First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Design Engineer
The OEM FX4 shocks have clear indications on orientation with the stickers that have an arrow that points towards the frame side. The Fox 2.0 shocks do not.

My friend says it shouldn't matter which way the shocks are installed in truck; the shaft can point up or down on either side. The Fox instructions also show the shocks with the body on the frame side (only one picture shown, but it looks like it's the left shock).

Instruction videos, however, seem to just follow the convention of the OEM shocks.

Has anyone heard different? How are you running yours?
Sponsored

Last edited:

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
I called and spoke with Fox before installing my Fox 2.0 front and rears, and they recommend to install the rears with the shaft down, body up, like the instructions show. I would also recommend their roost shields or whatever they're called, so they will protect the shaft from rocks/debris.

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
This usually turns into the chicken or the egg thread... I mirrored the install that Stage3 did in their video...

Pvsaint

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger - 2014 Tiffin Phaeton Motorhome
Occupation
Retired Fire Captain
Apparently it doesn't matter as far a performance goes. I installed body up and shaft down so the body has protection from getting dinged with rocks or debris and water and mud won't stay on the seal that way.

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
With a monotube shock like the Fox 2.0s, orientation doesn't really matter.

We generally recommend (and generally do) a barrel-up, shaft-down orientation on our trucks. Our theory is that it's a lot harder to nick a hardened steel shaft to the point of causing a seal failure (not that it can't happen, and it absolutely can) than it is to puncture an aluminum or steel shock body by anything you kick up on the road/trail.

Not to mention, shaft damage can be mitigated by adding either roost shields or a universal boot.

On basic hydro shocks like the OEM shocks, orientation absolutely matters, since their valving is generally only restricted in one direction.

OP
OP
RamblinnMann

RamblinnMann

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT FX4
Occupation
Design Engineer
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up installing mine shaft down, body up as well. Really stoked to get out on the trail!
Sponsored