Oil Catch Can. Yes or No?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I put one on (Mishimoto). Only bad thing is I wish I now had room for a bigger one. Thus summer I might mount it differently and get an extended volume can. I am just getting condensation from the winter weather which is good, but it needs emptied at least twice a week. I have a petcock and hose, so it isn't too bad.
Sponsored

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Whew. Read this whole thread. Gotta have something to do during lockdown I guess. I ordered a Mishimoto back around page 23 or so, and now I'm not looking forward to the install lol, Realistically I'll wait until warmer weather, that way my knuckles won't hurt so much while they heal.

There are two sides to every argument but at the end of the day I believe a clean engine is a happy engine, and I plan to keep this truck for a long time, or until I die, whichever comes first. If I can keep that crud from cycling back through the intake, that makes good sense to me.
it’s worth it

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Transit bus mechanic, former Ford master tech
Vehicle Showcase
well I installed the catch can 2 weeks ago, and I have had to empty it twice already. Mostly water, its been really cold here. This might be one of the reasons that Ford didn't install a catch can. It needs to be looked after quite a bit and making somethin require more maintenance will not fly. Week 1 I drained 2+oz of water/oil mix, week 2 almost 4oz. I will keep checking it every week, as long as its cold. I am curious to see how mush it collects in warmer weather.
0211211526.jpg
0215211453.jpg

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
well I installed the catch can 2 weeks ago, and I have had to empty it twice already. Mostly water, its been really cold here. This might be one of the reasons that Ford didn't install a catch can. It needs to be looked after quite a bit and making somethin require more maintenance will not fly. Week 1 I drained 2+oz of water/oil mix, week 2 almost 4oz. I will keep checking it every week, as long as its cold. I am curious to see how mush it collects in warmer weather.
0211211526.jpg
0215211453.jpg
I know next to nothing about catch cans but I am curious what happens if you neglect to empty them. Does it cause problems?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
0211211526.jpg
0215211453.jpg
Hi Eric,

OMG....my motor makes Black and Tan's and I did not know Ford had this feature!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I believe that if the can fills up it could then suck the water/oil into the intake manifold and could cause some problems

runner69

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Eric,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
yes Ford has always been cutting edge, lol

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
0211211526.jpg
0215211453.jpg
During summer I only emptied it maybe every 3000 miles. What little comes out is usually thick and a lot of carbon building up. I posted awhile back where I took it apart and had to clean everything

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I’ve also noticed the more I warm the truck up with remote start in the morning, more fluid to drain out.

Sammyboy808

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Porsche Macan S
Occupation
Wholesale Distribution
I do not have a Ranger yet, as I will placing my order in January, but I will be adding a quality air-oil separator.
I don't want to add to any debate as to its necessity, but I simply would not want any PCV generated oil vapors running through my intercooler and intake tract. I recently communicated with Kyle Sargent at Ford Performance, and he stated that they were working on one for the Ranger.
When ready, it will show up on the Ford Performance website.
I am assuming that it will be similar to the one for the Ecoboost Mustang, but adjusted for the Ranger's engine layout.
In my opinion, Ford realizes the need for this on the DI motors, but would not want to be liable for the regular inspection/maintenance of an air-oil separator on the general population of future owners who for the most part would probably ignore it. This of course would most likely lead to even worse maintenance issues of excessive contaminated oil ingestion into the intake tract.
Any update on Ford Performance releasing one at this point? I still haven't seen on or rumors of one yet other than what you've said. Just picked up a 2021 and would be willing to strap in a FP can just so if anything happens Ford can't pushback on any warranty work that could potentially come up.

Tim H.

First Name
TJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4X4, 2016 Corvette Stingray
Occupation
REALTOR
Hi Eric,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Only the Rangers built in Ireland...?

FoMoCoDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Is there a posting of a oil analyzes before and after installing a catch can. I have read thru most of this thread and probably missed it. I didn't get my 1500mile breakin oil checked, next oil change I will. I may not even need one.?

Jacob

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Is there a posting of a oil analyzes before and after installing a catch can. I have read thru most of this thread and probably missed it. I didn't get my 1500mile breakin oil checked, next oil change I will. I may not even need one.?
I’m collecting the fluid in an old port bottle. I’ll probably send out some of the fluid to an oil testing lab to see what it says. Looking at the color though, it appears to be a mixture of oil, gas, carbon, and water.

as for the actual oil. Only issue was a little bit of gas build up in the oil during the first 10k miles. That went away though
Sponsored