Question about rear shock replacement

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I have read many posts of people getting an improved ride and handling with aftermarket shocks. Is the improvement as noticeable on non-FX4 trucks? Is it worth it?
Sponsored

Wayne

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX Special Edition
Occupation
Facilities Director
I have read many posts of people getting an improved ride and handling with aftermarket shocks. Is the improvement as noticeable on non-FX4 trucks? Is it worth it?
I just replaced the rears on my STX and couldn't be happier. Feels more planted, less boucing and body movement. I installed Eibach Pro truck shocks, well worth the investment. Have front Eobach Stage 2s waiting to go on.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Good question, as I've posted the same question before. Short answer is yes.
An example I use is: you know that dip at the end of a bridge on the interstate?
Factory non fx4 shocks were 2-3 rebounds. Bilstein's 1 very well planted rebound @70 unloaded.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

Yes. Night/day difference in handling and ride quality.

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
If I am not mistaken... if FX4 trucks have better shocks than regular 4x4 and 4x2, wouldn't aftermarket shocks show vast improvement over regular shocks since FX4 are better than regular 4x4, 4x2? Just wanted to be correct on the information if I am wrong... But, I had a regular 4x4 and JUST rear shocks improved my ride immensely. Less rear body roll, less body wiggle. Also, I feel it lessened the amount of back and forth swinging I had when I hydroplaned, only loss control back and forth for two swings then I was able to re-correct it. I want to go full suspension but keep the stock stance in the further, further future.

EDIT: Way way firmer ride, which I appreciate. Didn't appreciate the boaty feeling as much. Some like that comfort boaty feeling, personally I like to feel the road.

Bob902

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED!!!!
Yes, night and day difference. I replaced my rear shocks with Fox in the garage. Easy 20 minute job to include clean up. I have the FX4 package and honestly, these shocks should have came on the truck from the factory. I am quite sure that Eibach's and Bilstein's will give you just as good of an upgrade.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
If I am not mistaken... if FX4 trucks have better shocks than regular 4x4 and 4x2, wouldn't aftermarket shocks show vast improvement over regular shocks since FX4 are better than regular 4x4, 4x2? Just wanted to be correct on the information if I am wrong... But, I had a regular 4x4 and JUST rear shocks improved my ride immensely. Less rear body roll, less body wiggle. Also, I feel it lessened the amount of back and forth swinging I had when I hydroplaned, only loss control back and forth for two swings then I was able to re-correct it. I want to go full suspension but keep the stock stance in the further, further future.
It doesn't matter if it's a FX4 or non FX4. Replacing the shock and struts will make a huge improvement in the ride quality and handling. Ford screwed up the valving ratios for the dampers on the Ranger. They made the rebound damping way too soft. As a result after compressing the suspension rises too rapidly and over extends then compresses again returning to normal ride height and then rebounds again etc. This is what creates the rolling boat/bounce while driving. Aftermarket shocks/struts have muck better rebound valving thus slows the rebound stroke considerably and all but eliminates the boat/bounce experienced with the stock dampers. This is for both the FX and non FX equipped trucks.

Last edited:

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
It doesn't matter if it's a FX4 or non FX4. Replacing the shock and struts will make a huge improvement in the ride quality and handling. Ford screwed up the valving ratios for the dampers on the Ranger. They made the rebound damping way too soft. As a result after compressing the suspension rises too rapidly and over extends then compresses again returning to normal ride height and then compresses again. This is what creates the rolling boat/bounce while driving. Aftermarket shocks/struts have muck better rebound valving thus slows the rebound stroke considerably and all but eliminates the boat/bounce experienced with the stock dampers. This is for both the FX and non FX equipped trucks.
Thank you for clearing this up in a very very knowledgeable and insightful way Bret.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Thanks for all the great responses. You have helped me to make a decision to at least do the rear for now. I would like to add that the few times I have been off road, the stock shocks seem to work beautifully, but I would rather have the road ride quality since that is 99.9% of my driving.

Pinepig

First Name
Charlie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Last count was 12
Occupation
lol
Received my Eibach's today, will install this weekend after the 100Âş+ heat is over.
I feel ya, I wanted to put in my new multi leaf rear sprigs today but the house AC decided to take a crap so that took precedence, 101 today, 107 tomorrow. Got the AC fixed ( start capacitor on the condenser ) so I'll try and get the springs hammered out tomorrow before the heat and then take a dip in the pool before returning to a well ACed house.

Alpinist

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport
I've upgraded my rears to Bilstein 4600's, and I agree with the overall sentiment of this thread. However, I am planning to upgrade the front suspension as well- can't stand the wallowy front suspension, the truck just feels way out of balance with the super soft front end and firmer rear.
Sponsored