Question about rear shock replacement

briwill70

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
I replaced my factory tires with Falken Wildpeaks 265/65/18 (running at 35psi) and was surprised what a difference that made in ride quality and handling over the stock Hankooks. Got rid of a lot of the wandering feeling. Last week I replaced the rear shocks with Eibachs and that got rid of most of the bouncy feeling. Rides more like what I expected from the factory now.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My stock STX shocks were the same. Very easy to compress. But was not a bad ride. I upgraded for hauling/towing and some off-road.

Why are folks shocked that the off road version is not so good on the road as the regular road versions?

If you never venture off-road, do not buy the off road version. And if you do, expect less performance on pavement.
It is possible to do both relatively well.

I have no doubt my Fox/Global lift will perform better than the FX suspension off road. And it is world's better on road.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
As others said about 30min total for the rears. About an 2 1/2 hours total to do the fronts.
I am curious as to the part number of the fronts you installed. I ask because I got a free set of fronts from Eibach when they screwed up my rears order. Did you just change the cartridge and not the coils? Did you set them to OEM height? Thanks for your information.

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Some do, I just did it on the ground. Didn’t see a need to take the time to raise it.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Looks like I might be racing the rain when I get home, can someone tell me what tools I will need for the rears? I want to hit it and git.
Thanks!

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
My stock STX shocks were the same. Very easy to compress. But was not a bad ride. I upgraded for hauling/towing and some off-road.

Why are folks shocked that the off road version is not so good on the road as the regular road versions?

If you never venture off-road, do not buy the off road version. And if you do, expect less performance on pavement.
I get that. I didn't really need the FX4, but it was what was available. $190 for a pair of rear shocks fixed the problem.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Looks like I might be racing the rain when I get home, can someone tell me what tools I will need for the rears? I want to hit it and git.
Thanks!
I think all you need is a 15mm socket or wrench. Maybe 17mm. And a ratchet strap if that's how you're going to compress the shock.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I am curious as to the part number of the fronts you installed. I ask because I got a free set of fronts from Eibach when they screwed up my rears order. Did you just change the cartridge and not the coils? Did you set them to OEM height? Thanks for your information.
The part number (I believe for the fronts is) E60-35-048-01-10. I used the stock springs but raised the front 2" to give it a more leveled look.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
The part number (I believe for the fronts is) E60-35-048-01-10. I used the stock springs but raised the front 2" to give it a more leveled look.
Great info, that helps a lot. Not sure I want the leveled look, but might raise it a little.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Well got the rears on finally. I must admit I feel a little defeated, took me over an hour. I wish I had done the passenger side first, I realized it is easier to work from the opposite side of the axle. I spent most of the time on the drivers side trying to figure out how to best get the shock compressed. Tried a jack and ratchet strap, but once it was up in the bracket, found it hard to get that last 1/4" to get the bolt in. On the passenger side I didn't need anything to compress it, as I had much better leverage.
Checked before and after bumper height, gained a whopping 1/8". Can't wait to drive it to work tomorrow.

Colo_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Well got the rears on finally. I must admit I feel a little defeated, took me over an hour. I wish I had done the passenger side first, I realized it is easier to work from the opposite side of the axle. I spent most of the time on the drivers side trying to figure out how to best get the shock compressed. Tried a jack and ratchet strap, but once it was up in the bracket, found it hard to get that last 1/4" to get the bolt in. On the passenger side I didn't need anything to compress it, as I had much better leverage.
Checked before and after bumper height, gained a whopping 1/8". Can't wait to drive it to work tomorrow.
Don't feel defeated. It's not easy, especially if you haven't done it before. An hour(ish) is not a bad time to get it completed. You got it done, and that's what matters. Welcome to a better riding Ranger.

I know its already done for you, but the easiest way to get the bottom hole lined up is to get it into the pocket and take a large screwdriver to leverage it into place. The feed the bolt from the other side.

Last edited:

Bsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat FX4
Just did mine, took about 45 min. Mostly trying to figure out how to jack the body up so I can get the bottom bolts in. Took a quick drive around the block. First impression is the floaty feel is gone. Accelerating around corners are not a bouncy operation, I can keep my foot in the gas. Hope longer drives prove to be positive.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
the easiest way to get the bottom hole lined up is to get it into the pocket and take a large screwdriver to leverage it into place. The feed the bolt from the other side.
That's exactly what I ended up doing, I used a long pry bar. After I did the driver's side, the passenger side was much easier.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Well got the rears on finally.
Can't wait to drive it to work tomorrow.
The ride in to work proved that this was money (and time) well spent. Truck handled so much better! This forum is awesome! Now thinking about the fronts.
Sponsored