First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Hmm, my first test and I'm at .5 for fuel when the possible number wouldhavebeen 2-ish. Maybe the catch can is playing a part? And I am running a tune most of the time, wonder how that might play into this. Report showed no water but anticipated .1% or so. BTW this was the second oil change at about 15K miles and first since going from the default factory synthetic blend to straight Ford synthetic.

Here's the text from the report:

'Universal averages show typical wear for oil run ~5,200
miles, and while we don't know how your sample compares in terms of use, its metals look pretty good on
the whole. A few including aluminum and copper are a touch on the higher side, but given the model year,
the extra metal may just be lingering wear-in. If so, it should be on its way to washing out. We noted some
mild fuel dilution, but 0.5% is harmless and commonly from normal use, so it's not a big deal. The viscosity
reads close to a 5W/20. '

Flashpoint was 365 vs. 375 they expected, and 'insolubles' was .2 vs. what was anticipated >.6
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
Looks like we're actually getting enough input on this poll to develop a curve. Thanks for the input everyone, let's build on it with new or updated info.

In the main discussion thread, it was brought up by @jinja that extra details might be nice. some where:
Month and year
State
Climate
Auto start/stop disabled?
Driving distance average
Fuel type
Oil type

Anything else? Engine manufacturing date and where to find? Use of remote start for warm up? What info from people would we like to know? I'll go back and edit my top post with that information.

jinja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer 2015
Looks like we're actually getting enough input on this poll to develop a curve. Thanks for the input everyone, let's build on it with new or updated info.

In the main discussion thread, it was brought up by @jinja that extra details might be nice. some where:
Month and year
State
Climate
Auto start/stop disabled?
Driving distance average
Fuel type
Oil type

Anything else? Engine manufacturing date and where to find? Use of remote start for warm up? What info from people would we like to know? I'll go back and edit my top post with that information.
Driving style maybe give 3 options for organization: teenager, medium, grandma,

Color of coolant (did you get the orange or yellow?)

Amount of driving with an empty bed % of time

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Driving style maybe give 3 options for organization: teenager, medium, grandma,

Color of coolant (did you get the orange or yellow?)

Amount of driving with an empty bed % of time
How about tune/no tune and typical octane number(s)? Percentage of ethanol?

Since I've been noticed slightly depressed fuel economy since the national switch to winter fuel, it has me wondering if that translates into byproduct in the oil as well (seasonal).

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s mine. Went from 0.5% to 5% on the next change. Oil change and sample was taken after a couple months of fall into early winter. Occasional remote start to warm up. Always use auto stop start and always 91 octane.

1610335895544.png

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Here’s mine. Went from 0.5% to 5% on the next change. Oil change and sample was taken after a couple months of fall into early winter. Occasional remote start to warm up. Always use auto stop start and always 91 octane.

1610335895544.png
That’s a big jump in oil dilution from your first oil change. High percentage of short trips?

AverageWhiteGuy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Professional Procastinator
Every time I open the front hood of my car, I can smell gasoline. My crapware Hyundai Genesis Coupe never had that smell. Makes me think it's either running rich, or leaking gasoline somewhere.

I did my first oil change today at 2,253 miles. The factory semi-synthetic oil came out a dark army green color, made me feel a bit nervous. Replaced with Amsoil 5W-30. I plan on sending two samples out between Blackstone Labs, and Polaris. Historically Polaris has always claimed my oil has high fuel %, so should be interesting.

When I reset the oil life in the cluster menu, it said I still have "75% left" to go.. yeah no, definitely not waiting that long on weird colored oil.

I'm definitely upgrading those stupid 1/4 inch plastic pin things, they're cheap and crappy. Removing the oil filter was super hard. Kinda wonder if they cross threaded it or something. (?)

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
Factory fill in my Jeep was also green oil. I believe it is like LiquiMoly brand oil used for break in. It’s not unusual.

That’s a big jump in oil dilution from your first oil change. High percentage of short trips?
nope, regular for me which is a ten minute four mile drive both ways to work with longer twenty plus minute highway trips regularly

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
Got a Blackstone report back a couple of days ago. It shows a "trace" of fuel with just under 4k miles. My oil level has been stable and does not smell like gasoline so I'll take it.
Couple more thoughts. These engines sure beat up oil. There is no way I would be going over 5k miles for an oil change.

Ranger UOA1 (Medium).jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Got a Blackstone report back a couple of days ago. It shows a "trace" of fuel with just under 4k miles. My oil level has been stable and does not smell like gasoline so I'll take it.
Couple more thoughts. These engines sure beat up oil. There is no way I would be going over 5k miles for an oil change.
Same with mine. Viscosity was pretty well broken down at 5K miles, and that's with minimal (<.5%) fuel in oil. The oil life meter was telling me I had 5K miles left. No way. I will change my oil every 5K and not waiting any more than that.

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
So far so good. My oil had a fuel smell, so I had it changed, and tested, at 1,000 miles. Only showed a trace of oil.
1612568587469.png

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Here's my test if anyone wants to see. My wife has the full megabucks version of Adobe and she redacted the personal information for me. :D

Good to see a US Lubricants test too. @MotoWojo interesting that your truck did ok at first then got worse. I will likely be sending a sample in with every oil change to keep an eye on it over time.

I had a couple Blackstone test bottles left from my motorcycle racing days when I tested often. I asked for more and I see they now come with prepaid shipping labels. Nice. Makes testing oil easy.

@Da Ranger it looks like your results show your 2nd test doing much better. Are you registering your 1st or 2nd results in this poll?
Just curious, but has anyone noted any trends to the build date?

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
For those of you with multiple tests, wouldn’t using the average of all tests be a more accurate answer to the poll than using the highest test result you’ve received?

OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
For those of you with multiple tests, wouldn’t using the average of all tests be a more accurate answer to the poll than using the highest test result you’ve received?
Hmmm, maybe. It's up to the person posting the test. But whatever is done it's probably best to note it in the comments. I have another one coming up and I'm just going to use the most recent one, updating my mileage, and previous result in my post. I wish the poll forum software allowed multiple entries, but it's just one per person.

OP
OP
Zaph

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer
Just curious, but has anyone noted any trends to the build date?
Seems to be all over the place. I once took inventory of all the Sept-Oct '19 Rangers (like mine) that reported and it was indeed ranging from .5% to the 5-10% range.
Sponsored