Finally A Nasty Complaint

JoedOH

First Name
joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I bought my Lariat in April 2019 and have never really had a complaint that got my blood pressure up till today.

Made a trip to the pharmacy this evening. When I went inside I left the FOB and keys laying on the console. Because this vehicle heats up so slowly while inside I used Ford Pass to start it hoping that in 5 minutes it could get the coolant up to a temp of at least 32 degrees. As a pleasant surprise Ford Pass worked this time and it started.

But, as I got to the truck and pulled on the door handle the vehicle stabbed me in the back. The door would not unlock. The truck does not have the keypad on the door and I was locked out.

Started calling friends to come and get me, but realized that there is an unlock feature in Ford Pass. And OMG, Ford Pass worked 2 times in a row.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
It probably worked just as it should. Locking the truck with the fob inside probably disables passive entry. Otherwise anyone could walk up to the truck grab the handle get in and steal your truck. Remember the truck is keyed to the fob not you. Also probably needs to be with a certain distance to the door handle.

I'm surprised you can even do that. They wife's Mazda won't lock the driver's door with the fob inside. Beeps like crazy if you try. Happens all time when I'm driving and she leaves her purse with her fob in it in the car when we get out somewhere. I think our trucks can be set to do the same thing.

Megawatt

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Unicycle.
Occupation
I make electricity
Wait a minute. How did you lock the door in the first place with the fob inside? Did you used ford pass to lock it? Because if you did not then your ride was unlocked with a fob to start while you were in the pharmacy. Tisk, tisk

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
New rule!! Don't leave your keys in the truck!!!!!!!
Joe,

Maybe it is time in your life to take responsibility for your own actions...I fail to see how this is Ford's fault.

Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Joe,

Maybe it is time in your life to take responsibility for your own actions...I fail to see how this is Ford's fault.

Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Maybe the OP was talking "tongue-in-cheek"????

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe the OP was talking "tongue-in-cheek"????
Hi Kent,

There are emoji to reinforce Tongue-in-cheek..... Hope you are right!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

NWRanger

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Buyer
Vehicle Showcase
If I leave the truck running and get out with my keys the truck honks the horn twice. Even after a year I forget and it scares me. I know this feature exists to prevent all those stories you hear about people accidentally leaving their vehicle running for extended periods in enclosed areas.

This usually only happens when I'm checking the mail or clearing snow ⛄.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my Lariat in April 2019 and have never really had a complaint that got my blood pressure up till today.

Made a trip to the pharmacy this evening. When I went inside I left the FOB and keys laying on the console. Because this vehicle heats up so slowly while inside I used Ford Pass to start it hoping that in 5 minutes it could get the coolant up to a temp of at least 32 degrees. As a pleasant surprise Ford Pass worked this time and it started.

But, as I got to the truck and pulled on the door handle the vehicle stabbed me in the back. The door would not unlock. The truck does not have the keypad on the door and I was locked out.

Started calling friends to come and get me, but realized that there is an unlock feature in Ford Pass. And OMG, Ford Pass worked 2 times in a row.
Not sure if this post is for real or in jest, but, either way, it reminds us of the wisdom of always keeping the fob in your pocket. If it doesn't leave your pocket, it doesn't get left on the console--or anywhere else. And, call it a mod if you want, put the keypad on the door because you never know....

Last edited:

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
If I leave the truck running and get out with my keys the truck honks the horn twice. Even after a year I forget and it scares me. I know this feature exists to prevent all those stories you hear about people accidentally leaving their vehicle running for extended periods in enclosed areas.

This usually only happens when I'm checking the mail or clearing snow ⛄.
LOL...when the Ranger talks to me....I know I'm in trouble.

wanted33

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO