Bilstein rear shock install question

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I am going to upgrade my rear shocks first and do the fronts later this winter. My question is how are you guys orienting these? I have seen some of you put the rod/boot down and some up. I am not sure how much difference either orientation makes, but I always put that end up unless the manufacturer says otherwise. Stupid question, but since I have seen differing installations, I thought I would ask.
Sponsored

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I put boot down, better protection for mono tube and less unsprung weight. Bret

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I put boot down, better protection for mono tube and less unsprung weight. Bret
I found this on the Bilstein site:

"You always want to install our application specific B6 4600 and B8 5100 shocks so the Bilstein labeled on the shock body is reading in the correct orientation. If your shocks have been installed with the stickers on upside down then the shocks should be flipped the other way."

How are yours oriented with the boot down?

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I have Eibach , sorry I missed that on your original post. (old eyes)I would do what bilstein says. Bret

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
On a monotube shock, orientation doesn't technically matter in regards to operation.

When you get into twin-tube or basic hydros, the story's different, since those are typically on valved one way.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
On a monotube shock, orientation doesn't technically matter in regards to operation.

When you get into twin-tube or basic hydros, the story's different, since those are typically on valved one way.
BTW, I want you to know that your shipping was excellent. I ordered these just a couple of days ago and they have already been delivered.

Now to get home from work and check them out. ;-)

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
BTW, I want you to know that your shipping was excellent. I ordered these just a couple of days ago and they have already been delivered.

Now to get home from work and check them out. ;-)
Thanks for your business! Let me know if you're looking for anything else, and I'll be glad to see what we can do on pricing.

Shipping tends to go smooth as long as we can get stock at one of our warehouses. However, that has been a struggle in the 'Rona Era.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Thanks for your business! Let me know if you're looking for anything else, and I'll be glad to see what we can do on pricing.

Shipping tends to go smooth as long as we can get stock at one of our warehouses. However, that has been a struggle in the 'Rona Era.
Yea, I am around 2 hours from Lexington, KY and that is where the shipment came from. I will be looking to get the front struts sometime in November or December.

Thanks a lot.

OP
OP
TORQUERULES

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
It appears that the shocks go with the boot up. This is per Bilstein's website where they state that the stickers have to be oriented properly and that's how you install the shock. On the F-150 it is the direct opposite and the boot goes down from what I am seeing on installation videos because the stickers are oriented properly with the boot down. So Ranger boot up and F-150 boot down.

Sign1941

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT/FX4
Getting ready to install these and the label still indicates boot up

PXL_20210208_144527234.jpg
Just installed mine 4 days ago, boot up. I had the dealership install my front 6112 leveling kit (used up my Ford Pass points) and was able to do the rears myself in less than 20 min. I used my floor jack to compress the shock after I installed the top, to get it in the lower seat. Worked like a charm and love the upgrade!

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I used my floor jack to compress the shock after I installed the top, to get it in the lower seat. Worked like a charm and love the upgrade!
I did the same on my rear Fox install with a bottle jack. I'm glad I had read that somewhere on this forum. It really helped out.

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK
I did the same on my rear Fox install with a bottle jack. I'm glad I had read that somewhere on this forum. It really helped out.
I am 47 and was able to push the shocks into the cradle then use a flat head screwdriver to align the bolt. They were stiff but not unmanageable.. I would not want to do that all day long lol..

PXL_20210212_190114430.jpg

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
anyone do the front and rear 5100s and go up a tire size? like a 33 or 32?

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
and today i finally got the rear shocks put on. it was much easier than i thought it would be. except for having to go fishing for the top curbside nut... it was holding it self in place perfectly from all the mud so i didnt bother with tape. soon as i lined up the new shock and put in the bolt the nut went right into no hands fit land...
Sponsored