Reason for lackluster AC

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
Well I took a look at the condenser or what I believe to be the condenser. How bad is it? Can’t believe Ford just left a gaping hole in the bumper for debris to come whack it. Pictures don’t do it justice as it looks better than it is on the pictures
IMG_5507.jpeg
IMG_5508.jpeg
Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
That's normal...dented fins won't affect your AC much...all cars suffer from debris dings...low freon is most likely the problem for poor AC...

OP
OP
GreyAreaRanger

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
Ah ok. I thought I had read somewhere that these Rangers are sensitive to bent fins. I plan on making an appointment to get it checked out anyways since I purchased an extended warranty but like to see if I can find the problem first if possible.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
If you are that concerned you can attempt to straighten them out. No promises that it will do what you want though

OP
OP
GreyAreaRanger

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
If they won't help much then I would just have the dealer check it out. When I head into work around 1830 in the evening and need it to stay on Max AC to stay comfortable, it just doesn't seem right to me but I'm far from an expert.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
If they won't help much then I would just have the dealer check it out. When I head into work around 1830 in the evening and need it to stay on Max AC to stay comfortable, it just doesn't seem right to me but I'm far from an expert.
Drive my truck today, felt the same. I was like wtf why am I on full blast all the way cool!!??

OP
OP
GreyAreaRanger

GreyAreaRanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Nursing Student
Drive my truck today, felt the same. I was like wtf why am I on full blast all the way cool!!??
Mine has been like that since I got it a few weeks ago but I did buy it used with 77k miles and it was a cloudy day so I didn't notice it until a couple days after. Overall I am loving the truck and will be going on a couple trips in the next four weeks, one of which will be camping trip.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
It sounds like it needs a freon top up if you need to run max all the time...a qualified AC shop can fix this...

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Hm... IMO, if a 4 year old truck needs a top off then you've got bigger issues. Once you reach 15-20 years then, yeah, yearly top off might be required, but 4 years?

ADDED: I remember as a kid everyone would write their name in the fins of AC units outside the schools. I cringe now every time I see an AC by a school with all the fins bent over.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
If you are that concerned you can attempt to straighten them out. No promises that it will do what you want though
Trying to straighten fins out on a radiator, oil cooler, A/C condenser often will result in more damage. The fins are thin like aluminum foil or cellophane. I bought a fin comb that was supposed to be able to straighten the vertical fins out on my bike's oil cooer, and I ended up causing more damage. The best way is to rinse the radiator from the engine side using a soaking setting rather than a stream, and never with a pressure washer.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
That's the intercooler, not the AC condenser.
THe AC condenser is sandwiched between the Radiator and the intercooler.
Not exactly, on the lower part which is shown the intercooler is not shown. That is because the intercooler is not that low. Only the radiator and condenser go that low

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
Mine has been like that since I got it a few weeks ago but I did buy it used with 77k miles and it was a cloudy day so I didn't notice it until a couple days after. Overall I am loving the truck and will be going on a couple trips in the next four weeks, one of which will be camping trip.
You guys have 2019 model, notable due the defective/troublesome blend door warpage in that year's model.

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
Yea
You guys have 2019 model, notable due the defective/troublesome blend door warpage in that year's model.
Yea I had the code in for scan. Saw a thread on replacement. Looks easy enough if I need to do it.
Sponsored