First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Because Hyundai wants its customers to come back. Ford knows if we don't someone else will. It's all about staying hungry. Ford isn't.
exactly! ford and all the so called american auto groups know that no matter how much they screw us over and build substandard junk that D.C. will still keep handing over our money to bail them out. They have no risk just rewards and golden parachutes from our labor. the big three should be kissing our feet and instead the piss on us.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
According to studies Ford actually ranks high in customer loyalty - certainly higher than Korean makes, but the carmax pie chart shows customers that stay loyal to a brand are a minority.

I have a Hyundai and a Ford, the Ranger trumps the Sante Fe in every meaningful category - power, fuel economy, towing, off road capability, audio system, etc. Hyundai mostly appeals to bargain buyers who focus on bling over engineering, after 100k miles most are headed for the junk heap, some because of poor maintenance others because the design is cheaper and not as resilent as other makers. But it's a big segment that doesn't really care if a vehicle last beyond the warranty period, I've never once seen a Hyundai or Kia on the list a cars that last the longest.

https://www.jdpower.com/business/press-releases/2022-us-automotive-brand-loyalty-study

https://www.carmax.com/articles/ranking-car-brands-most-and-least-loyal-owners

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
But we digress...

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Because Hyundai knows that they will lose any class action suit when their cheaply made engines fail and that is more costly than folding their tent and replacing engines, whereas the extent of the 1080R tranny issues don't appear as this point to be as widespread. Interesting and not good that another much hailed Detroit attempt to build a better mousetrap seemingly comes up a bit short when compared to folks like ZF
ZF has had huge issues. Google transmissions in KL Jeeps with the ZF9. I’ll bet 2014s are at 99% replacement before 100k miles and if not the owners are tolerating behavior like chirping tire hard shifts and rolling backwards as if in neutral after shifting from reverse.

As it turns out automatic transmissions are really hard to build and always have been.

100k/7yr ESP here 😛

Last edited:

diesel924

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Escape
Occupation
Fire truck mechanic
Sadly, my truck as well has started to give me transmission issues. 49K miles on it, no mods, first trip in the morning it hangs shifts, sometimes feels like it's in neutral between gears (complete with being able to rev the engine freely), and shifting with a nice bang at times. After warm up, it will shift normally. Got an appointment in August because that was the first available loaner. I spent $1K of my own money on a rental when my wife's Escape's EGR cooler went out, not going to do that again.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
C'mon guys this is supposed to be about transmission woes not climate change. You can start another thread in the off topic section for that. :wink:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Another company offering a kit.
Screenshot_20230626-121749.png

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
71k on the odometer and Shelly has started hard shifting / clunking from 6th to 7th and from 8th to 9th. So glad I didn't cancel the extended warranty after the seat heater fiasco

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Not related to a Ranger, but transmission observation. On road this week for work. Unfortunately National had zero Fords available. Yea, I always ask. Anyway, got a brand new Chevy Equinox. I'm the first renter, which is always nice.

Few observations. (1) I would never buy this thing. (2) Base engine is an 8 HP Briggs and Stratton. (3) Transmission overall is ok, but it has done some weird shit a time or two.

Getting on it hard but then having to quickly back out of it definitely confuses this thing. It seems to freak a bit trying to choose a gear at that point.

Guess I am just saying that it ain't just the 10R80 that can do strange things. And certainly not a Ford only issue.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Last edited:

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
71k on the odometer and Shelly has started hard shifting / clunking from 6th to 7th and from 8th to 9th. So glad I didn't cancel the extended warranty after the seat heater fiasco
sorry to hear this i hope its something simple like a re flash or fluid and filter change

Crow_of_judgement

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 ranger screw lariat
Occupation
Parks and recreation maintenance
sorry to hear this i hope its something simple like a re flash or fluid and filter change
That's what I'm hoping, according to ford pass service records the transmission was serviced by the prior owner at 51k miles so I'm not hopeful it's a fluid issue

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
💰💶💴💲
Ford most often values that over customer service. Yep. 100% Ford guy just said that. Truth is truth.

Sadly that is the standard policy in 99.9999999999% of corporate America. Nothing matters, NOTHING matters except the next goddamn quarterly earnings report.

Man I need to retire.

:curse:
I can highly recommend retirement after enjoying for six months

XL GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger STX
Occupation
Civil Engineering Firm

This retirement thing is something I dream about. I ask retired people I know and they highly recommend it as well. I also dream of kicking the sh*t out of some people I work with and returning my work stuff and laugh while I'm doing it.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
You suck.:crying:

Kidding. Happy for you. Enjoy it!!!!
Sponsored