First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
The ride in to work proved that this was money (and time) well spent. Truck handled so much better! This forum is awesome! Now thinking about the fronts.
Glad you got it done. I probably spent about an hour, most of that time getting the ratchet strap in place correctly. I was able to compress enough with the strap that the shocks fell right in place, but whatever works.

I can still feel the front is a bit soft, but I'm not doing them right away. The rears changed it like night and day.
Sponsored

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I can still feel the front is a bit soft, but I'm not doing them right away. The rears changed it like night and day.
Agreed!

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I swapped the rears only with Eibach pro truck 2.0 and it helped a lot. I bought them because at the time the bilstein 5100s were out of stock, and I don't know one is better than the other but from reading they are both about the same. Easy install in my driveway. Recommended.

I can tell the front is still a bit soft, but swapping the rears makes a huge difference and I can live with the fronts as is.
The ride improved for me (and my wife/passenger) when I swapped the rears, when I got the fronts on with a slight lift (1.5 inches) I guess pre-loading the springs added some stiffness my wife says makes the ride a little less comfortable now. Eibachs.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
The ride improved for me (and my wife/passenger) when I swapped the rears, when I got the fronts on with a slight lift (1.5 inches) I guess pre-loading the springs added some stiffness my wife says makes the ride a little less comfortable now. Eibachs.
Interesting. Good to know. When I go over a speed bump, as example, the front will bob 1-2 times, but the rear makes it much less floaty. I'll stick with this until I need to replace the fronts, if I ever do.

JimboAnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 - Sold
Got my rear eibachs in last night, about an hour. not too bad. I had to craft up a lever system with a spud bar and wood blocking under the truck to get compression to get the bottoms into their seat. All in all not a bad job. Truck rode and handled great, much better, on the way in to work this am. I had about 4" of compression i needed to take up to get it into the seat. I could nearly get it compressed with shear brute force, but could not get the last 1/2". The lever worked great.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Stop thinking and do it! haha, if you like the rears, you will love the fronts.
Agreed, I just put Bilstein 5100’s on the front set at 1.2”. The change is more subtle than the rears, but just as significant IMO. Very happy with the upgrade.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I had about 4" of compression i needed to take up to get it into the seat.
Wow, seems like I had a lot more than 4" to compress.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Okay, been watching and reading.

Do the Eibachs not come packaged with a metal strap partially compressing the shock?

My Fox's did. And come to think of it, every shock I've ever bought did.

allcos

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Scab 4X4 XLT
Occupation
Retired
1) Some say yes, some say no. I have the Bilsteins and according to the manufacturer the bottle goes down and the piston goes up.

2) Not really. Depends on where you do most of your driving.

3) IIRC it is 55 ft-lb for the rears
Don't understand bottle and piston. I read on the Bilstein site that the label should be reading right side up.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Don't understand bottle and piston. I read on the Bilstein site that the label should be reading right side up.
Good question. The stock shock had what I would consider the bottle on the bottom. The piston toward the top, and the dust cover of which was a fatter metal shell, wider than the bottle part. But the Eibach has a rubber boot instead of a metal shell.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Good question. The stock shock had what I would consider the bottle on the bottom. The piston toward the top, and the dust cover of which was a fatter metal shell, wider than the bottle part. But the Eibach has a rubber boot instead of a metal shell.
On monotube shocks, of which all the aftermarket ones except the OME are, orientation doesn't matter for performance.

mustang marty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger stx sabertooth , 04 stang ragtop 40th anvrs. , 66 stang fastback 2 plus 2
Occupation
A happy retired guy
After reading forum and other reviews I ordered Billsteins for rear . As long as the boat ride on high speed turns is gone I will be happy .
Sponsored