First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT, 2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My latest report. This was before a 3,300 mile trip.

contact info deleted June 2021 Report.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Here are my latest results. I can't complain.

oil analysis Ranger 4th.png

JDG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor, 2016 Fiesta ST
First Oil Change. Thanks for starting this thread!

JDG 21 Ranger 20211107 REDACTED.png

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
First oil change here as well. 2021 Ranger

Screenshot_20220228-195330~2.png

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Boy, the few reports I've seen with multiple tests it sure seems seasonal. Need to seeore with 3 or 4 tests to see if there is a trend.

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Supercab XLT FX4
Doing small engine repair for 15 years I’ve seen my fair share of carburetors flooding over and causing gas/oil mixing and hydrolocked/flooded crankcases, however I’ve owned my 2019 for around a year now and zero report of any odor or gas or level change in 10000 miles of ownership. Scary to think what I see some people reporting on this forum about fuel in the oil on a such consistent basis. Don’t know whether I got lucky or this is a true problem with the 2.3

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Boy, the few reports I've seen with multiple tests it sure seems seasonal. Need to seeore with 3 or 4 tests to see if there is a trend.
Here are 2 of mine, both taken and sent out by the dealer. One is from April with 500 miles on the oil (12%), the other is from July with 2100 miles on the oil (13%). For both of those the level was just to the twist. I now have almost 37K on the truck and the oil level rises to about 3/8in above the twist by 2k -3k miles and stays there until I do the next oil change. Ford claims it is perfectly fine and refuses to do any more work on it. They took several other samples when the level was higher, but Ford refused to share the results with me.

500 mi oil sample.jpg
Oil Sample2.jpg

Reactions: JDG

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Here are 2 of mine, both taken and sent out by the dealer. One is from April with 500 miles on the oil (12%), the other is from July with 2100 miles on the oil (13%). For both of those the level was just to the twist. I now have almost 37K on the truck and the oil level rises to about 3/8in above the twist by 2k -3k miles and stays there until I do the next oil change. Ford claims it is perfectly fine and refuses to do any more work on it. They took several other samples when the level was higher, but Ford refused to share the results with me.
As I said, the FEW reports I have seen, with multiple samples, seem to show a seasonal trend. One time reports can show no meaningfull data. Yes, it shows high fuel delution in the oil, but that is ALL it shows. It takes a number of data points (more than two) to lead to a trend or possible cause.

I am not saying that there are not trucks with a real problem, and yours may well be one of them. But there is by no means enough data to say there is a cronic problem or a design issue with the engine. Oil delusion is a known issue with ALL direct injection engines. What exactly is causing it and how much is to much, is still up for debate. I do not beleive this is a design flaw or widespread problem with the 2.3 in our trucks. Why some individual members of a specific engine type have it to a worse degree is an even bigger mystery. How to fix it is the $100,000 question.

I do feel for those that have the acute issue and their dealer is not helping you. I'm sure in most cases it is the dealship not Ford causing most of the problems. True Ford does need to start taking the issue seriously and try to solve the issue or at least figure out what what is causing it. They at least need to take better care of the people that have the issue. I'm sure knew the reason and how to fix it they would.

This thread is the first attempt I have seen to compile some meaningfull DATA on the subject. This is a step in the right direction. Up until now it has been alot of complaining and pissing and moaning that is also scaring a lot of people into thinking about and looking for an issue they may not have. As far as I know no one as lost an engine to oil delution.

Full disclosure: I am one of those lucky ones whos truck does not make oil. I have 2-1/2 years of trouble free ownership. My truck starts and runs great, it shifts smooth and pulls my camper without issue. I love my Ranger.

I'll crawl back undery soup box now and go back to watching from afar.

chrisakz

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Magnetic Supercab XLT FX4
As I said, the FEW reports I have seen, with multiple samples, seem to show a seasonal trend. One time reports can show no meaningfull data. Yes, it shows high fuel delution in the oil, but that is ALL it shows. It takes a number of data points (more than two) to lead to a trend or possible cause.

I am not saying that there are not trucks with a real problem, and yours may well be one of them. But there is by no means enough data to say there is a cronic problem or a design issue with the engine. Oil delusion is a known issue with ALL direct injection engines. What exactly is causing it and how much is to much, is still up for debate. I do not beleive this is a design flaw or widespread problem with the 2.3 in our trucks. Why some individual members of a specific engine type have it to a worse degree is an even bigger mystery. How to fix it is the $100,000 question.

I do feel for those that have the acute issue and their dealer is not helping you. I'm sure in most cases it is the dealship not Ford causing most of the problems. True Ford does need to start taking the issue seriously and try to solve the issue or at least figure out what what is causing it. They at least need to take better care of the people that have the issue. I'm sure knew the reason and how to fix it they would.

This thread is the first attempt I have seen to compile some meaningfull DATA on the subject. This is a step in the right direction. Up until now it has been alot of complaining and pissing and moaning that is also scaring a lot of people into thinking about and looking for an issue they may not have. As far as I know no one as lost an engine to oil delution.

Full disclosure: I am one of those lucky ones whos truck does not make oil. I have 2-1/2 years of trouble free ownership. My truck starts and runs great, it shifts smooth and pulls my camper without issue. I love my Ranger.

I'll crawl back undery soup box now and go back to watching from afar.
Well put. Got mine used has 39000 on it and put 10 on it myself and it’s been a pleasure.

JDG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First Oil Change. Thanks for starting this thread!
Second Oil Change (Amsoil Signature 5W-30): Shows viscosity diluted down to a 0W-20 but not showing any increased wear at all after 6K miles.

JDG 21 RANGER-220208 REDACTED.png

OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
It is indeed seasonal. At least for those of us in northern States. I've got a ton of tests and I can say that I get .5% to 1% higher fuel dilution in the Winter. At this point I don't test my truck's oil anymore and I'm OK with what I see. I figured out my overall seasonal average and updated my poll entry in this thread.

It's good to see this thread still going on, and it's about the most data we can hope to have on the subject. I generally don't think anyone with 3% or less needs to worry.

If I were in the 3-5% range, I still would probably not worry too much but I would probably increase my oil change frequency. 5% and above... Only worry if you plan on owning your truck for 200,000 miles like I do. (All in my humble opinion)

Good luck all.

Last edited:

WNCblueridge

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger supercab
Occupation
Goat herder
First blackstone report came back today. Fuel dilution @ <0.5 after 1st oil change. Pretty happy with that but will continue doing periodic oil samples in the future and post findings

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

JDG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Second Oil Change (Amsoil Signature 5W-30): Shows viscosity diluted down to a 0W-20 but not showing any increased wear at all after 6K miles.

JDG 21 RANGER-220208 REDACTED.png
Big improvement for this OCI. Likely due to warmer weather. Down 3% on fuel.
21 RANGER-220528 REDACTED.png

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
For those thinking that this is a Ranger issue, it isn't.

Gasoline direct injection plus a turbo charger greatly increases the chance for fuel in the oil (Oil dilution).

Run a high quality synthetic oil and change your oil at 5k. Check your oil dipstick every so often like you should for every car. Just remember to check it under the same conditions, aka warm engine immediately after shut off, or cold engine. The level will change.

JDG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
i dont mean this like a dick or want to sound like it but, how much does it cost for the labs to test and report findings? Im not saying this is not or cannot be an issue. however, oil in fuel is pretty common for some engines. so far it sounds like the only sure result is that the labs testing this is making more money. my uneducated guess here : one of two things. 1. operating conditions like weather, driving habits, oil used, fuel used and so on. 2. folks over reacting to something that is for the most part normal. (again not saying it is not an issue) We have some members in the forum that are near or over 100k on the 2.3 ranger and no engine problems. dealers and ford likely think if the engine lasts XXXXXXXXX miles without an issue related to fuel in oil then its a non issue. to them the engine is meeting its intended service life. I am interested to see lab reports if someone has a bad report or a malfunction of some sort related to fuel in oil. id bet a donut ford is well aware of what the issue is, what causes and what conditions etc. they have simply decided its not relevant to the durability of the trucks and not worth making a change. they told thousands of mustang v8 owners in 18-20 that the ticking noise of piston slap was normal and did not have any negatives for the engine lol. to be fair a lot of the folks didnt have a real issue, they just were not used to hearing all those fancy new fuel system noises. as far as i know ford has stuck to the no issue story and directed dealers in more than one tsb to tell customers its normal and ford will not pay or warranty investigation of the noise. sounds like what some of yall experienced with the fuel in oil thing too.
It costs $30. For a vehicle I purchased new and plan to have a long time (hopefully 200k miles+), it is very cheap insurance to have the data regarding the health of my engine. I will probably go to every other oil change now that I have a clean report but I wanted to be sure that even with oil dilution, wear metals remained low. There is something really awesome about having real data about the history of your vehicle. A $30 oil analysis has saved my butt in one instance that will pay for 150 analyses. Also having real data allows you to push your oil change interval (with quality oil).

Guys are changing their oil at 5k miles unnecessarily when they could likely be going to 7.5K or more (if they had the data to back it up). Idk about you guys, but for me, a DIY oil change with Amsoil and K&N Filter is $100 these days. A 50% increase in oil life is worth $50 (more than the $30 analysis).

Just food for thought. And I agree with you that this is likely a non-issue. I get oil analyses for all my vehicles whether they have known issues or not.
Sponsored