Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Any DI engine can only benefit from a catch can. I'll probably end up adding one, the RS got that treatment.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Know nothing about this.

Can someone explain?
Direct Injected engines have fuel sprayed directly into the combustion chamber. They don't have the luxury of the fuel washing over the intake valves to keep them clean. Over time they can build up carbon deposits and gum up. The catch can (air oil separator) grabs on to the oil and holds it in the can while still allowing airflow.

Marshal.

First Name
Marshal
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger, 1979 Mazda rx7
As soon as one becomes available for the ranger, I too will get ordering and installing one

OP
OP
Beef_Stew

Beef_Stew

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
How often do you guys drain them? Every oil change or just when their full?

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
How often do you guys drain them? Every oil change or just when their full?
I'd over check at first, at least once a month until you get a good idea of how much oil your catching. Now I only check my RS every oil change as there's only a few ounces in there.

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
I plan to get a catch can once there is something available. I have to drain my 5.0L GT (NA) every 1000 miles - I'm getting about 3 oz every thousand miles. I would check it monthly, noting miles, until you have a good feel for how long you can let it go. Let a catch can overflow, and you've got some serious issues.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Is this an issue with the 2.3L's? Lot's of debates using the cans for the 2.7L and 3.5L EB's but there hasn't been any hard evidence of valve issues even with high mileage (200k mile +) EB's.
Personally I run a low NOACK oil and not worry about the can.

bandit67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2007 Saleen/Parnelli Jones 302
The 3.5L since 2018 added port injection back into the motor, so valve "coking" not an issue. The 2.7L & 2.3L only have direct injection, so coking can be an issue. Over time, buildup can occur, decreasing engine efficiency. Issues start becoming noticeable around 100k miles. Up till then, the slight, slow decrease in power & fuel efficiency my not be as noticeable.

Good quality synthetic oil can help, but all the other byproducts recycling through the intake are still an issue.

PandaMotorworks

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 2017 Titan 2008 Ford Focus 2014 Ford Fiesta ST
We are talking to radium engineering on getting a catch can made. They have some of the best cans on the market today!

We should receive our ranger next week and we will be test fitting some parts form the RS over to see what all works and doesnt.

I have confirmed our step colder NGK's are the same in the ranger and RS!

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
Good youtube channel run by a Ford tech. He had considerable carbon issues on his valves on his 2.0 Explorer Ecoboost. He recommends going with a catch-can on any Ecoboost / DI engines.

willtech556

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Toyota Tundra
It makes no sense why Ford didn't go with dual injection on the Ranger like they did with the 2nd generation 3.5. I feel like with this being a 4 banger and the motor always having to work a little harder, carbon buildup is going to be a real issue with these trucks without a catch can installed.

Bubbabiker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150 Supercrew FX4
Dual injection is slowly being phased in to meet future emission requirements. Adding port injection is not only for cleaning the intake valves but for reducing particulate emissions. Otherwise particulate filters will be required on GDI engines just like diesels.
Sponsored