AC ODOR ISSUE

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
All I got for you is that it goes away after a few months, and there is a tsb for a burning smell which was the blower motor overheating.
Sponsored

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
It would be nice to see some diagrams of what parts are in the HVAC system on here to see if there is an electric heating element in the system. I had the smell when new but at 19k now I don’t smell it anymore. I leave my temp set to 72 on auto all year.

Buckeye2782

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT and 1998 Ranger XLT
All I got for you is that it goes away after a few months, and there is a tsb for a burning smell which was the blower motor overheating.
I'm at 17,500 miles and still have the smell. This smell is not burning, it's more like body odor or some describe it smelling like crayons. I don't think that TSB pertains to the issue described in this thread.

Jbart13

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Agreed it’s body odor! Dropped my car off a second time and they told me they don’t know what to tell me or where it’s coming from. Explained the grease and the coil to them and they said they can’t help me to call ford! Car is brand new and bought from them 3 weeks ago! This seems absurd the smell is overwhelmingly BO / feet. Guess onto ford

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
So about a month ago I purchased a left over 2019 Ranger. My car has the same body odor smell coming from the vents when my air is on above 65-70. Brought the car to ford to have them tell me they don’t smell it. Finally I duplicated it for them. They told me they could not find anything wrong and “deodorized” the vents. When I went to turn my car on same smell came out. They can’t find anything wrong and will not admit a problem. Anyone have any success with a fix yet? My car is 3 weeks old! What can I do?

So this is some bullshit! Ford is aware of the issue and is aware of a white foreign body in the housing that holds the A/C. It requires full disassembly of the dashboard to get to this unit. Currently ford had been re-engineering the entire unit. I found out that the part to fix the truck is available on 7/27/20. (There are actually two required parts) I need to find the part numbers and I will repost them to this thread once I am home. But ford is aware of their being a problem with a smell! Back in May I started the buyback process because that time there was no part available! I got denied and as of last week was told to take the truck to another dealership for second opinion. After hearing that I needed a second opinion from ford, I called the dealership that could smell the smell. They had to take a microscopic light camera through the vents to find the “white substance”. Anyways, this is fixable and I would recommend taking it to another dealership. or continue to take it back. It’s a nasty smell!

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Agreed it’s body odor! Dropped my car off a second time and they told me they don’t know what to tell me or where it’s coming from. Explained the grease and the coil to them and they said they can’t help me to call ford! Car is brand new and bought from them 3 weeks ago! This seems absurd the smell is overwhelmingly BO / feet. Guess onto ford
You can call FORD but I got no where! The dealership I bought my truck from said the same thing (call ford). I took it another dealership and they actually were helpful. I say it’s fixable, but I’m currently waiting for the parts to arrive

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm at 17,500 miles and still have the smell. This smell is not burning, it's more like body odor or some describe it smelling like crayons. I don't think that TSB pertains to the issue described in this thread.
Same smell, mine has 32k on it and I haven’t smelled it since winter.

Andy

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat / 2019 Volvo XC60 T6 Inscription
Can the part be reached with an electrical parts cleaner?

Jbart13

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Do we know if every vehicle has this odor or if we are the unlucky few?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Do we know if every vehicle has this odor or if we are the unlucky few?
Hi James,

Unlucky few. There are way too many forum members not reporting this. Sad that this is even an issue but someday, maybe Michigan Truck and the supply base will get their collective act together on every Ranger produced.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I've only had the smell a couple times. To me it smells like a dirty dish rag so wondering if there is something that stays wet and gets a bit dank.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We only really noticed kit with the dual zone stuff in use. It’s a heating element offgassing some sort of coating.

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hi James,

Unlucky few. There are way too many forum members not reporting this. Sad that this is even an issue but someday, maybe Michigan Truck and the supply base will get their collective act together on every Ranger produced.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Sadly, I'm one of those affected by this odor. Also one of those affected by the squeaking brakes even after a brake bedding procedure. One of these days I'll have time to go to the dealer to have all of this fixed but I'm waiting for at least a few confirmed repairs/TSB's. Nice to hear there's some progress on this odor.

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
The brake squeaking and pulsing only gets worse... I’m on my 6 or 7th fix for it, working on the next one.

Ouch. That's awful. Going to catch up on the thread tonight and see where it's at. For me the squeak seems to be at the passenger side rear wheel.
Sponsored