup. To be able to manually apply the trailer brakes if necessary while towing the app needs to be up and open on your phone and depends on a Bluetooth connection. Personally if I need to apply the brakes to correct a sway or other issue, I don’t want to have to fumble withy phone to do it. I use my phone for other things, like calls or navigation.

Aside from that, since you are adding the 7 pin connector to the truck. You need to make sure you are getting 12 volt power to the plug. This is a little hard to verify on the Ranger, as the truck will only supply power to the receptical if the truck recognizes a trailer is plugged in. This requires the truck to be running and you step on the brake peddle. The truck will then give you several warnings about the cross traffic and rear parking sensors being disabled if you have them. This 12 volt power is required to operate the Curt unit and power the trailer brakes.

The choice is up to you, I have given you my opinion.
Thanks for that. I don't think I'd have much of an issue with the phone because calls and navigation are handled through Android auto on the trucks head unit. If I find it being a nuisance I have an older galaxy laying around I can use just for it. I just think it's interesting that I wouldn't need to run any of the wires from the drivers kick panel to the curt, but I think that comes from my own misunderstanding on how it works.

Again, appreciate the information and patience.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks for that. I don't think I'd have much of an issue with the phone because calls and navigation are handled through Android auto on the trucks head unit. If I find it being a nuisance I have an older galaxy laying around I can use just for it. I just think it's interesting that I wouldn't need to run any of the wires from the drivers kick panel to the curt, but I think that comes from my own misunderstanding on how it works.

Again, appreciate the information and patience.
Just remember Android Auto uses your phone, you need to have it plugged in to the truck.

Again this is just my opinion on the Curt controller. I would probably be fine with it for infrequent towing but for towing a camper I own not so much. I don’t take shortcuts where my family is invovled.

OP
OP

SlickRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Thanks again for the help everyone. I have all of the parts in my possession and will wait for it to warm up a bit to install. Any tips for the wiring harness? I don't see any install guides so I'm guessing it's pretty easy.
Sponsored