Installed rear Bilstein’s

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Apparently the most common rear shock being replaced here is the FX. How about us standard 4x4? Do you feel the same way about the before and after ride?
I had the standard 4x4 shocks. Definitely better, but as I said above a little more jolty on some road bumps. Having said that, I'm not sure how much different the ride of the standard shocks is vs the FX4. With the std shocks, I certainly had some of wallow and swaying, but couldn't say if it was worse of better than FX4. Either way it's done and I have a nice little 1.2" lift now.
Sponsored

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I had the standard 4x4 shocks. Definitely better, but as I said above a little more jolty on some road bumps. Having said that, I'm not sure how much different the ride of the standard shocks is vs the FX4. With the std shocks, I certainly had some of wallow and swaying, but couldn't say if it was worse of better than FX4. Either way it's done and I have a nice little 1.2" lift now.
From what I have researched, the firmness of the popular rear shock options are Fox < Bilstein < Eibach. I have the Fox 2.0 rears and they are still soft, without the side to side wallow. I'd say they 'might' be a better/softer option if you are concerned. I have about 500 miles on them and have not noticed any harshness.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Update: Got the Bilsteins installed.

Took 20 minutes with part of that waiting for the air compressor to charge.

IMG_0114.jpeg

Like a few others here, it looks like I gained around a quarter inch in height in the rear.

And after much research and technical debate, and a coin toss, I installed them with the Bilstein logo downward.

Before:

IMG_0115.jpeg

After:

IMG_0116.jpeg

So the verdict?

Notable improvement on the road. "Tighter" overall feeling but not harsh at all.

So I headed to the closest dirt road that I travel frequently to really check it out, complete with some washboard.

BIG improvement. Handles it far better than before.

So all in all a very worthy upgrade.

I've decided I'm keeping the Bilsteins so I will put my OEM FX4 shocks up for sale here and now.

I'll let anyone interested have them for $10 plus shipping.

Or you can just send me $20 and I'll go ahead and put them in the trash dumpster for you, saving you tons of time and effort, 'cause I'm just a nice guy and all.

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
Ok...drove to work this morning with the new rears in place. There are 3 expansion joints on the freeway that historically have jolted me enough so that I now turn on my right turn indicator to let people know that I might be bouncing into their lane. Today...a tiny "blip-blip" with no Death Shimmy!

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Ford FX4 Engineers...Keeping Bilstein in business!
I've decided that the Ford engineers don't drive to work...they must take a train.
Spiritfish, when you install the fronts, I'd like to know if that further firms up the ride, or reduces what bounce is left, or if they just level things out keeping the same ride handling? I've been on the fence about replacing the fronts after already doing the rears (no interest in leveling).

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Update: Got the Bilsteins installed.

Took 20 minutes with part of that waiting for the air compressor to charge.

IMG_0114.jpeg

Like a few others here, it looks like I gained around a quarter inch in height in the rear.

And after much research and technical debate, and a coin toss, I installed them with the Bilstein logo downward.

Before:

IMG_0115.jpeg

After:

IMG_0116.jpeg

So the verdict?

Notable improvement on the road. "Tighter" overall feeling but not harsh at all.

So I headed to the closest dirt road that I travel frequently to really check it out, complete with some washboard.

BIG improvement. Handles it far better than before.

So all in all a very worthy upgrade.

I've decided I'm keeping the Bilsteins so I will put my OEM FX4 shocks up for sale here and now.

I'll let anyone interested have them for $10 plus shipping.

Or you can just send me $20 and I'll go ahead and put them in the trash dumpster for you, saving you tons of time and effort, 'cause I'm just a nice guy and all.
What's your tire pressure?

GSD4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL-STX 4WD
Apparently the most common rear shock being replaced here is the FX. How about us standard 4x4? Do you feel the same way about the before and after ride?

Standard 4x4 here (XL / STX).

The main thing I noticed was that replacing the rears got rid of the annoying front end bob or bounce when moving at creeping speeds in drive-throughs and edging into my driveway. The little final stop that resulted a bobsy dip in the front end. Regardless of one's daily use, over time, I found that REALLY annoying!

I previously had a 2019 Chevy Colorado Z71 with Bilsteins. I'm just going to go ahead and say it: That factory suspension was quite nice for on and off-road applications and was "performance" firm on asphalt cornering - errrr, not that that was what it was designed for. (I replaced it with the Ranger for a number of unrelated personal and performance reasons).

I truly enjoy my Ranger but Chevy got it right on the Z71. I just made it better with aftermarket options on my Ranger. My initial budget wouldn't allow me to get something with the FX4 package and in hind sight I'm glad I didn't. I feel like I'm much better off having saved for my own improvements.

(Edited for syntax)

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Well shoot. Looks like I’m going to end up ordering these. Damn all of you!
Looks like they have 4 less in stock as of today because of you and me. Double damn!

FatalException0E

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Crew FX4 - Blue, '19 Subaru Forester Touring - White
Has anyone who has done the rear shocks done some towing or hauling loads in the bed? I'm wondering what the difference is like. I would imagine that would make even more of a difference.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
Has anyone who has done the rear shocks done some towing or hauling loads in the bed? I'm wondering what the difference is like. I would imagine that would make even more of a difference.
The rear shock absorbers are not load bearing. This is great, because it makes them very easy to install, but also it will not change any of the load specifications of the truck. As for the ride quality while towing; you should see the same improvement as when the truck doesn't have a load. Will you feel that trailer handling is improved? I think so, but that's an opinion.

Reactions: EJH

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
What's your tire pressure?
38 degrees out this morning and all 4 show 27-28psi.

I normally see around 32psi when driving.

This is from the gauge in the dash so ??? on accuracy.

Falken Wildpeak AT3W 265/70/17 tires.

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Meant to ask, rubber boots up or down on the rears? Does it matter? My mechanic installed boots up.
Sponsored