First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
Why didn't Ford program the A/C recirculation door to always close when key is in the off position!!!

The door I'm talking about is the door above the cabin filter behind the glove box that leads to the other side of the firewall. Any bugs, mice, hell a fat squirrel could fit through there as the default position when you turn off the key is half open/closed.

Took the truck to the dealer here in Idaho to have the tires rotated, oil change, general inspection, and a heat shield replaced that was poorly attached to the vehicle with not enough adhesive. They noticed a nest in the filter box. I had just detailed the truck yesterday inside and out and today were mouse droppings on the passenger mat, and a good chuck of felt from under the seat was missing. No clue at this point where the bugger is but have traps in the truck tonight and tomorrow will have to install a fine mesh screen over the two access holes on the firewall. Won't stop any small bugs but should stop any mice. Little bastard did take a chunk out of the felt covering the battery. I'll need to get some dryer sheets and install around the felt there. Now I gotta take things apart and vacuum out the duct work, since no telling what and where any nesting is.

If you hear a story of a Ford Ranger that blew up in Northern Idaho you know who it was....

caddyshack.jpg

Side note...man they want alot of coin for used Rangers up here. They had four or five on the lot. The cheapest was a 2019 Lariat Sport for 47k with 14k miles on it. Funny part was every super duty on the lot looked like they stripped off the rims and tires and put on spares. So odd to see these massive trucks with baby tires on. Not sure if its a theft protection thing or what. They did have a Lighting on the lot that they most certainly don't intend on selling at 135k for the base model unless they find a sucker.
Thanks for the schooling. Now we know.
Sponsored

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired

Snowy

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX, 1989 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Occupation
ASL teacher
I ended up using some aluminum drywall patch. The sticky side really helps positioning the pieces and holding in place while it gets taped. up. Cleaned the area with alcohol and used aluminum tape to hold in place and seal the edges. Gonna be a pain to remove the tape when a more permanent solution can be printed up. I ended up cutting two pieces 5.5" x 3.5" so there is a 1/4" overlap around the openings. Taping was a PITA, but not impossible. I trapped another one last night in the truck, I'll keep on trapping until no more are left and no signs of droppings. The mesh is small enough it should also keep out most bugs. I may have a slight reduction in fresh air, but I doubt it would be noticeable. The alternative is much worse.

IMG_3963.JPG
Nice to know! Thank you for the sharing and I am considering to do this with gutter net.

FunInTheSun

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL 4x4, STX, in Velocity Blue
Occupation
Engineer (Semi-Retired)
Vehicle Showcase
I ended up using some aluminum drywall patch. The sticky side really helps positioning the pieces and holding in place while it gets taped. up. Cleaned the area with alcohol and used aluminum tape to hold in place and seal the edges. Gonna be a pain to remove the tape when a more permanent solution can be printed up. I ended up cutting two pieces 5.5" x 3.5" so there is a 1/4" overlap around the openings. Taping was a PITA, but not impossible. I trapped another one last night in the truck, I'll keep on trapping until no more are left and no signs of droppings. The mesh is small enough it should also keep out most bugs. I may have a slight reduction in fresh air, but I doubt it would be noticeable. The alternative is much worse.

IMG_3963.JPG
Just a design thought. If you 3D print something, you should probably limit the plastic to a holder or clips for some stainless steel or aluminum mesh. Squirrels can eat through the plastic. Good luck in your battle.

Edit: Apparently they can eat aluminum, too...

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
My CRV had that issue.
Mice moved in. I took some 1/4 inch mesh wire and glued it over the large opening. Haven't had a problem since.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger

IMG_3963.JPG
This will be one of the first things I do when I get mine. We live out in the country and mice are a problem.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Not sure the relevance...got me confused. But I did have my oil changed two weeks ago at the dealer here in Phoenix and their checklist came back fine.
Not sure the relevance...got me confused. But I did have my oil changed two weeks ago at the dealer here in Phoenix and their checklist came back fine.
Haha...just so you feel better you don't have this bigger issue...I agree it's a strange oversight about the door...we have snakes in our area so meeces are not a problem...

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Just found this thread! I've been fighting the mice issue! I wasn't aware of the the openings. I like the mesh solution.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Work has been hectic since my arrival back in Phoenix for the winter along with some long awaited home projects that needed to get done. Hoping to have a window here in the next few weeks to get a design done and printed to cover the holes in the firewall. Should be fun to get in there with a micrometer to get measurements.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
Work has been hectic since my arrival back in Phoenix for the winter along with some long awaited home projects that needed to get done. Hoping to have a window here in the next few weeks to get a design done and printed to cover the holes in the firewall. Should be fun to get in there with a micrometer to get measurements.
Prototype with cardboard and measure the resulting shape?

scarchild35

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Sales Engineer
I've never considered this. Luckily, we don't have critter problems, at least not that I'm aware of but it sounds like a shitty predicament. I'm curious though, doesn't the cabin air filter fit tightly enough so that it won't allow pests into the interior duct work? I honestly don't completely understand how that system works. Anyone, please enlighten me. And just to be safe, I'd also be interested in installing some kind of deterrent like ya'll are mentioning, just in case...
Mice suck.
Sponsored