Softening the Ride…HELP!

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Yes.

The standard Ranger rear spring is a monoleaf.

The Tremor has a multi-leaf pack (5 leafs I believe).

I put Tremor leafs on the rear of my truck (already had Bilsteins) and it did improve ride and handling.

Edit: Just looked at the pics in my swap thread and they are 4 leaf.

img_1670-jpeg.jpg
That is nice! Another thing added to the future mods list.
Sponsored

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
There's a YouTube video where they said the ranger rode worse than the Tacoma unloaded, but rode nicer than the Tacoma loaded.
There's videos on the parabolic spring.
In the end, there's a 'give & take'.
But, reading and reading these forums, the swapping out the rear shocks for Fox or Bilstein is the overwhelming suggested economical solution.
Myself, I'm going to start with a fiberglass canopy, then the rear shocks. I don't like the idea of hauling around bags of sand, but there is the added benefit of rear traction with the added weight.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I'd have to search for them again.
Just go to YouTube and search.
Here's one where I remember them talking about the ride loaded vs unloaded.

Blurpleranger

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Silver
Occupation
Teacher
Vehicle Showcase
After reading this and researching online, I feel you're right. So I cancelled my Bilstein order and am getting a set of Fox 2.0 for the rear and see if that helps. It's not body roll I care about, its the inability of the rear to absorb bumps and imperfections.
Hey DapperDean, I replaced my fox 2.0 coilovers, and rear shocks with Fox 2.5's and I've had them sitting in my garage, all cleaned up. Just haven't had the time to attempt to sell them. Bought them at Fairway Ford here in SoCal and replaced them at 9,000 miles. If you're interested I'd let em go for $700, that's two front coilovers (set at default 2"lift and never adjusted)and two rear fox 2.0's. Figured I'd offer. Best of luck, either way.

Added some photos for reference. Also the stance of the truck with these shocks can be viewed in that last pic.
20220604_124041.jpg
20220604_124142.jpg
20220604_124124.jpg
20220304_133623.jpg

Deleted member 15875

I’ve owned rangers since 84, have had 5 including my 22 FX4 super cab . The 22 is the smoothest riding truck ever.
Pretty smooth from my POV as well. If anything, too smooth in a sense.

Deleted member 15875

After reading this and researching online, I feel you're right. So I cancelled my Bilstein order and am getting a set of Fox 2.0 for the rear and see if that helps. It's not body roll I care about, its the inability of the rear to absorb bumps and imperfections.
You'll feel more bump impact with the Billstein's over stock in my experience having just installed 5100 rears. But it's far less of a boat ride now.

Philvarah

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT Splash
Occupation
Sales
Geez guys! The Ranger is a capable "TRUCK"! If you wanted a boulevard ride, you should have bought a Hyundai Santa Cruz or Honda Ridgeline!

In all fairness, ugly, knobby tires, and hard after-market shocks will indeed make the ride harsh. And the truth is, the OEM tires (Bridgestones in my case), are junk. I replaced mine with Michelin LTs, and the ride improved rather nicely.
Not sure of the Hankook AT's will perform on my FX4...

Fritz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XL
You'll feel more bump impact with the Billstein's over stock in my experience having just installed 5100 rears. But it's far less of a boat ride now.
Same. Also I feel like I got blown around excessively on the highway before and I think changing the front shocks helped?

Deleted member 15875

Same. Also I feel like I got blown around excessively on the highway before and I think changing the front shocks helped?
I only have rears at this point so I don't have any perspective on the fronts.

JimmyFD43

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
The overall ride is pretty good; however, I would like it to be a tad better (yes, I had a Ridgeline and traded it in because of the towing factor.) I have a 3-inch factory lift on my 22 4WD, and as I am NOT mechanically inclined, here I am asking youse guys about rear shocks. Does that lift make a difference in what shocks to install? I looked online (probably " in all the wrong places") and went to Carquest who told me that only FORD OE was available...True?

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I grin from ear to ear now, especially after the shock-strut-moonroof install this year. A shame I paid nearly $1,100 to upgrade the shocks struts with what should have been OEM on a $43,500 pickup truck. Adjusted my Hankook tire pressures to 32 psi - Lariat feels like it's riding on well cushioned/controlled rails. :blush:

IMG_0984.JPG

JimmyFD43

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I grin from ear to ear now, especially after the shock-strut-moonroof install this year. A shame I paid nearly $1,100 to upgrade the shocks struts with what should have been OEM on a $43,500 pickup truck. Adjusted my Hankook tire pressures to 32 psi - Lariat feels like it's riding on well cushioned/controlled rails. :blush:

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG
So, perhaps the "shocks" AND the air pressure change made a difference? lol My ride just might possibly be the way it is from the size and type of tire on the truck...and nothing to do with the shocks...more like Occam's razer...lol

Last edited:

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
So, perhaps the "shocks" AND the air pressure change made a difference? lol
I check my tires quarterly - they were down to around 28-29 psi (digital hand gauge)....

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
So, perhaps the "shocks" AND the air pressure change made a difference? lol My ride just might possibly be the way it is from the size and type of tire on the truck...and nothing to do with the shocks...more like Occam's razer...lol
I see you modified your post without notation.

Common Wisdom dictates that if you put oversize tires on a vehicle, then one compensates by beefing up the suspension (better shocks for sure).

My tires are completely OEM as per the image-OEM shocks were woefully inadequate.

Occam's Razor thought process is only relevant if one used sound judgement from the start.

Simple definition: Occam's Razor is the problem-solving principle that "entities should not be multiplied beyond necessity".
Sponsored