rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
Removing the hoses were just as fun as installing them. I just posted for sale in the classifieds here.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Last edited:

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think Ford, or GM or any manufacturer of TDI engines for that matter, would install a catch can at the factory because people are generally lazy or ignorant and wouldn't empty it which could lead to other problems, or they would think that there is something wrong with the engine in the first place if it needs something extra like that under the hood.
I think that if the manufacturer installed a catch can and told buyers that it would need to be emptied every x miles, then the government would make the dealer perform the service and the disposal of the caught fluids. Then everyone would have to pay more for their new vehicles because of all of the "free" disposal of catch can contents.

Say that 3 times really fast.... catch can contents catch can contents catch can contents

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Without the catch can that liquid is already going into the engine. I would think that the can's filter/screen would slow things down to be similar to what already goes into the engine without the can. I think the biggest issue is in the winter if you have a completely full can and it freezes due to high moisture content.
But the question should be is the catch can making vapor into liquid or is there truly liquid going back into the engine?

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
But the question should be is the catch can making vapor into liquid or is there truly liquid going back into the engine?
Of course the can is condensing / separating vapors into liquids. How else do you think the liquids got into the can?

Of course there are liquids going into the engine... that's what vapor is.. fine droplets of a substance and air.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Not exactly what I was asking. I understand that vapor is liquid in a gas state. The point I was trying to make, is the catch can creating a need where there is not a need? If the engine is designed to recycle the oil and gas, is the catch can doing more harm than good?

I do not think I would want to empty a catch can out multiple times a week (depending on driving habits). It would seem to be a poor design if the engine is not properly recycling the oil/fuel.

jmurph

First Name
jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Ranger
Occupation
Gov
just depends if you wanna have to clean your valves farther down the road is all if you mean by design?

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
You have a supercharged F-150 engine in your Ranger?
yeah, it was included when I bought the catch can?

was a PITA to install though.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Not exactly what I was asking. I understand that vapor is liquid in a gas state. The point I was trying to make, is the catch can creating a need where there is not a need? If the engine is designed to recycle the oil and gas, is the catch can doing more harm than good?

I do not think I would want to empty a catch can out multiple times a week (depending on driving habits). It would seem to be a poor design if the engine is not properly recycling the oil/fuel.
.... the data acquired by (2) motors running side by side, one with a can and one without, followed by a tear down, would be better than no data whatsoever.

There's gotta be a reason Ford added the oil separator to every GDI Ranger.. I'm betting their in-house testing showed it worked good enough to get the motor through the warranty period without any coking issues.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But the data acquired by (2) motors running side by side, one with a can and one without, followed by a tear down, would be better than no data whatsoever.

There's gotta be a reason Ford added the oil separator to every GDI Ranger.. I'm betting their in-house testing showed it worked good enough to get the motor through the warranty period without any coking issues.
That's the whole point why some folks feel the need to run a CC. I don't have any level of trust that something "good enough" for Ford, or GM, or the government, or virtually any corporation that sells anything to consumers has the best interest of that consumer at heart. I have spent wayyy too many years on this planet to trust big business. If you want to blindly accept their version of the truth as gospel so be it.

I plan to keep this truck beyond the warranty period and that's why I put a CC on. For a relatively small cost, from my own pocket--not yours BTW, and a bit of work to empty it from time to time, along with regular maintenance I expect this engine to last a long time.

But you go right ahead and do what you feel is right for you. But maybe you should start to save your old walnut shells for the eventual intake blasting many GDI engines seem to need after a while...

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
After seeing the Ford oil separator that HenryMac posted for $36 I'm beginning to feel better about my purchase of a UPR catch can. It (oil separator) looks very rudimentary to me and not a whole lot of surface area to condense vapors. As engines age many will produce more blow by and I have to wonder how effective that small OEM separator will be.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
That's the whole point why some folks feel the need to run a CC. I don't have any level of trust that something "good enough" for Ford, or GM, or the government, or virtually any corporation that sells anything to consumers has the best interest of that consumer at heart. I have spent wayyy too many years on this planet to trust big business. If you want to blindly accept their version of the truth as gospel so be it.

I plan to keep this truck beyond the warranty period and that's why I put a CC on. For a relatively small cost, from my own pocket--not yours BTW, and a bit of work to empty it from time to time, along with regular maintenance I expect this engine to last a long time.

But you go right ahead and do what you feel is right for you. But maybe you should start to save your old walnut shells for the eventual intake blasting many GDI engines seem to need after a while...
What's with the condescending attitude, Jim?

Opinions vary. Good luck to you.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
I like the idea of a catch can, OTOH my Ranger was technically a Certified Pre-Owned and I got a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty so I'm leaning in favor of not worrying about it. Seems to me that a CC would be needed more if you do a lot of short trips, which I do not, I have an 18 mile commute to work, uphill both ways. If the factory put one on it would be a small maintenance item that 99% of owners would not pay attention to.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What's with the condescending attitude, Jim?
I got it right around the same time you asked if I had an F150 engine in my Ranger.
Sponsored