Curious about changing only the rear shocks....

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
fyi I had a hard time trying to compress them by hand. The Ford shocks weren't a problem. I need shoulder surgery but I'm trying to wait until motorcycle season is over to get it. I used a small aluminum floor jack to raise them up after starting the top bolt. I left the tires on since I didn't want to deal with moving them with the bad arm. Jack stands under the frame to extend the rear suspension. The exhaust is a pain to work around. This would be a 10 minute job with a lift.
Sponsored

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
My rear shocks arrived yesterday, but life has been too hectic to get them installed yet. Possibly tonight, more likely this weekend. Can't wait to feel the ride difference.
Where did you get them from?

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
I just ordered the rear eibach's from realtruck, i am hoping they make a difference.

OP
OP
quangdog

quangdog

First Name
Kimball
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4

bb1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hot Pepper Red XLT
I put just the rear Eibach's shocks on, made a huge difference for me. When there is no weight in the bed, it rides 100x nicer. I wish I had done the upgrade months ago.
Got any tips for the install? I've only done full struts before when I had the Acura RSX. That wasn't too bad doing it in the street, although I had to lift the car and put it on jackstands. I've never worked with leaf springs before. Can I just unbolt the bottom bolt of the damper and then the top without having to use a jack, then just use the jack to compress the damper for the install.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Got any tips for the install? I've only done full struts before when I had the Acura RSX. That wasn't too bad doing it in the street, although I had to lift the car and put it on jackstands. I've never worked with leaf springs before. Can I just unbolt the bottom bolt of the damper and then the top without having to use a jack, then just use the jack to compress the damper for the install.
Yes you can unbolt just the bottoms, then let them hang, and then unbolt the upper mounts and there is no need to support the truck or lift it or anything. The leaf springs will support the truck safely.
I've had to install my rear shocks, Uninstall them to verify one was blown, reinstall factory shocks while I shipped the broken one back for warranty, and then reinstall the new shocks again, so I've had enough time doing the job.
20200825_155755.jpg

bb1001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hot Pepper Red XLT
Yes you can unbolt just the bottoms, then let them hang, and then unbolt the upper mounts and there is no need to support the truck or lift it or anything. The leaf springs will support the truck safely.
I've had to install my rear shocks, Uninstall them to verify one was blown, reinstall factory shocks while I shipped the broken one back for warranty, and then reinstall the new shocks again, so I've had enough time doing the job.
20200825_155755.jpg
Awesome. Having a truck really makes you appreciate not having to work on a lowered sports car anymore.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Installed Fox 2.0‘s on the rear today. I would describe it as firm but compliant. Way more composed. Stays put on stops now. Feels like the back of the truck is connected to the front now. It feels way safer to me.

Had two guys in new F150 on my bumper on the turn to the entrance ramp during my test drive. Between the shocks on the turn and the tune on the ramp - bye bye F150.
Sponsored