Should my console gear selector illuminate at night? 2020 Lariat

Stew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Hey guys, recently purchased a new 2020 Ranger Lariat 2wd and came across something i found strange. At night with the headlights on the P R N D S letters on the center console do not light up. The buttons for the auto start/stop do illuminate, and it seems everything else that is supposed to light up does I do have the ambient lighting in this vehicle.

i brought this to my selling dealers attention and was told my trucks gear selector is not supposed to illuminate at night, as my truck “did not have that package”. I find that very odd, as i have seen other trucks XL and XLT,s that did illuminate. The dealer was unable to tell me what package i would have had to have ordered to have a silly light for the gear selection.

Anyways, just curious if anyone else has ran into this, and also if anyone’s elses does or does not work. Thanks, i attached a picture of my gear shifter for reference. Anyone else have a ranger that does not light up PRNDS at night, or just me?

43A73669-D906-4D2E-ADB7-05252FA3311D.jpeg
Sponsored

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
Just checked, and mine does light up. Was this a stealth change made to the '20's?
I never noticed this before as I have always used the dash.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
2019 xl does not light up. I thought it was strange first time I saw it too. Why wouldn't they light up?

Ranger Roger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Honda Fit, 2004 Honda ST1300abs, 2018 Honda HR-V
No lights on my 2020 XLT with 302A package. Gear selection is on dashboard.

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
The console shifter position indicator definitely is illuminated on my 2020 Lariat with 501A Equipment Group, Tow Package, and Chrome Appearance Package.

forestale

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4
Occupation
Manufacturing
20 Lariat 501A, mine is illuminated, but it does not actually indicate what position the shifter is in. This bothered me at first, but I've gotten used to looking at the dash instead.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
"Did not have that package", now that's laughable. I've never seen an option package that says if you pay this much you'll even get the lights for your shifter. He/She didn't even have a clue, and just told you that to get you out of there. Myself, that would have pissed me off. I don't know if it's suppose to light up, or not. But, that answer has to be one for the books. Stop by your dealers body shop, and ask them. My bet is the shop supervisor will know.

SymChris

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 / 2017 Escape SE FWD
Hey guys, recently purchased a new 2020 Ranger Lariat 2wd and came across something i found strange. At night with the headlights on the P R N D S letters on the center console do not light up. The buttons for the auto start/stop do illuminate, and it seems everything else that is supposed to light up does I do have the ambient lighting in this vehicle.

i brought this to my selling dealers attention and was told my trucks gear selector is not supposed to illuminate at night, as my truck “did not have that package”. I find that very odd, as i have seen other trucks XL and XLT,s that did illuminate. The dealer was unable to tell me what package i would have had to have ordered to have a silly light for the gear selection.

Anyways, just curious if anyone else has ran into this, and also if anyone’s elses does or does not work. Thanks, i attached a picture of my gear shifter for reference. Anyone else have a ranger that does not light up PRNDS at night, or just me?

I have a ‘19 S-Crew Lariat FX4 with 501a and everything available (or so I thought?).

Mine does not illuminate the actual gear selected on the shifter, it is only back/under-lit for the shifter. Only see the gear selected in the dash.

I’m hesitant to believe that this would have been part of an extra “package” from factory though.

I’ve had it since March of ‘19 and didn’t even notice it until now that you brought it up.

Augie81

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
They illuminate on my 2019 XLT FX4 with 301A package.

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
2019 Lariat and lights up

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I’ve had it since March of ‘19 and didn’t even notice it until now that you brought it up.
Funny because I have no idea and have never noticed either. Guess I'll have to check next time I'm out at night but seeing as everyone else with a Lariate does I'll say yes. lol

Jamesb

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat, 501A, Build Date 12/19
Occupation
Engineering
Running change, shifter backlight was deleted on 7/11/20 builds & later.

Didn't have that package? What?? the special "light up the PRNDS" package? :LOL: Ridiculous...The stuff dealers say sometimes when they don't know the actual answer. :facepalm:

I have a 2020 loaded Lariat with a build date of 12/19 and mine lights up so @tivct's post could very well be true. Not the individual gear it is in mind you, just an overall backlight. That they would delete it to save some pennies?? is hilariously sad.

I came from driving a 2015 BMW 335i as I really wanted a non full sized truck so here I am. Love this truck but there are just some things I just shake my head at with Ford's decisions to save a few $. Lariat, no memory seats?? Advertise 7500lbs towing yet you can't legally tow that until you install an aftermarket TBC because they didn't include an integrated one?? Wireless Charging?? ...and for @AzScorpion ...no tailgate Damper, I mean come on, $50K CAD and no *&^ng damper? WTF. :LOL:

OP
OP

Stew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Running change, shifter backlight was deleted on 7/11/20 builds & later.
I’m not sure the actual day of production, but mine says 07/20 on the sticker in door jamb. Mine also has the Lariat package 500a.

Was there a document posted anywhere explaining this change?

C363E7D2-096D-40E3-9102-3876FD56FCA2.jpeg
Sponsored