First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
So my 2020 Ranger was coming up to 32,000km ( About 20,000 miles) and I decided to follow the Canadian service manual which said to change the transmission fluid. I took it to my near by Ford Dealer on a Thursday. Got the truck back on Friday. It sat in the driveway until Sunday. That Sunday I had a 100 mile trip to do. On the major hiway the Transmission stated shifting down to 5 th gear then back up to 9 th gear . I was doing about 70 miles/hr. I slowed to 60 Mile/hr and it seamed to settle dow. But occasionally it would randomly shift from 9 th gear to 5th gear and back again.
on Monday I brought the truck to a different Ford dealer. They did a diagnostic OBD reading and came up with 50 different codes. They could not fix it for 2 weeks.. Having extended warranty on this truck, I drove it for 300 miles subsequently and the transmission worked ok. Just misbehaving once the whole trip.
After the two weeks of flawless driving I took it back to the dealer and picked it up the next day. Originally from the diagnostic they were going to do an extensive service to the trany . As it turned out there was a bulletin from Frord that said replace the firmware to the Transmission control unit. So that’s all they did. Now at 42,000 km ( 26,000 Miles ) the transmission is actually working better than before. Before the transmission was slow to gear down on a hill at around 60 to 70 km/hr ( 37 to 43 miles/hr) now it switches just as the engine starts to labour. FYI
Sponsored

Last edited:

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I have heard of others that had transmission shifting erratically that was fixed by software upgrade.
In your case it seems odd the problem occurred after a trans service.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
So my 2020 Ranger was coming up to 32,000km ( About 20,000 miles) and I decided to follow the Canadian service manual which said to change the transmission fluid. I took it to my near by Ford Dealer on a Thursday. Got the truck back on Friday. It sat in the driveway until Sunday. That Sunday I had a 100 mile trip to do. On the major hiway the Transmission stated shifting down to 5 th gear then back up to 9 th gear . I was doing about 70 miles/hr. I slowed to 60 Mile/hr and it seamed to settle dow. But occasionally it would randomly shift from 9 th gear to 5th gear and back again.
on Monday I brought the truck to a different Ford dealer. They did a diagnostic OBD reading and came up with 50 different codes. They could not fix it for 2 weeks.. Having extended warranty on this truck, I drove it for 300 miles subsequently and the transmission worked ok. Just misbehaving once the whole trip.
After the two weeks of flawless driving I took it back to the dealer and picked it up the next day. Originally from the diagnostic they were going to do an extensive service to the trany . As it turned out there was a bulletin from Frord that said replace the firmware to the Transmission control unit. So that’s all they did. Now at 42,000 km ( 26,000 Miles ) the transmission is actually working better than before. Before the transmission was slow to gear down on a hill at around 60 to 70 km/hr ( 37 to 43 miles/hr) now it switches just as the engine starts to labour. FYI
Can you share the TSB number?
Sponsored