First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
They did the same thing on the Escapes before this. They removed the shifter light and harness (the electric parking brake button is still lit)at the start of 2018 production. Then for 2019, they discontinued the separate rear amber turn signal and replaced it with an all red single tail/brakelight fixture for one model year and then changed everything for the 4G 2020 Escapes.
whatsgoingon.gif
Sponsored

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
a tuneable damper is a great idea.
perhaps we can have an adjustable flow jet to tailor make our decent rate to appease a wider audience and therefore grow the group.
we could have super slow for those worried that a kid in the next town might ride his bike over and get thunked on the noggin.
and we could have other adjustment so it drops like Ivanka Trump on prom night, yet cushions the last inch with a sweet shoosh.
you combine these features with a gentle glow, and you've got a real winner.
NHTSA may require a 140dB alert horn whenever the gate is lowered.

But it's just a cheap hydraulic damper- why not a stainless grade 8 jackscrew? C'mon Ford! spend the money you saved on cargo hooks and shifter lights!

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
Been a while since I've done it but I've used the voice commands to adjust the temp and change the radio without issue. Doesn't work to change gears or open the tailgate though.
"Hey, Siri! Is the heat on?"
Just a moment... OK, now playing, 'The Heat is On' from 'Beverly Hills Cop.'"
"@#$%^?!!"
I didn't get that: would you like me to call your mother a fire truck?

Last edited:

RangerEd

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 501A, Trailer & Sport Packages
Occupation
Senior Director of Operations
Hey guys, recently purchased a new 2020 Ranger Lariat 2wd and came across something i found strange. At night with the headlights on the P R N D S letters on the center console do not light up. The buttons for the auto start/stop do illuminate, and it seems everything else that is supposed to light up does I do have the ambient lighting in this vehicle.

i brought this to my selling dealers attention and was told my trucks gear selector is not supposed to illuminate at night, as my truck “did not have that package”. I find that very odd, as i have seen other trucks XL and XLT,s that did illuminate. The dealer was unable to tell me what package i would have had to have ordered to have a silly light for the gear selection.

Anyways, just curious if anyone else has ran into this, and also if anyone’s elses does or does not work. Thanks, i attached a picture of my gear shifter for reference. Anyone else have a ranger that does not light up PRNDS at night, or just me?

43A73669-D906-4D2E-ADB7-05252FA3311D.jpeg
2020 Lariat with 501A package and mine light up.

JHC14

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2017 Escape Titanium
Occupation
Executive Pastor
I checked my 2019 Latiat and the gearshift indicator does indeed light up. Maybe it changed for the 2020 model.

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
I checked my 2019 Latiat and the gearshift indicator does indeed light up. Maybe it changed for the 2020 model.
Yea, I previously said my 2019 Lariat didn't, but I thought everyone was talking about 'lighting' up to tell you what gear you were in.
The p-s selections do light up (backlight), but don't indicate what selection I've picked.
I have to look on the dash display to see that.
No big deal, but a pretty dumb omission, in my opinion.

REDWM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2011 F150, 77 MGB, 2023 Bronco Sport
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2019 XLT FX4 with the 301A package. After reading all the posts, I just had to check. The shift selector lights go on when the door is opened but then go off when the truck is started. When the headlights are turned on the selector lights go on but no indicator. I always use the dash indicator anyway. I checked my 2011 F-150 and the same thing except there is a red indicator at the shift selector. You'd think Ford would keep it the same but my 2012 Escape does not have any lights on the shift selector. I also agree that the HVAC controls should be lit in the daytime when the sun is so bright that everything below the touchscreen is dark and black.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I honestly have no idea if mine light up or not. I'm so use to just pulling it back 3 clicks (4 for fun mode) it's second nature.
2019 Lariat and mine light up. (3/19 build)

Although since it doesn't indicate which gear you are in at that location, I really don't see the point.
It's a weird thing. It's nice to have it light up, and ideal to have the current position lit in a different color.. but obviously not needed since I think it's second nature for most people to pull the handle back only one notch for R, or to pull it as far back as it will go for D (it won't go all the way back into S without more effort iirc - either the button has to be pressed in further than normal or you have to go into D and then pull again for S?). Not to mention it being indicated in the instrument cluster.

I guess the labels next to the shifter are purely for reference.. good for the first few times you drive an unfamiliar vehicle.. not worth the added complexity after that

jlturner57

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Extended Cab Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Yep, my 2019 W 302a package lights up as soon as I open the door.

Gafi26

First Name
Galvir
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ranger xlt sports 2020
Occupation
Auto mechanic
Hey guys, recently purchased a new 2020 Ranger Lariat 2wd and came across something i found strange. At night with the headlights on the P R N D S letters on the center console do not light up. The buttons for the auto start/stop do illuminate, and it seems everything else that is supposed to light up does I do have the ambient lighting in this vehicle.

i brought this to my selling dealers attention and was told my trucks gear selector is not supposed to illuminate at night, as my truck “did not have that package”. I find that very odd, as i have seen other trucks XL and XLT,s that did illuminate. The dealer was unable to tell me what package i would have had to have ordered to have a silly light for the gear selection.

Anyways, just curious if anyone else has ran into this, and also if anyone’s elses does or does not work. Thanks, i attached a picture of my gear shifter for reference. Anyone else have a ranger that does not light up PRNDS at night, or just me?

43A73669-D906-4D2E-ADB7-05252FA3311D.jpeg
Mine have light

image.jpg

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
ok, to put this to rest and solve the real world problem of this...how many of us are so inept that we can never get it into the right gear unless we have a little light beside the shifter and literally holding our hand like our mom used to do???

show of hands?? anyone???

if this continues, we should debate the effectiveness of our turn signal needing a little light telling us if its up or down, then further we should add lights on the wiper washer stick as well indicating its position. then another on the gas pedal telling us how much we have it depressed...perhaps the light on the floor gets brighter the further we push it.....i could go on, but i digress...back to the show of hands....
I think you forgot the most important light of all? I really think we need a light to show us if the damper is down. ?

JoeC

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
ok, to put this to rest and solve the real world problem of this...how many of us are so inept that we can never get it into the right gear unless we have a little light beside the shifter and literally holding our hand like our mom used to do???

show of hands?? anyone???

if this continues, we should debate the effectiveness of our turn signal needing a little light telling us if its up or down, then further we should add lights on the wiper washer stick as well indicating its position. then another on the gas pedal telling us how much we have it depressed...perhaps the light on the floor gets brighter the further we push it.....i could go on, but i digress...back to the show of hands....
Wow, I like 'em; those mods sound great!
Can those be done with Forscan?

About time you appreciated the real issues around here.
Thanks for the suggestions.

Robert Scott

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford, Ranger Supercrew Lariat
Occupation
Aerospace Engineer, retired
My 2020 Lariat built Dec 2019 has the gear shift back light. Posted earlier, was the voice control of the temperature controls; the voice does control the drivers side, but not the passenger side of the dual control system.
Sponsored