OP

jblc

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT FX2 supercab
Hmmm, odd about how easy it is to compress for some people.

For some reason, these were quite hard to compress. I have a fairly good estimate of my max force in bench/etc, and this was not an easy compression.

I wonder if some shocks (depending on their storage history) or manufacturing tolerance, are easier or harder until they fully break in with use?
I did 5x break-in cycles pressing into the ground from above; it took leaning over half my body weight onto a shock. That's not something I could do bench pressing in an awkward confined position (or sideways pulling upwards)
Sponsored

db_tanker

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 2018 Honda Civic EX 5 door
Occupation
Process Professional
been thinking about the shock upgrade for mine...and reading this...has be puzzled...Ford says we aren't supposed to load up the frame?!? Jacking up the rear and letting the diff relax while both sides are supported on jack stands...not allowed? When and why did this start? Those frames are, I think, tough enough to take this...

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
I'm stuck in the middle of trying to install Bilstein 5100s on the rear. How do people compress the shocks enough to mount?

This isn't on a lift.

It took 2 mins to remove the old shocks, but I've been struggling for an hour to try and compress them enough to mount the new ones.
It'd be easy if I could lift the vehicle enough to have the wheels sag, but the manual says not to lift on frame members on the rear-- but only the axle which obviously doesn't help :)

I do have a tow hitch, but no hi-lift with which to lift the rear...

Zip ties, cables, etc do not fit into the cradle that holds either end of the shock (tolerances are tight), so I can't place compress beforehand, mount, and the release whatever holds it together.

What do people do?
Although I was on a lift I put both hands on the bottom and over compressed them to slip them into place. Do you have an extra jack ? Worst case maybe some cord that loops over each end and attached in the middle, put it in place then use scissors to clip? If you did that make big loops doubled over so when you clip or untie it you can clip each loop.and remove?

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I removed the spare for extra working room (good chance to practice accessing the spare). I needed a bottle jack to push my Fox rears up into place.

Tesseract

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Ranger XLT S-crew FX4
the difference between tailgate damper owners and non owners
?

I have a tailgate damper and I was able to install rear Icon 2.0 shocks by hand with the truck on the ground (no lift/support). I just lay on my back and grabbed it by the sides of the tube and pressed it up so I didn't risk catching my fingers by doing it from the very bottom.

Tesseract

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Ranger XLT S-crew FX4
must have been early on right after the damper purchase
can you do it today? the muscles decay pretty quick once the damper is installed.
Hah, I don't know. I think I had done it shortly after putting the damper on. I might struggle to even get under the truck now due to all this atrophy.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I couldn't compress my Eibach's. If I tried to install before having both shoulders operated on who knows. I lifted the frame to get the rear tire to droop an jacked up the shock with another floor jack.

Aleut dude

First Name
Agafangel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 2wd Ranger XL
Occupation
Warehouseman
20210312_154752.jpg
I squished my Icon shocks in place by hand. Not super easy but once the bolt was in on one end the rest went easy. No jack, no removing the spare. Maybe get another hand to put the bolt in while you compress the shock with both hands?

seanellaz

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT CrewCab Fx4
Occupation
Healthcare
Vehicle Showcase
I'm stuck in the middle of trying to install Bilstein 5100s on the rear. How do people compress the shocks enough to mount?

This isn't on a lift.

It took 2 mins to remove the old shocks, but I've been struggling for an hour to try and compress them enough to mount the new ones.
It'd be easy if I could lift the vehicle enough to have the wheels sag, but the manual says not to lift on frame members on the rear-- but only the axle which obviously doesn't help :)

I do have a tow hitch, but no hi-lift with which to lift the rear...

Zip ties, cables, etc do not fit into the cradle that holds either end of the shock (tolerances are tight), so I can't place compress beforehand, mount, and the release whatever holds it together.

What do people do?
I would lift the rear @ the differential as Hi as possible (https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/center-jack-points.10268/#post-204513) Yes I know, this could cause space time to collapse into a singularity and we would all die. In the process the axle might explode into millions of tiny pieces. That did not happen when I raised the rear of the truck using the rear diff thusly, perhaps because Mercury was not in retrograde. I would then place the rear of the frame on jack stands, and SLOWLY remove the jack from the axle, letting the frame hold the truck up. The rear axle is now hanging from the existing shocks or from the springs being fully extended. This could destroy the truck causing it to bend in the middle and from that point forward to drag the ground in the middle. I think the frame is not made of lead foil and can handle it. I would then use the jack to compress the axle up until the shock bolt holes line up. Of course, not having done this exact process, and having no Ph.D. in structural engineering and not working for Ford, I cannot certify that in the end you would not have destroyed your truck and all the neighbor's houses in the process. But I do think it unlikely. Good luck / buena suerte.

Waxthis

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Controls Tech
Just use a floor jack on the hitch to let the suspension decompress a bit. Don’t need the wheels off the ground

THIS^^^^^^^^^

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
MUSCLE!

DrizzyDrake

First Name
Drake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Legacy GTB, RX7 FD, soon buying a ranger
Occupation
Technician at Subaru
I've replaced shocks on several vehicles now. Usually just a lot of force to press it into place by hand

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
THIS^^^^^^^^^
I put a block of wood UNDER the spare tire (Rim) and jacked it up from there...Same effect. Worked great, took 10 minutes per side... I did the BOTTOM bolt first, then swung it up and stabbed the top bolt.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I couldn't compress my Eibach's. If I tried to install before having both shoulders operated on who knows. I lifted the frame to get the rear tire to droop an jacked up the shock with another floor jack.
This^^^^...no muscle or brute force needed...