Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
Does anyone use a floor jack to raise the rear of the truck to gain spave for the new shock install? Thinking lift under the hitch to raise the rear.
No, didnt need too. Took me 30 min.
Sponsored

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Where do you live? If you're in the Denver Metro, I would be happy to help. My rears took about 45 minutes and I was being a wussy little whiny baby during it. Ok, not really, but I was trying to avoid muscling it in.
I am in Virginia, but thanks for the offer.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
The oem shock has the piston up so that's how I installed. I pulled the Eibach stickers off and turned them right side up.
So does that mean the boot was up? I would equate the boot to the wide part of the OEM shock which is technically also a cover of the exposed rod.

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase
So does that mean the boot was up? I would equate the boot to the wide part of the OEM shock which is technically also a cover of the exposed rod.

Boot up. Boot is the plastic/rubber cover over the bar.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

FordFreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat FX4 Ranger, 2022 Sonata Limited
Occupation
Engineer
If I am not mistaken... if FX4 trucks have better shocks than regular 4x4 and 4x2, wouldn't aftermarket shocks show vast improvement over regular shocks since FX4 are better than regular 4x4, 4x2? Just wanted to be correct on the information if I am wrong... But, I had a regular 4x4 and JUST rear shocks improved my ride immensely. Less rear body roll, less body wiggle. Also, I feel it lessened the amount of back and forth swinging I had when I hydroplaned, only loss control back and forth for two swings then I was able to re-correct it. I want to go full suspension but keep the stock stance in the further, further future.

EDIT: Way way firmer ride, which I appreciate. Didn't appreciate the boaty feeling as much. Some like that comfort boaty feeling, personally I like to feel the road.
I have a FX4 and my kid has a "regular" Lariat. My ride is so bad over the railroad tracks by my house that I would be happy with his shocks. If I put a camera back there, I'm sure I'm catching air at 40mph in the rear.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I have a FX4 and my kid has a "regular" Lariat. My ride is so bad over the railroad tracks by my house that I would be happy with his shocks. If I put a camera back there, I'm sure I'm catching air at 40mph in the rear.
Wow. Thank you for sharing your experience. That’s crazy… I wonder what the fx4 shocks are good at then.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Wow. Thank you for sharing your experience. That’s crazy… I wonder what the fx4 shocks are good at then.
They'd make good gas pistons for opening a door or something.

The ones I pulled of this weekend have 12k miles on them. I could compress them like an accordian. I am not especially strong.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student

The ones I pulled of this weekend have 12k miles on them. I could compress them like an accordian. I am not especially strong.
Well damn. Aren’t you thinking outside the box. ? sounds about right though for that door application…

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape
Does anyone use a floor jack to raise the rear of the truck to gain spave for the new shock install? Thinking lift under the hitch to raise the rear.
I've done that in the past. Just don't go too high and block the front wheels

For this one I put it on ramps so I could roll around on my creeper

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape

Same. 27.5k miles and was surprised how easy to compress and had several dead spots. They had a hard life so far though

Replaced with King 2.5 adjustable and it is night and day difference. I don't get a neckache anymore from it bobbing all around

Hounddog409

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Vehicle Showcase

My stock STX shocks were the same. Very easy to compress. But was not a bad ride. I upgraded for hauling/towing and some off-road.

Why are folks shocked that the off road version is not so good on the road as the regular road versions?

If you never venture off-road, do not buy the off road version. And if you do, expect less performance on pavement.
Sponsored