Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

mk842766

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 F150 2019 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired!!!!
The effectiveness of a can shouldn't really be based on what it catches, but rather what it misses and allows to re-enter the intake. Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to quantify what's missed, but if the outlet hose going back to the manifold is dry, that would be an encouraging sign.

The reason that the amount caught isn't an accurate measure is because the contents of the can primarily consists of (1) actual blow-by product that is successfully condensed and contained by the internals of the can, plus (2) condensation that forms from simple temperature differences.

The amount of actual blow-by that passes into the can is affected by vehicle condition, driving habits, oil volatility, environmental conditions. The amount of condensation is also affected by mounting location, can design, can volume, can fill level, filter contamination level, and possibly even hose, union, and connector construction, diameter, length, and routing.

Ultimately, a can that "catches" a lot could just be condensing lots of moisture from the environment. Regardless, if it is letting oil pass through back into the manifold, it doesn't matter how much you find in the can.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The effectiveness of a can shouldn't really be based on what it catches, but rather what it misses and allows to re-enter the intake. Unfortunately, there really isn't a way to quantify what's missed, but if the outlet hose going back to the manifold is dry, that would be an encouraging sign.
Then in lieu of a catch can miss measuring meter the obvious solution would be to install a secondary catch can to catch what the primary can misses. But it might get expensive, some of those catch cans are pricey.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Catch Cans ...:devil:

Turbotom1052

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Screw
Occupation
Retired
^^^This ^^^

Please...no disrespect intended but Im not sure why owners think its a good idea to redesign vehicles and other recomendations engineers make. There are years of design and testing that goes into these things.

Catch can: if it needed it, Ford would have designed it in. I would venture to guess that a very large number of Ecoboost engines run fine and for a long time without it. There are a tiny few (%) that feel it needs it.
Oil: Ford knows what kind of oil it's engines need. Not sure why some owners feel they know more then the folks that engineered it.
Just because Fords engineers didn't add a catch can, or anything else for that matter, doesn't mean that the truck would not benefit from it. Engineers need to work within a budget when developing any new vehicle. Im certain that the company bean counters have as much a say about what's included and what's left out as the engineering team. In this post we talk about catch cans that are missing. In other posted we hear about the peeves of buyers who think Ford should have included A,B,or C widget. If Ford were to include every single thing that us consumers think that they should, we would be paying twice the price for our trucks.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The effectiveness of a can shouldn't really be based on what it catches, but rather what it misses and allows to re-enter the intake.
That doesn't even matter: what's actually important is whether the catch can affects the frequency of engine repairs. And that's a question that no amount of confirmation bias can really answer.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Installed the Mishimoto catch can Saturday 4/10. Two hours to install totally sucks if you have large hands which I do. Be prepared to loose some skin squeezing your hand between frame and body to release the clip on block mount, the worse part is pressing the new clip down
on the Mishimoto house mount. Intake manifold side is easier
When I looked into the catch can JLT had the easiest install; you only took loose the easier connection and the return (?) line snapped into the factory hose - it really was clever and would make returning the truck to stock easier. It's too bad their can is the least effective at capturing vapor.

If I were designing one it would be dual vacuum like the UPR, the nice mount of the Mishimoto and the ease of install of the JLT.

There would be no reason to skimp on components but a way to monitor levels of contaminants in the can and drain it without hassle or getting crap all over would be paramount.

UPR seems to have the best can and connectors while Mishimoto has theirs in a well thought out place visually. Early versions of the JLT placed the can at the highest point which is important to effectiveness; you had to remove the vanity piece from the top of the Lariat engine though.

With the low tension piston rings and high compression ratio turbocharged motor, it seems to me anyone who plans on keeping their truck for a long time, driving it hard (+ performance mods) would find value in the catch can.

Tailgate dampers not withstanding.

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
If Ford were to include every single thing that us consumers think that they should, we would be paying twice the price for our trucks.
We're already there. It's impossible to buy a basic truck today.

No power windows, no air conditioning, no collision alert, no cruise control, no anti-lock brakes.

You know, just a basic bare bones truck.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
We're already there. It's impossible to buy a basic truck today.

No power windows, no air conditioning, no collision alert, no cruise control, no anti-lock brakes.

You know, just a basic bare bones truck.
Won’t be long before you see plenty of them because of chip shortages. They will go back to callin them fleet trucks that are stripped to bare bones because they didn’t have the parts to add!!!

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
Then in lieu of a catch can miss measuring meter the obvious solution would be to install a secondary catch can to catch what the primary can misses. But it might get expensive, some of those catch cans are pricey.
If you’re not running 4 catch cans, you’re doing it wrong

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
If you’re not running 4 catch cans, you’re doing it wrong
yes just like in the distillation of alcoholic spirits, multiple distillations can improve the quality of the catch can end product, I want finely distilled liquids in my catch can(s) . Since I already have a UPR installed my next in line can might be a mishimoto or the JLT , I need to begin that eval process along with scoping out the possible locations in the engine compartment. I'm only hoping I don't catch so much volatile vapor that I need to run a flare like used in oil refining.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
That's the kind of testing you'd expect the catch can manufacturers would do, right? And then publish that data to prove the can is actually beneficial.

They don't. And I find that telling. Anything to show that a catch can is cost justified on our specific Ranger motors, you know, the motors that already come from the factory with a separator.
I don't think Ford, or GM or any manufacturer of TDI engines for that matter, would install a catch can at the factory because people are generally lazy or ignorant and wouldn't empty it which could lead to other problems, or they would think that there is something wrong with the engine in the first place if it needs something extra like that under the hood.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
Update on my catch can experience. Been running them for about 6 mos now. Mishimoto cans on both the valve cover breather side and the crankcase side. For every 5 times I empty the crankcase side can I might need to empty the breather side can. In cold weather the crankcase side can is 1/3 full after 2 tanks of gas. Mixture is 75% fuel and 25% water moisture / oil. Seeing as the valve stems never get washed in fuel (unlike non-DI engines), I am happy to keep this mixture from getting all over the valves and forming a build up of airflow restrictive sludge over time like what happened in my Nissan 5.6 DI engine at 95k.

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
This thread is pretty long and a lot to digest at this point. If I were to add a catch can would it catch most or all of the fuel that is ending up in my oil so I could effectively “move on” from dealing with that or would it not be effective? For those that previously had an issue with that did the catch can help?

Secondly, I see it’s about a 2-3 hour install but are we talking completely reversible with no major signs of the install if the truck needed to go in for warranty work? I really don’t trust my local dealer for warranty shenanigans with an aftermarket upgrade like this. I wouldn’t take it in for any oil changes so it would only be if there was a major recall or repair needed I would want to be able to take this thing off.
Sponsored