Transmission Woes

MagnetiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Update* 03/02 Was a burnt clutch at 30k miles with original transmission fluid. Notes say the fluid was black but at level. Seems to be an issue with this transmission.

Started at 30,000 miles. I was at a light and the truck wouldn't accelerate.

Now at 31,000 the gears are all over the place the longer I drive it.

Yesterday, it was shifting from 1st to 5th and at one point locked in 7th gear. Major thump when back to 1st at a stop.

Finally have an appointment for Monday at the dealer. I got the extended warranty as well. Love the truck but hopefully this doesn't continue without a real fix. ?

I need something reliable and don't want to trade it in for a Toyota. I want to buy M'erican ??
Sponsored

Last edited:

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Started at 30,000 miles. I was at a light and the truck wouldn't accelerate.

Now at 31,000 the gears are all over the place the longer I drive it.

Yesterday, it was shifting from 1st to 5th and at one point locked in 7th gate. Major thump when back to first at a stop.

Finally have an appointment for Monday at the dealer. I got the extended warranty as well. Love the truck but hopefully this doesn't continue without a real fix. ?

I need something reliable and don't want to trade it in for a Toyota. I want to but M'erican ??
Sadly, this sounds too familiar...although I'd wish mine hadn't lasted past my warranty...good for you on having extended warranty...let us know how it turns out and best of luck...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
Isn't our ten speed pretty much the same as in the F150? I took some comfort in hearing that. Are 150 owners posting about their failed 10 speeds? After driving a RAM 3/4 ton auto for 6 years or so and then to a 5 speed Chevy Allison, I am impressed with the performance of the Ranger auto. Glad I went with the extended coverage. Peace of mind is worth a thou.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Isn't our ten speed pretty much the same as in the F150? I took some comfort in hearing that. Are 150 owners posting about their failed 10 speeds? After driving a RAM 3/4 ton auto for 6 years or so and then to a 5 speed Chevy Allison, I am impressed with the performance of the Ranger auto. Glad I went with the extended coverage. Peace of mind is worth a thou.
My understanding is it is EXACTLY the same transmission as in the F-150.

Almost 4 years and just turned 36k - all good here. I know Sid, I have 59k left until it explodes... :)

OP
OP
MagnetiK

MagnetiK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
i wonder if part of the problem is the trucks leaving with less than full on trans fluid.
Noone wants to check it for some odd reason. I had 2 mechanics argue with me that there is NO dip stick attached to the pan. One said NO THERE ISNT! Take it to the dealer! A service person at a Ford dealer argued with me that it is completely sealed with no way to check.

When I let the truck warm up I would park it on a steep slanted driveway and move it into park, reverse, neutral, drive. It worked at first but now not as much.

Last edited:

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Noone wants to check it for some odd reason. I had 2 mechanics argue with me that there is a dip stick attached to the pan. One said NO THERE ISNT! Take it to the dealer! A service person at a Ford dealer argued with me that it is completely sealed with no way to check.

When I let the truck warm up I would park it on a steep slanted driveway and move it into park, reverse, neutral, drive. It worked at first but now not as much.
I had a dealer tell me first they couldn't check it and when I said "you mean to tell me you are saying you cannot check the transmission fluid on a stock vehicle?" - he then said it would cost me $75. I asked that they check it while they had the truck in for a recall check (the tail lights, which I never had a problem with - I just wanted to stop being bugged about the recall). I will not be visiting this dealer again.....

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Did They check the fluid?
Are you referring to mine? If so, no they did not. I keep thinking I should do the "cold" check to see what I find but I think I'm over thinking it. Other than the cold shift issue (which is a characteristic of the transmission), I really have no complaints with mine. It shifts beautifully. I did change my tune from a soft shift to a "regular shift" tune - thinking that might be better for the transmission - less slippage- But otherwise I have nothing to complain about.
Sponsored