JDowns

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
That "good chunk of felt" is going to make nice padding on somebody's nest... Seriously, this is a real problem. There are a couple of threads on here about rodents getting into members' Rangers and what to do about it. Happily, no rodents have moved into my Ranger yet, at least none that I know of...
Fortunately the nest was on the cabin filter so there was no need to go searching. I sucked out the vents last night and nothing in there. The fat gal was in the trap this morning, thankfully got her before she had youngin's in the vehicle. I'll trap again tonight and tomorrow to make sure nobody else is in there. Not gonna have time today to mesh off the holes since I have way to much to get done today, so I'll have to tackle that tomorrow. I did pick up some aluminum mesh to cover the holes. It won't be pretty, but it will work until I can print up some proper hole vents that can be snapped into place later this fall.

This whole problem could be solved if they just programmed the recirculation door to be always closed when the ignition is off. Leaving that much of a gaping hole is just poor design thinking.
Sponsored

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I spray pine sol on my engine. The smell keeps them at bay. I also set out the poison boxes. In the desert it is a constant battle.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Dryer sheets won't do shit besides give the mouse nesting material.

Minty essential oils spritzed around on surfaces will work much better.
Mothballs in an old sock stashed a few different places in engine compartment works great.

RangerTX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
Why didn't Ford program the A/C recirculation door to always close when key is in the off position!!!

The door I'm talking about is the door above the cabin filter behind the glove box that leads to the other side of the firewall. Any bugs, mice, hell a fat squirrel could fit through there as the default position when you turn off the key is half open/closed.

Took the truck to the dealer here in Idaho to have the tires rotated, oil change, general inspection, and a heat shield replaced that was poorly attached to the vehicle with not enough adhesive. They noticed a nest in the filter box. I had just detailed the truck yesterday inside and out and today were mouse droppings on the passenger mat, and a good chuck of felt from under the seat was missing. No clue at this point where the bugger is but have traps in the truck tonight and tomorrow will have to install a fine mesh screen over the two access holes on the firewall. Won't stop any small bugs but should stop any mice. Little bastard did take a chunk out of the felt covering the battery. I'll need to get some dryer sheets and install around the felt there. Now I gotta take things apart and vacuum out the duct work, since no telling what and where any nesting is.

If you hear a story of a Ford Ranger that blew up in Northern Idaho you know who it was....

caddyshack.jpg

Side note...man they want alot of coin for used Rangers up here. They had four or five on the lot. The cheapest was a 2019 Lariat Sport for 47k with 14k miles on it. Funny part was every super duty on the lot looked like they stripped off the rims and tires and put on spares. So odd to see these massive trucks with baby tires on. Not sure if its a theft protection thing or what. They did have a Lighting on the lot that they most certainly don't intend on selling at 135k for the base model unless they find a sucker.
Thanks for the heads up. I will check mine and also make a chicken wire type screen for them...

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
Dryer sheets won't do shit besides give the mouse nesting material.

Minty essential oils spritzed around on surfaces will work much better.
My neighbor buys the cheap sheets and soaks them in peppermint oil. The sheets tend to absorb the oil well.

I just went ahead while I was at the hardware store and picked up a few boxes of Grandpa Gus repellent pouches again. They worked great last year but I didn't have much of an issue last year. I think I'm being over run this year due to the mild early season we had with plenty of rain and since I cleared out about 6 acres of heavy brush last year around the barn I probably upset the habitat a bit. When I cut back the grass and regrowth this year there were spots where mice were fleeing in packs. So I probably created most of the problem. Just gonna take a awhile to cut back their numbers.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
I need @P. A. Schilke to get me the address of the engineer responsible for the either not including mesh on the holes or the programmer for the recirculation door. I got some mice I want to deliver then I'm pretty sure there would be a future design change.

2020XLT

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
It would be great if someone with a 3 D printer that has a Ranger could make and sell a screen to protect the holes in the firewall area to us folks on this forum

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
It would be great if someone with a 3 D printer that has a Ranger could make and sell a screen to protect the holes in the firewall area to us folks on this forum
That is my plan for when I get back to Phoenix in the fall. I don't bring my printer back and forth. I'm thinking a two-piece design. One would snap into the existing oval hole(s) on the firewall. The second would snap into the first piece. Between the two some sort of wire mesh that is replaceable for varying size mesh or a pre filter.

This would be a-lot better than my current plan to just tape on some wire mesh temporarily.

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
We had a Golden and the things that we had to help finish extracting……
i have found 44mag round, battery, pennies and parts of a remote from my wife's pitbull in the back yard while cleaning up the piles
KIMG1429.JPG

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
That is my plan for when I get back to Phoenix in the fall. I don't bring my printer back and forth. I'm thinking a two-piece design. One would snap into the existing oval hole(s) on the firewall. The second would snap into the first piece. Between the two some sort of wire mesh that is replaceable for varying size mesh or a pre filter.

This would be a-lot better than my current plan to just tape on some wire mesh temporarily.
I don't really need one but I'm willing to shell out like $20-$25 bucks.

I don't have a mice issue but them damn hornets find their way in all sorts of spots..

DRVMN

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Off Road
Occupation
High School Mathematics Instructor
Anyone have a picture of these holes . . . I looked but am not sure what I am looking for.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I swear to God whoever uses the @ function to call Phil over the next two weeks is gonna get my foot up their ass.
I need @P. A. Schilke to get me the address of the engineer responsible for the either not including mesh on the holes or the programmer for the recirculation door. I got some mice I want to deliver then I'm pretty sure there would be a future design change.
I warned you all.

Bend over and get ready.
Sponsored