AC ODOR ISSUE

Stangman570

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT Sport
Ouch. That's awful. Going to catch up on the thread tonight and see where it's at. For me the squeak seems to be at the passenger side rear wheel.
Just went to the dealership yesterday for this very issue of the passenger rear brake squealing. It was mud packed in the grove on the brake pads. This grove is used to help outgas brake dust to keep it away from the rotor and the pads. However, this only serves as a catch all for mud and difficult to rinse out. I'm changing to solid rear pads to help eliminate this problem. After they got the dried up mud out of the pads, no more noisy rear brakes.
Sponsored

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Just went to the dealership yesterday for this very issue of the passenger rear brake squealing. It was mud packed in the grove on the brake pads. This grove is used to help outgas brake dust to keep it away from the rotor and the pads. However, this only serves as a catch all for mud and difficult to rinse out. I'm changing to solid rear pads to help eliminate this problem. After they got the dried up mud out of the pads, no more noisy rear brakes.
Hmm, interesting. Thanks for letting me know! I think I'll go ahead and try to check this out myself before bringing it in. Will post back my findings.

Buckeye2782

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT and 1998 Ranger XLT
Iā€™ve been waiting for cooler weather to give a better chance at the dealer. It is easily replicated but I want to be with them to confirm.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
My dealership is waiting on guidance from Ford as to how (apparently) others have had this issue and what they advise to fix it before they remove dash to get at heating element. The smell has gotten worse over time and gives me headaches on longer trips. Who knows what chemicals are burning off.
This is a common occurrence in Hawaii (tropical climate). Have you checked the a/c drain tube? If the condensation is not draining out and is accumulating the musty smell is inevitable. Also, you could use an a/c deodorizing product which works well. Another thing that may help is to run the a/c system on outside air instead of recirculate once in a while. Hope this helps.

canigetadollar?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Fun Haver
I too have the BO smell with the AC on at 18k miles. I thought it was from the previous owner being a smoker but now I'm not so sure. I smelled the old cabin filter after removing it, and discovered it stank just like my AC vents. Replacing the cabin air filter did seem to fix it at first, but now it's definitely back.

I've tried ozone too, which helped a ton but not enough. This totally sucks.
filter 1.JPG

stringbreaker

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
On start up first thing after sitting all night my A/C smells like silicone caulking for a minute or less. Just started this since the weather here in the PNW got warm. My truck has a shade over 5000 miles on it. Not really all that bad but a bit annoying.

Aftermath865

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I just bought a new 2019 June 23rd. Had been combing this site for weeks prior to purchase so I could look for some of these issues during the test drive. I Thought I was lucky!
Iā€™ve had the truck 1 month and it now has 1,700 miles on it. I live in E TN and itā€™s been stupid hot here so Iā€™ve been running the AC on ā€œMaxā€. I have an STX so itā€™s just the basic climate control and no dual zone. On Max itā€™s absolutely perfect. Turned it off max for the first time the other day and Boom. There it was. Almost immediately. Like burning crayons. Canā€™t stand it, very strong. Does it on normal AC, and defrost as well. It Does it whether itā€™s on recirculation or not. Turn it back to max, and the smell is gone Within seconds. According to the TSB, this affects trucks from August to September 2019 mfg date. Mine was built in July 2019. But the TSB says not to use replacement parts with a build date of July-September 2019.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I just bought a new 2019 June 23rd. Had been combing this site for weeks prior to purchase so I could look for some of these issues during the test drive. I Thought I was lucky!
Iā€™ve had the truck 1 month and it now has 1,700 miles on it. I live in E TN and itā€™s been stupid hot here so Iā€™ve been running the AC on ā€œMaxā€. I have an STX so itā€™s just the basic climate control and no dual zone. On Max itā€™s absolutely perfect. Turned it off max for the first time the other day and Boom. There it was. Almost immediately. Like burning crayons. Canā€™t stand it, very strong. Does it on normal AC, and defrost as well. It Does it whether itā€™s on recirculation or not. Turn it back to max, and the smell is gone Within seconds. According to the TSB, this affects trucks from August to September 2019 mfg date. Mine was built in July 2019. But the TSB says not to use replacement parts with a build date of July-September 2019.
Hi Clint,

Take it to the dealer....This needs to be fixed.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Any chance you used a valet?

Aftermath865

First Name
Clint
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Took mine to the dealer, service writer smelled it right away. Of course, the technician didnā€™t smell it. I ended up speaking with the service manger and they are going to replace the blower motor. Even though my truck doesnā€™t fall under the recall. No one at my dealer had ever heard of this problem yet either. I saw above that someone mentioned Ford now knew of a fix available July 27th and that it was for 2 parts. Does anyone have an update on that info that I could give to the service writer to make sure the right parts are ordered?

Jbart13

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I have brought it to two dealers a total of 3 times. One dealer didnā€™t smell it at all ? all lies after I told them I called ford direct and they wanted a second opinion (my fault). The original one had no solutions, stated it doesnā€™t fall within recall, they smell it, but donā€™t understand where itā€™s coming from. They suggested I call ford direct for solutions. They had zero, now Iā€™m on a month long roadtrip with my camper. Hopefully when I get back there will be a readily available fix ??ā€ā™‚ Anyone else have updates?

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
I too have the BO smell with the AC on at 18k miles. I thought it was from the previous owner being a smoker but now I'm not so sure. I smelled the old cabin filter after removing it, and discovered it stank just like my AC vents. Replacing the cabin air filter did seem to fix it at first, but now it's definitely back.

I've tried ozone too, which helped a ton but not enough. This totally sucks.
filter 1.JPG

My wife's car had a real bad problem with pulling in exhaust odors form other cars while driving. So much so that she hated driving it. The fumes would regularly give me a headache as well. I found that the Spearhead Premium Cabin Filters did an amazing job at odor control.

Since mine would sometimes have this mildew scent when first starting I decided to look to see if one fit the Ranger. I did some cross reference checking and found
this one that fits the Ranger perfectly. It doesn't say it does but it does cross over to the PUROLATOR C35519 filter and that one is a perfect fit. Since installing it I have had no issues with the mildew smell or any other odors. It even managed to filter out my 14 year old dog's fart on a recent road trip And let me tell you that poor old girl can peel paint from across the room... Needless to say, I'm sold on these filters since that day.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ā€˜23 Macan,ā€™21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Mine was just starting to get a little musty odor then I switched to the Purolator Boss. So far so good.
Sponsored