AC ODOR ISSUE

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
My truck is four months old with a little over 4000 miles. From the get-go I noticed a burning odor like wax/crayons or hot glue sporadically coming from the vents while running the AC. I figured it was something that would dissipate or burn off with use but it hasn't. The dealership thought it was coming from the heating element that keeps the AC at the set temperature but of course it wouldn't do it when there. I can set the AC to 70 on both sides, drive a few minutes and raise the temperature to 74 and get the odor to start faintly. If I drive for long periods and the AC has really cooled the car off and this heating element comes on to balance the temperature, the odor is much more noticeable. enough to give you a headache. I cranked up the heat like a sauna and try to let it "burn off" but it keeps coming back... Anyone with similar issues or solutions?
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
My truck is four months old with a little over 4000 miles. From the get-go I noticed a burning odor like wax/crayons or hot glue sporadically coming from the vents while running the AC. I figured it was something that would dissipate or burn off with use but it hasn't. The dealership thought it was coming from the heating element that keeps the AC at the set temperature but of course it wouldn't do it when there. I can set the AC to 70 on both sides, drive a few minutes and raise the temperature to 74 and get the odor to start faintly. If I drive for long periods and the AC has really cooled the car off and this heating element comes on to balance the temperature, the odor is much more noticeable. enough to give you a headache. I cranked up the heat like a sauna and try to let it "burn off" but it keeps coming back... Anyone with similar issues or solutions?
Hi Joel

Weird....I do not know if the blower speeds are controlled by a resistor block in the plenum but if they still use this..it may be this instead of the heating coils.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Hi Joel

Weird....I do not know if the blower speeds are controlled by a resistor block in the plenum but if they still use this..it may be this instead of the heating coils.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thanks Phil—it’s the dealership now. Service manger is taking it for a spin to if she can get it to duplicate. I’ll suggest this to her.

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks Phil—it’s the dealership now. Service manger is taking it for a spin to if she can get it to duplicate. I’ll suggest this to her.

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
It happens when the A/C tries to warm the air based on a temp setting other than LO. Example. Set the driver temp at 75 and the passenger's at LO. This will cause the A/C to try and warm the air for the driver side.

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
It happens when the A/C tries to warm the air based on a temp setting other than LO. Example. Set the driver temp at 75 and the passenger's at LO. This will cause the A/C to try and warm the air for the driver side.
So what’s the fix?

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
IMO.....dual zone temp in a cab that small is a worthless gimic.

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
IMO, since a heat element is being activated to warm the air, your stuck with the smell. I have this issue and have resigned form being concerned. It will go away, eventually.

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
The odor is strong and probably not healthy. The service manager at my dealership agrees after she got a good smell of it. If they can’t fix it then I’ll file under lemon law and get my money back or a new truck.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
Doesn't this thing use a blend door to set adjust the temp?

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Doesn't this thing use a blend door to set adjust the temp?
Sorry—-I don’t know. It supposedly uses a heating element to keep temperature as set.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
I did see a question on my survey ( https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/anyone-else-get-a-engineers-want-to-know-card.3940/ ) a few times concerning "smells or odors from the AC vents". Sounds like Ford may be aware of it. No issues from my truck.....yet.

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Lucky you.....hope for you that it stays that way.

89fxrp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2007 BMW 328i
I have same issue with my Lariat with build date 1/19 odor still occurs not quite as often at 3500 miles. Not sure nature of source assume something on heater core or evaporator during manufacture.

OP
OP

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
My dealership is waiting on guidance from Ford as to how (apparently) others have had this issue and what they advise to fix it before they remove dash to get at heating element. The smell has gotten worse over time and gives me headaches on longer trips. Who knows what chemicals are burning off.
Sponsored