Bladimir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger 2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Electronic Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 19 lariat FX4 and agreed it felt like a boat. Also had the pulsating brake feel some complain about. Took it to the dealer yesterday for the fox 2.0 upgrade. I was given a 19 XLT FX4 as a loaner and couldn't believe how much stiffer the suspension felt. Less body roll in curves and brakes stopped smoothly as well.
I got my truck back today and the fox shocks are even stiffer, the rake is gone. I'm pretty happy with the ride now but wonder about the difference I felt between the loaner and my original ride quality.
Brakes still have the pulsing feeling but I wasn't expecting any change with the shock upgrade.

Pretty sure it's not just in my head but you never know. :facepalm:
How much did the Fox 2.0 upgrade?
Sponsored

MrAnalog

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4
Occupation
Engineer
Assuming heat treat procedures is the same.... is it?
Heat treatment doesn't affect spring rate. All steels have about the same rigidity (shear modulus).

It would only affect the strength of the spring - how far it can extend or compress and still return to its original length.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Heat treatment doesn't affect spring rate. All steels have about the same rigidity (shear modulus).

It would only affect the strength of the spring - how far it can extend or compress and still return to its original length.
Sure it affects it. So your saying the strength of the spring doesn't affect spring rate?

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I'd just be happy if the darn dealership wouldn't fill the tires to 45 PIS!!!!

Milton Lee

First Name
Milton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Lariat 4X2
Occupation
Retired USN F14 Tomcat fixer
Keep in mind a lot of reviewers get ultra picky and fault finding, even if it’s very minor. That’s what get views. I’ve been a mechanic for 20 years and driven countless cars and trucks of all types. That reviewer saying they got motion sickness is just ridiculous and hyperbole. Make it stiff and they’ll complain, make it soft and they’ll complain.

I have an FX2 that I just switched to Fox suspension for the lift. The stock setup is soft and can have some more rebound on the road, but felt good off-road for most occasions. There’s sacrifices in every setup and you cant make everyone happy. I think the stock setup is good for the majority of people.
View most YouTube reviews with a grain of salt. When they’re complaining about the number of USB ports, it should put the rest of their review in perspective.
Thanks for that write-up, many of the complaints are from first time truck buyers that nitpick things to death. I traded my 2004 Ford F150 XLT Lariet extended cab for the same trim Ranger. Yes, the Ranger 4 door rides different but not enough to comment or complain about. It is comfortable and sturdy, pulls my 18 foot boat with ease and still gets 22 mpg, twice what my old truck got.
Look, comfort is subjective, certain modifications will alter your trucks ride and long term durability, FACT, this truck is a well made truck with some minor imperfections, most of the imperfections are Fords own fault. You know, cheaping out on quality control and vendor mointoring, hiring tech's that have lost the art of troubleshooting, under -staffing shops at dealerships. That's an issue that the Ford leadership has to come to grips with, it's an issue that dealerships too have to recognize and fix at their level. For the dealership, they need to understand, the sale is simply the beginning of a customer relationship, poor customer service will eat into their bottom line quicker than poor sales. Just saying.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I was driving around at 40 psi the first few days. Then I went to 37.
A couple days ago my wife was riding with me. I told her we were feeling all the bumps in the road because the psi in the tires are too high. She said: 'So what! It's a truck!" :)

Doogie

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 2wd/ 2003 F150 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Re(tired) Electrician
Keep in mind a lot of reviewers get ultra picky and fault finding, even if it’s very minor. That’s what get views. I’ve been a mechanic for 20 years and driven countless cars and trucks of all types. That reviewer saying they got motion sickness is just ridiculous and hyperbole. Make it stiff and they’ll complain, make it soft and they’ll complain.

I have an FX2 that I just switched to Fox suspension for the lift. The stock setup is soft and can have some more rebound on the road, but felt good off-road for most occasions. There’s sacrifices in every setup and you cant make everyone happy. I think the stock setup is good for the majority of people.
View most YouTube reviews with a grain of salt. When they’re complaining about the number of USB ports, it should put the rest of their review in perspective.
Hey Krisrayner, you said you have the fox suspension. Im getting ready to have my Ford dealer install a fox suspension. Are you happy with the suspension? I have a 2WD and live in Louisiana where the roads are horrible. My truck bounces way to much. My dealer tells me for $2200 I can have a night and day diff in ride with front adjustable coilovers and shocks in the back. Is he telling me the truth ? Thanks Doug