Transmission Woes

BettaRanga

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Screw 4x4 Lariat 501a Blk App Carbonized Gray
I thought it was just me needing to get used to the 10-speed tranny. My 2019 wants to run in 6th or 7th gear when I'm cruising at 25-30 in a residential area so it lugs, especially in warmer weather. I've actually got to where I manually shift in those situations so I can stay down in 4th or 5th gear. And it has some hard shifts up and down to 8th when under lower torque situations. If it shifts hard, I can count on it being in 8th when I look at the display. Hope they come out with a fix soon. As much as I love my Hot Pepper Red truck, it's giving me a wondering eye due to the tranny issues.
This was normal behavior for me too but it seemed to get better after transmission learning period. Maybe I just drove it differently, but I must say my Silverado shifts much smoother. I usually don’t know it’s shifting except for the sound.
Sponsored

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Like I said, we're the Beta testers.
What do you mean 'beta testers'? Do you mean for the 10R80 transmission that's been used in F150's since 2017, 2 years before the 5G NA Ranger?

MaxE731

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4
Occupation
Maintenance Technician
This was normal behavior for me too but it seemed to get better after transmission learning period. Maybe I just drove it differently, but I must say my Silverado shifts much smoother. I usually don’t know it’s shifting except for the sound.
My Ranger has just rolled over 33,000 miles. Not sure how long the learning period goes. I do know that my transmission works more like expected when the weather is cold... stays in lower gears longer at slower speeds, shifts smoothly in and out of 8th gear in all torque ranges. Makes me wonder if a higher viscosity transmission fluid would alleviate these issues.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
My Ranger has just rolled over 33,000 miles. Not sure how long the learning period goes. I do know that my transmission works more like expected when the weather is cold... stays in lower gears longer at slower speeds, shifts smoothly in and out of 8th gear in all torque ranges. Makes me wonder if a higher viscosity transmission fluid would alleviate these issues.
you can do the adaptive learning cycle in a half an hour by following the procedures in the tech manual.
you dont need thousands of miles on the odometer.
1687368975834.png

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
dont.gif

Dr_Strangelove

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 XLT Supercrew 4x4
Occupation
Art & Design
With Ford defaulting to valve bodies as a proscribed solution, an alternative if I want to avoid the whole ordeal might be a 'performance' rebuild since there seems to be addressing some line pressures as they relate to lockup. It seems SunCoast Performance is the authority for Ford Trucks so $1400+ less installation. I have no idea how to deal with the programming at that point.

Going all in with them on their least expensive built trans (overbuilt for our trucks, but maybe a good thing) is seven grand.

Is that a good investment? It's a big percentage of the initial value/cost of the truck. I guess I'd have to determine what my return is in the long run and whether I would rather turn around and start putting money into another depreciating asset.

If you're not having any issues yet and you want to do this just for the peace of mind; then no I don't think it's a good use of money. I cannot fathom you even breaking even on the transmission upgrade unless you're going to become personally invested long term in finding a buyer for it that is as equally educated about 5g Rangers and 10R80 transmissions as you are. I think even that is a long shot.

I think the best things for you to do for time being is maintain your vehicle to the best of your abilities and save your money for trouble down the road. If you will lose sleep over this then perhaps an extended power train warranty would help but I'm of the opinion that those are more often than not wasted money as well. I like to pay into my own "warranty" program so at least I'm the one pocketing the profits if it isn't used.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
What do you mean 'beta testers'? Do you mean for the 10R80 transmission that's been used in F150's since 2017, 2 years before the 5G NA Ranger?
My dad owned an 87 Ranger he bought used but in good shape. The transmission failed around 120K miles and we put a used one in. It lasted less than 30K miles. Once it failed again we sold the truck for next to nothing.

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, I mean exactly that. Don't tell me the trans was fine until it went into a smaller, lighter truck.

Reactions: TJC

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Yes, I mean exactly that. Don't tell me the trans was fine until it went into a smaller, lighter truck.
It is fine. Considering the millions since 2017 of F150s, Mustangs, Explorers, Navigators, Aviators, Everests, Transits, Expeditions, Endeavors, and Rangers out there with the 10R80, with a small percentage complaining about 'hard shifting'. Not to mention GM products that use the same platform.
Now, the new 6G Rangers and Broncos are getting the 10R60 trans, a new, unproven design. THOSE are beta testers as Broncos are already seeing problems (or so I've heard).

Rocketeer61

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
When it happens to someone else, it's a complaint. When it happens to you, it's a problem. There is a whole lot more going on with the 10R80 than hard shifting and anyone reading the posts here knows that. Seeing the abundance (not the small percentage) of serious and extremely expensive glitches and seeing that there have been enough of them to warrant the filing of more than one class action lawsuit tells me that Beta testing is indeed what is going on. Ford needs to stop pissing down our backs and telling us it's raining and a few of my fellow forumites need to stop telling those of us with lemon trannies that it's all in our heads. As for GM's involvement, we are talking about the same carmaker that brought us the Saturn VTI train wreck so no surprise there.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
When it happens to someone else, it's a complaint. When it happens to you, it's a problem. There is a whole lot more going on with the 10R80 than hard shifting and anyone reading the posts here knows that. Seeing the abundance (not the small percentage) of serious and extremely expensive glitches and seeing that there have been enough of them to warrant the filing of more than one class action lawsuit tells me that Beta testing is indeed what is going on. Ford needs to stop pissing down our backs and telling us it's raining and a few of my fellow forumites need to stop telling those of us with lemon trannies that it's all in our heads. As for GM's involvement, we are talking about the same carmaker that brought us the Saturn VTI train wreck so no surprise there.
No one said it's all in your head. But anything you buy that's mass produced will eventually have issues. There's been a handful here who've had problems with theirs and yes when it happens to you it is a problem, just like my problem with my Unleashed tune. But it's not a widespread problem where everyone's is failing.

IDK it seems like the whole world has gone down the drain these past few years and just about everything you buy now is junk. When I read reviews for products (any product) it seems there isn't one that everyone is happy with. Some say that product worked great while others say it fell apart after the first few uses. I bought what I thought was a premium dash cam (Thinkware U1000) and it died on me 2 months out of warranty, $400.00 down the drain! My only suggestion is either don't buy anything ever again or make sure you get the extended warranty if you want better protection. Sadly it seems like the days of buying well built premium products are rare now.

Also like Jason said, there's been millions of these on the road for 7+ years now with many still performing perfect. The GM version while similar still isn't a fair comparison because it's not the exact same transmission that we have.

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Take this link for what it is. It's from a lemon law lawyer, but it's pretty fair with the facts of a few cases. I think its justified for some people to go to court over it.
I hate when Ford, or any manufacturer says "its normal". but they have to push back on the frivolous complaints first and I get that. There's a lot of people that blow things way out of proportion because of some entitlement or something. Someone who has a genuine problem will be back again (likely a little more upset) but at least Fords time and money wasn't wasted on the entitled guy who now gave up his quest for new parts when nothing was broken. Browse our complaints posts here and you will see a lot of those frivolous complaints amongst our peers.

Even my ex wife was guilty of blowing things out of proportion. She found out that it worked and did it often. During one of our court appearances during our divorce, she put on this huge theatrical performance about the time I threw my coffee mug at the wall from frustration and anger at her ridiculous attitude over splitting some assets. She was the opposite side of the room, but she claimed i tried to kill her with the mug. Not even close.

Anyways, I digress. I believe our transmission has some issues, its not garbage though, except for a few examples that have happened here to some members. For the vast majority of people, the trans will work for the life of the vehicle.

https://lemonlawexperts.com/fords-new-transmission-proves-far-from-tough/

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Granted there are owners on here that have had problems with their transmissions and even a few failures. If you take into account the number of these that are in Rangers on the road the problematic ones are in low numbers compared. I’m not saying I want to be one of the unfortunate ones but there will be some.

Much like another thread on R5G for gas in my oil or I think I threw a rod. How many of us can say after we mauled both those threads any of us had similar issues or our engines imploded from supposed thinned out oil…

444EAF8C-E513-4985-AD95-B021A9E63731.gif

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
agreed. im logical enough to understand anything can have some issues or bugs. no car or truck is perfect or going to be issue free forever. But what burns me is that ford is not taking care of customers correctly. If i would have gone to the dealer and things were not a hassle, run around, or band aid where the need is surgery and ford / ford dealer took care of the problem id be a happy camper. also a happy future ford customer. but as it stands im never going to buy a new ford again. ford and ford dealers treat customers poorly. so far they have not lived up to the warranty they promised and made it clear for me they were not going to do so. ford made a calculated choice how to deal with this 10r80 thing whatever the issue is, and it seems they picked screwing several customers instead of doing things right.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.
Take this link for what it is. It's from a lemon law lawyer, but it's pretty fair with the facts of a few cases. I think its justified for some people to go to court over it.
I hate when Ford, or any manufacturer says "its normal". but they have to push back on the frivolous complaints first and I get that. There's a lot of people that blow things way out of proportion because of some entitlement or something. Someone who has a genuine problem will be back again (likely a little more upset) but at least Fords time and money wasn't wasted on the entitled guy who now gave up his quest for new parts when nothing was broken. Browse our complaints posts here and you will see a lot of those frivolous complaints amongst our peers.

Even my ex wife was guilty of blowing things out of proportion. She found out that it worked and did it often. During one of our court appearances during our divorce, she put on this huge theatrical performance about the time I threw my coffee mug at the wall from frustration and anger at her ridiculous attitude over splitting some assets. She was the opposite side of the room, but she claimed i tried to kill her with the mug. Not even close.

Anyways, I digress. I believe our transmission has some issues, its not garbage though, except for a few examples that have happened here to some members. For the vast majority of people, the trans will work for the life of the vehicle.

https://lemonlawexperts.com/fords-new-transmission-proves-far-from-tough/
Damn. Another one banned.
Sponsored