Fox Rear Shocks

Dits

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
I like Fox shocks on all my trucks. Just installed the Ranger T6 ones on the rear last night. Part # 985-24-069 and working very well. Droop to full extension is 15.7 to 24.8. Our NA Rangers are a 20 inch rear installed length. Only thing you will need are a couple 12MM by 18MM sleeve bushings for the uppers on both sides (tap in). I picked out some 1" length brass ones at local general store. God Bless our fighting men and women this Memorial weekend.
Sponsored

Jmeo

First Name
Jaime
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2019 Ford Ranger SC Lariat
Occupation
Captain, Firefighter
I also like Fox shocks, did you feel an improvement?

OP
OP

Dits

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Firstly, I think Ford did a good job with the factory valving (mine is not FX4) with trade-offs around ride quality. The Fox are firmer ...ex..you can feel the transmission shifts a little now and the "float" at road speed over "not exactly new" roads is gone. Driving "feel" is increased and I am anticipating a better towing experience with my boat (18" fish and ski) this weekend. Lastly, only shocks I will purchase since they are rebuildable.
This is why I use Fox on all my Super Duty trucks.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Sport Lariat 2WD Plat. White
I figured I would add to this review.

I just installed last night, didn't see a need for sleeve bushings.

I think they do a great job of improving the ride, these are the shocks the 2wd should have come on the truck, I feel the reviews mentioning a bouncy ride would be reduced to a large degree.

If you are driving on a straight level road and turn your steering wheel back and forth quickly you will notice a side to side wallowing, that is just about gone completely for me.

Going over inconsistent road surfaces would cause the rear end to whip up and bounce exaggerating the road imperfections. This is greatly reduced, when the rear wheels hit that imperfection it simple goes up and down and settles nicely without magnifying the issue. It's like grabbing a dog's tail before it has a chance to get away, ok not the best way to put it but you get the picture.

I recommend this 100% and I was very spectacle, haven't done any highway driving yet but I can't see how that wouldn't also be improved.

Give @Stage3Motorsports a shout and they'll give you a discount.

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
Firstly, I think Ford did a good job with the factory valving (mine is not FX4) with trade-offs around ride quality. The Fox are firmer ...ex..you can feel the transmission shifts a little now and the "float" at road speed over "not exactly new" roads is gone. Driving "feel" is increased and I am anticipating a better towing experience with my boat (18" fish and ski) this weekend. Lastly, only shocks I will purchase since they are rebuildable.
This is why I use Fox on all my Super Duty trucks.
Curious how the fox shocks impacted towing. Can you share any observations?

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
I figured I would add to this review.

I just installed last night, didn't see a need for sleeve bushings.

I think they do a great job of improving the ride, these are the shocks the 2wd should have come on the truck, I feel the reviews mentioning a bouncy ride would be reduced to a large degree.

If you are driving on a straight level road and turn your steering wheel back and forth quickly you will notice a side to side wallowing, that is just about gone completely for me.

Going over inconsistent road surfaces would cause the rear end to whip up and bounce exaggerating the road imperfections. This is greatly reduced, when the rear wheels hit that imperfection it simple goes up and down and settles nicely without magnifying the issue. It's like grabbing a dog's tail before it has a chance to get away, ok not the best way to put it but you get the picture.

I recommend this 100% and I was very spectacle, haven't done any highway driving yet but I can't see how that wouldn't also be improved.

Give @Stage3Motorsports a shout and they'll give you a discount.
How does it do over speed bumps ? Factory shocks seem to be too weak to control the spring rebound.

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How does it do over speed bumps ? Factory shocks seem to be too weak to control the spring rebound.
Haven't had to yet but I'm sure it will be an improvement.

Str8sh0otr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4
@Stage3Motorsports for those of us shopping around can you characterize the difference between aftermarket shock options (i.e. how are they valved compared to stock stiffer/softer and by what %)

Want to approach this as scientifically as possible. Doesnt seem to be much info out there.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
@Stage3Motorsports for those of us shopping around can you characterize the difference between aftermarket shock options (i.e. how are they valved compared to stock stiffer/softer and by what %)

Want to approach this as scientifically as possible. Doesnt seem to be much info out there.
This would be outstanding information!

Jerry Caldwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired Architect
What I need is adjustable damping shocks for the rear. This would really help in tow situations as well as off road applications. Anyone know of some reasonably priced (under $200 each) adjustable damping shocks for our trucks?

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My question is do the Fox shocks maintain the smooth ride of the stock shock but handle bumps better? Harsher over bumps than stock shocks?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
My question is do the Fox shocks maintain the smooth ride of the stock shock but handle bumps better? Harsher over bumps than stock shocks?
I have a similar thread asking for info on a coilover kit set to 0" of lift. I'm interested in a little more travel, and a lot more stability, but close to no lift if possible.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
What I need is adjustable damping shocks for the rear. This would really help in tow situations as well as off road applications. Anyone know of some reasonably priced (under $200 each) adjustable damping shocks for our trucks?
Air shocks with an onboard compressor with control in cab ?

Mellow

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So far, the Fox 2.0 rear shocks have been a great upgrade for me. Not nearly as bouncy and feel more like it should have felt from the factory. Once you get the fox shocks and then remove one oem shock (I have a non-FX4 2wd) you can tell the difference... I could compress the shocks with one hand easily... with the fox shock I could lean on them w/all my weight and they would barely budge. So both dampening and rebound are stronger... works great on the hwy and also handle any whoop-di-doos and bumps MUCH better in my opinion... No idea about towing sorry.

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
. I could compress the shocks with one hand easily... with the fox shock I could lean on them w/all my weight and they would barely budge.
If the Fox shock can't be compressed then it may be adding spring rate in addition to damping. A purely hydraulic system can be manipulated, albeit slowly, by hand.
Could be the Fox have substantially increased gas pressurization over the factory shocks? Possibly the Ford shocks are losing their air pressurization?
Sponsored