Best offroad ride quality

First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 and 2020 F350
We ride lots of Colorado trails and most are rocky. Which one will give the smoothest ride? A fX4 or Tremor?

I would also maybe like to add 33"s at some future time if that matters
Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Almost doesn’t matter because off road ride improvement will be in aftermarket shocks.

Budget- aftermarket fox or bilstein mono tube shocks
Good- remote reservoir
Better- remote reservoir with adjustable compression dampening

you asked for which model truck but since your talking 33’s then shocks are in your future.

OP
OP
First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 and 2020 F350
Almost doesn’t matter because off road ride improvement will be in aftermarket shocks.

Good- remote reservoir

you asked for which model truck but since your talking 33’s then shocks are in your future.
Looking at a 21 Ranger or maybe wait until a 22.
I currently have a Polaris Sxs with Fox Podiums on it and it rides good. I want a ride like that.
What about the Tuned by Ford Fox setup?
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/m...ranger-fox-ford-performance-2-suspension.html

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I currently have a Polaris Sxs with Fox Podiums on it and it rides good. I want a ride like that.
https://www.stage3motorsports.com/m...ranger-fox-ford-performance-2-suspension.html
I don't think any truck will give you a ride like your side by side unless you drop 10's of thousands of dollars in suspension upgrades or go buy a Raptor/TRX.

If you are looking at factory the tremor will be the better ride since it has remote reservoir shocks in the back. Tremor also comes with 32 inch tires from factory.

If you are mechanically incline or really want to customize it exactly like you want, an fx4 with the tuned by ford fox setup is very good too and will let you easily fit 33's.

OP
OP
First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 and 2020 F350

Good- remote reservoir

I don't think any truck will give you a ride like your side by side unless you drop 10's of thousands of dollars in suspension upgrades or go buy a Raptor/TRX.

If you are looking at factory the tremor will be the better ride since it has remote reservoir shocks in the back. Tremor also comes with 32 inch tires from factory.

If you are mechanically incline or really want to customize it exactly like you want, an fx4 with the tuned by ford fox setup is very good too and will let you easily fit 33's.
Is there any difference between the Ford Fox setup and the Fox shocks that come on the Tremor?

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Is there any difference between the Ford Fox setup and the Fox shocks that come on the Tremor?
You can read all about it in this thread.

Tuned by Ford Fox 2.0 Coilovers are different than aftermarket Fox 2.0 kit | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com

They also appear to not have the remote reservoir in the rear that the Tremor suspension package have. They also level your truck from the factory and give you a bigger lift where the Tremor keeps the rake and comes with a smaller lift.

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
In short, compared to the two the Tremor has fox shocks. I would say they are better than the Fox aftermarket kit because the Tremor has rear remote reservoirs. The disadvantage is that the front is not a threaded body like the aftermarket 2.0 kit. So, if you want to level it you would need about a 1" spacer in the front.

My comparisons off road is slim but the Tremor drives very nice off-road. Some lightly bumpy trails at 40-50mph in the Tremor feels great. I normally do not drive trails that quickly so maybe if I did there is a reason to go with the Fox 3.0 kit or other type but I am happy. You have your Polaris to bomb things in. On-road I felt the Tremor felt nicer than the FX4 too.

I would also say the fox shocks are only part of what makes the Tremor nice. Rear multi-leaf springs, interior is nicer (personal preference), driveshaft CV joint at the diff over U-Joints, tires have been great for me in the desert so far, etc

For how I use it, all I really need are lights and a level kit. I feel the package saved me money but some will say it is not worth it.

OP
OP
First Name
carl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150 and 2020 F350
In short, compared to the two the Tremor has fox shocks. I would say they are better than the Fox aftermarket kit because the Tremor has rear remote reservoirs. The disadvantage is that the front is not a threaded body like the aftermarket 2.0 kit. So, if you want to level it you would need about a 1" spacer in the front.

My comparisons off road is slim but the Tremor drives very nice off-road. Some lightly bumpy trails at 40-50mph in the Tremor feels great. I normally do not drive trails that quickly so maybe if I did there is a reason to go with the Fox 3.0 kit or other type but I am happy. You have your Polaris to bomb things in. On-road I felt the Tremor felt nicer than the FX4 too.

I would also say the fox shocks are only part of what makes the Tremor nice. Rear multi-leaf springs, interior is nicer (personal preference), driveshaft CV joint at the diff over U-Joints, tires have been great for me in the desert so far, etc

For how I use it, all I really need are lights and a level kit. I feel the package saved me money but some will say it is not worth it.
Thanks. The original plan was to sell the SXS and get a Bronco with the idea that we could drive to and from the trails as well as on the trails. Also it would be our winter vehicle the snow. With Ford's latest announcement about production and the hard tops I now figure it would be 2 years before I get a Bronco. So I started researching the Ranger.
We typically drive at 5-10 mph going up the trails and on the way back might hit 20.
The XP Turbo has 2.5" Fox Podiums and rides great on rocks. The Polaris General has Fox RC2's in 2.5" but it doesn't ride anywhere near as good as the XP Turbo. Part of that difference is the General has rear a arms and the XP Turbo has trailing arms..

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
They made quads for off road. They made trucks for mostly on road. You need both for the really bad trail. One to get there and one for the trails. It really depends on your definition of "rocky".

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Well, the Ranger, be it FX4 or Tremor is capable. You are coming from some prime off road vehicles to something with a solid axle and leaf springs.

You should probably be looking at a F150 Raptor to get the ride you want but the Tremor out of the box will do very good.

Look up the Stage3 performance YouTube videos. Their Ranger build went through the Fox 2.0 and 3.0 shocks and they explain it quite well.

Either way, even if you upgrade shocks in the future, I still think the Tremor has good value over the FX4....if you can find one at a good price.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I haven't driven a Tremor. But I'd bet it's ride quality both on and off road is quite a bit better than my FX-4.

From what I understand the Tremor suspension is basically the Ford Performance Fox coilover without height adjustability, the Ford Performance Fox rear shocks, and the multi leaf pack. Should be quite the step up from the FX-4 suspension.

33s might be doable on stock Tremor suspension. Especially if you stay skinny on stock wheels. 255/80-17ish.

FX-4 needs at least a level to fit those I believe.

bentroia

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Logistics
The Tremor. It has 32s fox shocks and multileaf springs that make it miles ahead of an fx4. With a $4k OEM spend you get those feature and pre wiring for accesories, nerf steps and ranger raptor wheels. I did the math, went that route, have spent about 8 hours on trails much rougher than rocky dirt roads and am really happy- impressed with it. A great value.
Sponsored