First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Sorry I'm late to the party, just got the Ford break controller installed by another Ford dealer, it was a process. Was unable to order the kit from my local dealer due to "It doesn't fit your vehicle." So I went straight to Ford Motor company and paid for the kit and an hours labor. Choose a dealership nearby, (200 miles away) and waited for the call.

The call came and of course they were not able to get me in for the date I chose. I had to wait a month for install. Received an email from Ford Motor company and was confused that the time had been changed from 9 am to 4pm, was able to verify with the dealership that the time I scheduled with them was still correct. Then the "fun" began...

Dropped off the vehicle and everyone starts calling me a different name, my name was spelled correct on the order paperwork that the dealership received with the part, but the person who originally scheduled my appointment spelled it wrong in their computer. No one was able to fix this until I paid the bill (more on that later).

Sat down and prepared myself for a couple hours wait, two hours stretched to three and one of the supervisors came out to inform me that the tech needed more time for install but they would need to bill me for two hours shop time. I agreed.

Four hours later I was able to pay for service, retrieve my vehicle, fix my name in their system. Here is a breakdown of the bill:

General repair - 100 (the amount billed to me by Ford Motor Company)
General repair 2 - 325 (Amount for "two" hours labor, Supervisor told me their shop rate was 130. I came in at 0900, paid for service at 1314.)

In the end I paid 288.15 for the controller, 100 for labor, and 325 for the additional time they spent. Looking at the documentation for the Lumen kit they allocate 30 mins for install and give a complete breakdown of the installation process including what tools are needed. I guess they didn't inform the tech what they were doing that day and the tech had issues with the install. I'm trying hard to not knock the dealership but I believe I could have saved myself 400 dollars by doing it myself even if it took me four hours to do. I have a misguided notion that the technitions at the repair shop should be able to complete the work in the time frame allocated or shorter due to experience and tool availability.
Not sure what kind of reply you are looking for.... You got the controller installed at what is a resonable amount of time. It is not an easy install. I did it myself in half a day (not including a trip to Home Depot for a larger Torx bit for the rear seat belt. You could have done it yourself, as you said, but you choose not to. I wouldn't worry about it. It is installed. Move on and be happy it is compete.
Sponsored

Sarge104

First Name
Perry
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
19 FR, 13 VB, 95 GS MH, 00 HE
Occupation
County Cemetery District, SAR volunteer
I wouldn't worry about it. It is installed. Move on and be happy it is compete.
That is exactly what I will be doing, been frustrated with the stonewalling from my local dealership in regards to not allowing me to order the part and not warrantying my tonneau cover. Truck is going into the body paint shop to finally fix the front end wind damage that also destroyed the tonneau cover. Will be ready in time for racing this June!

Reactions: EJH

sn95joe84

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Physical Therapist
Just got my Redarc ford TBC installed $370 out the door! Pretty happy with the price given what a pain in the @$$ the install looks like.

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Installed an Hopkins Insight brake controller. This controller has followed me trough 3 vehicles and has never let me down.

Took me about an hour working in that small area :crazy: Connected it to the trailer and everything appears to be working.

test19.jpg

test18.jpg

RRRANGERXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 RACE RED RANGER XLT, 2021 TESLA MODEL Y
I just got quoted 421.00 labor and 365.00 for the controller From my local dealer. What a joke. I want to know how many people grabbed the center brake light from under the dash? And has it been reliable also what connector you used.
Any help would be great as I bought the control line today it should be here next week. Mike

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
I just got quoted 421.00 labor and 365.00 for the controller From my local dealer. What a joke. I want to know how many people grabbed the center brake light from under the dash? And has it been reliable also what connector you used.
Any help would be great as I bought the control line today it should be here next week. Mike
From what I understand it’s not available under the dash hence routing wires to light. I had dealer install mine so It would be under factory warranty ( even extended warranty). My dealer had 12 hours into the install but I had a firm quote of $725 out the door.

RRRANGERXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From what I understand it’s not available under the dash hence routing wires to light. I had dealer install mine so It would be under factory warranty ( even extended warranty). My dealer had 12 hours into the install but I had a firm quote of $725 out the door.
I thought that someone on here had found a grey/yellow wire under the dash? Maybe I’m wrong thank you for the reply. I’m not paying 421.00 when some members here have paid under 200.00. Crazy the price difference.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I have no idea how the dealer takes so long to install this. I did it in my driveway 2 weekends ago, and the hardest part was, 100%, routing through the door trim between the back door and the back window. With a wire fishing tool, it took me less than 3 hours to do on my own, once I undid a few of my own problems, it's a quick install, especially with the right tools. I'm just completely baffled that dealers are taking this kind of time for it.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I'm going to be installing the ford version this weekend on my XLT. Given I don't have the sliding back glass, I'll need to get the headliner dropped enough to reach the connections from the side. Plan on taking my time and will see how it goes.

RRRANGERXLT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Doesn’t it help to pull the 3rd brake light out? I think I read that somewhere? Good luck this weekend and let me know either here or pm? I was a machinist for about 8-10 years but I’m not very gentle with plastics. ?.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
I thought that someone on here had found a grey/yellow wire under the dash? Maybe I’m wrong thank you for the reply. I’m not paying 421.00 when some members here have paid under 200.00. Crazy the price difference.
Yes someone did find that and I think someone else even confirmed it worked for them. I don't have links but I remember asking for them and getting them (possibly in this very thread)

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
The safest place to do the add in harness in their mind was where there are only 3 wires in the connection, that only exists at the 3rd brake light. Yes, there are wires at the BCM you could tap to connect this but that is not a warrantable install as it's not by the book. What really gets me is that they had the foresight to have the high amperage 12V and the brake controller output to the 7 pin there, but no loose connection or even a plug with a single wire for the brake light signal to the controller. It's like whoever designed the truck's tow package part of the harness it just looked at the non-ACC model and planned on using an inline connector on the brake pedal or something.

As for the install price, the accessory site shows the install at $210, I think that was only $100 when I bought it. So, in theory if you order it on the accessory site to a dealer that you can select for install from parts bought there, you should be able to get that price.
1660359591736.png

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Use a Tow Pro Elite myself, I installed it, using wiring that someone else had kindly already installed ( bought my truck second hand)
I couldn't figure it out, they had put in the wires, and it looked like never used them, - there seemed to be no evidence there was ever as controller fitted.

They also used non standard wire colours so it took a bit of time to work out which wire went where, but I eventually did, and horror of horrors discovered whoever did it actually got the stop signal by breaking into the stop light switch on the pedal, a la old skool, instead of running a wire back to the light signal at the trailer plug, or the BCM connection under the passenger seat.

Anyway I put the control box behind the kick panel, the dial in a holder I 3d printed in the center console, said a small prayer, and it all seems to work Ok despite the way the signal was wired.

hersh

First Name
josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
I have no idea how the dealer takes so long to install this. I did it in my driveway 2 weekends ago, and the hardest part was, 100%, routing through the door trim between the back door and the back window. With a wire fishing tool, it took me less than 3 hours to do on my own, once I undid a few of my own problems, it's a quick install, especially with the right tools. I'm just completely baffled that dealers are taking this kind of time for it.
I agree, it doesn't take that long. Took me about the same time as you. Did you have issues with the connectors that where in the kit not wanting to click together at the third brake light?
Sponsored