This is the End. Beautiful Friend. The End. My only Friend, The End...

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
More than the truck, I've loved this group. Great people and amazing knowledge. In anticipation of purchasing a Taco I started hanging out on their forums and I have to say, I won't be frequenting them unless I need to.

Unfortunately the situation with the Misfire on CYL-1 and how Ford has handled that (Still looking at you Peoria Ford) has left me with no confidence in the truck or the company that should be backing it. There is a design flaw and they know it.

I refuse to buy a GM Product. Ford is off the table now. Not a fan of the Nissans. Honda who? That pretty much leaves Rivian that I can't afford, a Tesla Cyber Truck that they don't really make yet, and a Tacoma. Sooooo.....

Traded the truck in today on a 2023 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4. I wanted the Trail Edition, but this actually had a crazy amount of goodies on it that the Trail didn't and it was cheaper. More truck for less money. I'll take it. Yes - going to have to get used to the lack of speed but that's a small trade off for what I hope is a 300,000 mile truck.

I'm still curious to see what Dave does with his so I'll come back here from time to time, but yeah, no longer a 5G Driver.

Insert Dramatic Walk Off Music...
“Cancel my subscription to the resurrection, send my credentials to the house of detention”

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Nice ! 👍 , I traded my Ranger for a Taco a few months back , went over there to be welcomed by my new Taco brothers and IT DID NOT GO WELL!!! A few hours in and I was all the way up to "imnotlyingimreallynotbudule" before the final boot 👢, brutal over there I tell ya , guess I'm here a while longer , so you are too !
Subaru forum is the same bunch of jerks .

Superdannyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport Appearance Package
I'm curious why you didn't wait for the new Tacoma? Even if you didn't want the new one it would have brought the price down on that gen once they had the new ones in.

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
Off the cuff comparisons...
Dimensionally the exterior feels bigger parking it where I normally park, but the interior feels smaller. Despite that, one of the reasons I Taco'd was because of the better layout of the space to store gear and crap inside the cab. When I moved out of the truck I filled a 27 gallon tote. Shit was busting at the seams in the Ranger (Col Travis), but fits nicely in the Taco (Jim Bowie). It's more accessible too.

The drivers seat is shallower and falls off my thigh sooner than the Ranger did - that might be an issue on long drives. Also the back rest feels a little flatter where the Ford bolsters hugged you in a little better. My Ford also had heated seats and the Taco doesn't. Not that I need them for warmth, but I was starting to use them for therapy on my aging back.

Suspension... Not sure if this is a fair comparison because the Ranger was an XLT 4x4 and this is TRD Off Road. The Yota handles rough pavement, speedbumps, parkinglot transitions like a goddamn Cadillac. No doubt this could probably be achieved if you put the same Bilstein Shocks on the Ranger.

The Taco has a quieter cabin - SO FAR. The 40,000 miles on the Ranger was starting to develop cabin rattles and creaks and squeaks. Sounded like two foam coolers next to each other squeaking and about 5 or 6 1/4 nuts rolling around inside. Maybe the Taco gets there in 40K? Maybe not?

Some of the Toyota Tech is clunky at best. They really need to up that game. Ford does a digital dash and infotainment (I feel dirty saying that word) system better than Toyota does in this truck. Have heard that since about 2019, the User Interface of the Toyota cars has been getting better but Toyota neglected the trucks for the big 2024 launch.

Mine came as some sort of super upgraded package. I'm still not sure what all I have on it but it has the Terrain Management, Crawl Mode, LED headlights. Electrical outlet in the bed, Bed lighting, Flip and fold Toneau cover, Bed rail cargo system, POWER SLIDING REAR WINDOW, Inductive Phone Charger, Rear Locker, and Good Year Off Road Tires. The Good Years aren't as good as the BFGATKO's I slapped on the Ranger but they came up-sized and good to go w/o having to pull off the stockers and replace the tires right away. We'll see how long they last.

IMG_3753.jpg

In the pic you can see the sloping driveway and why I had an issue with water. New Taco has an inclinomerter so I'll see what angle the driveway is at.

Got $29,500 for the Ranger and paid a few bucks less than $46,000 for the Taco. I did purchase the additional 10/100 Bumper to Bumper Platinum Warranty because I don't want to have any more hassles with issues if they happen on the Taco.
But does it have an engine cover? Can little critters bunk down comfortably?

I saw your mention of the seats and wanted to remind you of Seat Jackers.

https://desertdoesit.com/collections/all-vehicles?constraint=toyota

I put them in Soupie and Kate and I find it makes the seats more comfy (a couple of long trips now and the seats do great).

I originally learned about Seat Jackers from a Taco YouTuber who does lots of great mods:

https://www.youtube.com/c/ChloeKuoTaco

1684760872243.png

Bomberhd

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired from Road Construction
I guess I should consider myself lucky. I bought my Ranger at Romeo Ford, Kingston, NY even though I live almost 3 hours away. They treated me great even though they knew I would not be able to go there for service. When i bought it, no one in my area had one. My local dealer (Steet Ponte Ford) has been fantastic. When the heated box/blend door went, they replaced it with no problems at all. After reading all of the dealer issues everyone has had, I count my blessings. I've got 57,000 miles and not a problem aside from the heater box. Best of luck with your Taco.

ppfd

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tremor
Occupation
RN/Paramedic
1. Realize owning a Tacoma for most is akin to being in a cult, they take fan boy to a new level

2. which Tacoma forums are you on? Tacoma world is about the best I've been on. The fan boyism and cult persona is alive and well. They do a decent job at keeping it in check....... for the most part.

3. I'm looking hard at another Tacoma, at least I know the issues are verified. I never exoected a perfect truck as one does not exist. But, everytime I drive this ranger something new pops up. I'll run this one at least another year. I figure 2023s will start showing up on the lots this fall, early next year.

4. Remember #1 ! 😄

JimG_AZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Greg, congrats on the Tacoma. I have owned a bunch of Toyota's and 2 of them were Tacoma's. The thing that confuses me about this was that it appears this was over a $780 repair bill on your Ranger. Sure, I would not have been happy about having to pay that, but sometimes that does come with vehicle ownership. IMO, that is not a large enough repair to accept the financial hit of jumping to a new truck.
Sponsored