Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Can confirm: install sucks. Second hose does not want to go on enough, or not straight enough, so I can close the clip. I hope I can get this thing back together before bedtime????

bulldogger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Installed the Mishimoto catch can Saturday 4/10. Two hours to install totally sucks if you have large hands which I do. Be prepared to loose some skin squeezing your hand between frame and body to release the clip on block mount, the worse part is pressing the new clip down
on the Mishimoto house mount. Intake manifold side is easier

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Installed the Mishimoto catch can Saturday 4/10. Two hours to install totally sucks if you have large hands which I do.
IIRC the Mishimoto install video indicates a 2.5 hr install - so congrats on your time. Besides the satisfaction of a job well done you are hereby entitled to post pics of what your can has collected, make sure you use a clear glass jar with measuring notches , proper lighting and an accounting of miles driven.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Is there a posting of a oil analyzes before and after installing a catch can. I have read thru most of this thread and probably missed it. I didn't get my 1500mile breakin oil checked, next oil change I will. I may not even need one.?
That's the kind of testing you'd expect the catch can manufacturers would do, right? And then publish that data to prove the can is actually beneficial.

They don't. And I find that telling. Anything to show that a catch can is cost justified on our specific Ranger motors, you know, the motors that already come from the factory with a separator.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
That's the kind of testing you'd expect the catch can manufacturers would do, right? And then publish that data to prove the can is actually beneficial.

They don't. And I find that telling. Anything to show that a catch can is cost justified on our specific Ranger motors, you know, the motors that already come from the factory with a separator.
Not sure what testing the crankcase oil before or after would reveal or accomplish much of anything, with or without the can the same vapors are being pulled from the crankcase but the theory is that the stuff collected in the can helps prevent deposit build up on the valves.
I did see one study that ties GDI intake valve deposits more to the exhaust vapors from the action of the CVVT - Ford is using an EGR system so I'm don't know whether to what extent that is relevant of the 2.3.
Anyways I can now say I "modded" my powertrain and maybe even post some glorious pics of catch can harvesting.
If you desire to see some questionable intake valve claims I think a very good source is from the chem makers like CRC who post before and after pics and some percent of deposits removed from the intake valves - you know like 89.999999% deposits removed.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Not sure what testing the crankcase oil before or after would reveal or accomplish much of anything, with or without the can the same vapors are being pulled from the crankcase but the theory is that the stuff collected in the can helps prevent deposit build up on the valves.
I did see one study that ties GDI intake valve deposits more to the exhaust vapors from the action of the CVVT - Ford is using an EGR system so I'm don't know whether to what extent that is relevant of the 2.3.
Anyways I can now say I "modded" my powertrain and maybe even post some glorious pics of catch can harvesting.
If you desire to see some questionable intake valve claims I think a very good source is from the chem makers like CRC who post before and after pics and some percent of deposits removed from the intake valves - you know like 89.999999% deposits removed.
I'm well read on the subject, and have seen (most) all of the videos and talked to mechanics that are knowledgeable on the topic also.

None of which are showing, or know, or can provide data that definitively shows positive, or negative, results of a catch can on our Ranger motors, the motors that already have a separator from the factory.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
I'm well read on the subject, and have seen (most) all of the videos and talked to mechanics that are knowledgeable on the topic also.

None of which are showing, or know, or can provide data that definitively shows positive, or negative, results of a catch can on our Ranger motors, the motors that already have a separator from the factory.
Well around 50 to 60K when most warranties are up and over and the buildup on intake valves is causing issues that would require a walnut shell blast to fix at a hefty expense, you can tell us it wasn’t worth the forward thinking on our parts? Bet most if not all that are using them won’t be half as bad as the ones that did nothing. It’s a known issue with TDI engines. So the question now becomes, do you feel lucky today? ?

bulldogger

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Cans are beneficial yes they have a separator on both Ford ecoboost 2.0 and 2.3 engines from the factory, and I have seen coked up intakes valves that require cleaning. The fact that you are catching oil in the can kind of reinforces the fact that fords factory separator isn't doing all that well. Catch cans reduce the amount of oil blow by that coats the intake valves. If you don't think they work that is fine then don't use one, some people also believe the word is flat to each there own:like:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Well around 50 to 60K when most warranties are up and over and the buildup on intake valves is causing issues that would require a walnut shell blast to fix at a hefty expense, you can tell us it wasn’t worth the forward thinking on our parts? Bet most if not all that are using them won’t be half as bad as the ones that did nothing. It’s a known issue with TDI engines. So the question now becomes, do you feel lucky today? ?
Can I sell you a can of carburetor cleaner for your Ranger? That worked great for years and years and years.

You act as if there are no 50 to 60K Rangers on the road? And you're "assumption" is Ford hasn't addressed the issue, even though our motors come from the factory with a separator mounted on the engine..

Show me a GDI motored 2019 or newer Ranger with 50 to 60k that has the issue, and one that has a catch can that doesn't have the issue, and I'll start believing. Until then, you're using flawed data.

I'm speculating all the captured fluids in aftermarket catch cans has more to do with the long uninsulated lines that run up to the catch can, those lines cool the hot vapors, producing liquids, that the can then catches. Fuel vapors that would have washed over the valves, helped to clean them and resulted in less build up. And that's why Ford places the separator right on the motor so the vapors don't cool off and condense.

It's really not to much to expect a company to do R&D to prove their product on new applications. Well that's how it used to work.

Catch Cans and Tailgate Pampers...

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Can I sell you a can of carburetor cleaner for your Ranger? That worked great for years and years and years.

You act as if there are no 50 to 60K Rangers on the road? And you're "assumption" is Ford hasn't addressed the issue, even though our motors come from the factory with a separator mounted on the engine..

Show me a GDI motored 2019 or newer Ranger with 50 to 60k that has the issue, and one that has a catch can that doesn't have the issue, and I'll start believing. Until then, you're using flawed data.

I'm speculating all the captured fluids in aftermarket catch cans has more to do with the long uninsulated lines that run up to the catch can, those lines cool the hot vapors, producing liquids, that the can then catches. Fuel vapors that would have washed over the valves, helped to clean them and resulted in less build up. And that's why Ford places the separator right on the motor so the vapors don't cool off and condense.

It's really not to much to expect a company to do R&D to prove their product on new applications. Well that's how it used to work.

Catch Cans and Tailgate Pampers...
Someone is a little emotional about catch cans. I’m puzzled though, if you dislike them so much, why do you stay on this thread? Are you that bored in your day to day?

I for one have pulled out more then enough mixture of fluids to justify my purchase and I will continue to post updates as time goes along. With my fancy glass bottles and all ???

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
In my opinion, no. I’m pretty sure Ford does super thorough testing for 150,000 miles and absolutely tortured this powertrain in the testing phase. If there were issues I think they would have found them and resolved them. If Ford can’t be trusted to do testing on their powertrains, maybe we should’ve all bought Tacomas ??‍♂

P.S. I am not worried about the longevity of this drivetrain whatsoever or I wouldn’t be here. I love my truck

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Someone is a little emotional about catch cans. I’m puzzled though, if you dislike them so much, why do you stay on this thread? Are you that bored in your day to day?

I for one have pulled out more then enough mixture of fluids to justify my purchase and I will continue to post updates as time goes along. With my fancy glass bottles and all ???
The wizard says pay no attention to what is going on behind the curtain. Take 2 cans of carburetor cleaner, and call Mishimoto in the morning.
Sponsored