Installed rear Bilstein’s

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Wow, I'm one of those that thinks it's fine stock.
I'm not a truck guy so I don't know any better....
Sponsored

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I'm also in the camp that doesn't have an issue with stock FX4, but after all the positive feedback I'm considering the Eibachs or Bilsteins for the rears.

Both have lifetime warranties, they are within $10 of each other in cost, so obviously the most important consideration is which one looks coolest.

This may be like my wheel centering rings where I finally got them and then could kick myself for waiting so long to do so.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
I'm also in the camp that doesn't have an issue with stock FX4, but after all the positive feedback I'm considering the Eibachs or Bilsteins for the rears.

Both have lifetime warranties, they are within $10 of each other in cost, so obviously the most important consideration is which one looks coolest.

This may be like my wheel centering rings where I finally got them and then could kick myself for waiting so long to do so.
Ah, but the rub comes when you have to decide whether the coolness factor comes from putting them in boot side up or label side down...and the 427 comments about right way/wrong way and dampers!;)

OP
OP
apotocki

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, but the rub comes when you have to decide whether the coolness factor comes from putting them in boot side up or label side down...and the 427 comments about right way/wrong way and dampers!;)
Aren’t you saying the same thing?!? Lol
‘Boot side up or label side down’

But - yes, I struggled with boot up or boot down. UltimatelyI followed the Bilstein instructions of label right side up (readable). I don’t think it really matters though on a monotube style shock.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

But - yes, I struggled with boot up or boot down. UltimatelyI followed the Bilstein instructions of label right side up (readable). I don’t think it really matters though on a monotube style shock.
Say, you're pretty much on the ball here...:p

Nathan289

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat fx4, 2019 mazda cx3, 1963 falco
Occupation
Leo
Do you have a link on where you picked them up at?
Bilstein is the ONLY shock I buy, i put them on my 2009 Ram 1500 4x4 year ago..about 45,000 miles when one of the oem's started leaking and we have 160k on it now. Rides perfect! Like your experience a truly amazing transformation on ride quality.
Rockauto has bilstien shocks.. $95 a piece IIRC

CompDude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat Rapid Red
Occupation
PAID GEEK

Yup boot up as instructed

PXL_20210212_190114430.jpg

Roy Johnson

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Chili Pepper Red
Occupation
Chef
Mine rides great. Stock. Just like I bought it.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I always thought you installed them boot down so that any mud/dirt that gets into the boot doesn't sit on top of the piston seal.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I always thought you installed them boot down so that any mud/dirt that gets into the boot doesn't sit on top of the piston seal.
One of Life's dilemmas. I can see the rationale to both positions and just stopped worrying.

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP
apotocki

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Update: I drove a bit over 300 highway miles today. I absolutely cannot say enough good things about this change.
I drove I-75 North from Pontiac Michigan to Harrison Michigan and back. Michigan is not known for it's 'good' roads (heck, our new Governor ran on the platform that she was going to 'fix the damn roads' - unfortunately she hasn't fixed them) so even the highways are NOT smooth like many other states. I was amazed at how this truck rode and handled all the dips and patched up expansion joints, etc.
The floating is also gone and it is now a joy to drive and a more comfortable drive.
I know there are folks out there that say - my stock ride is great or I have no complaints about the stock suspension......well.....I kinda was one of you....and......now my opinion has totally shifted on that. Until you experience the difference you'll probably not understand.
This has 100% been the BEST mod I have done to date.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
Alan, my Eibachs raised the rear of my 4x2 a quarter of an inch and has stayed at that height for 1 year. Same as you ride is greatly improved. Bret
With all the good reviews for after market rear stocks. PLus stage 3 with the bday special pushed me to spend my tax refund before i have it, ordered Eibach rear shocks.
Not looking to level but depending on ride change front Eibach struts with OEM springs might be a future upgrade.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
With all the good reviews for after market rear stocks. PLus stage 3 with the bday special pushed me to spend my tax refund before i have it, ordered Eibach rear shocks.
Not looking to level but depending on ride change front Eibach struts with OEM springs might be a future upgrade.
You won't regret it Gov cheese. I have the fronts but haven't installed them yet.

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
You won't regret it Gov cheese. I have the fronts but haven't installed them yet.
You won't be sorry if you do the front leveling struts with OEM. So far, it's Tony the Tiger...They're Great!;)

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Just did the rears on my truck this morning. Easy install and like everyone agrees, really stops the side to side swaying the truck had with the stock FX4 shocks. This is going to be one of those upgrades that’ll I’ll easily forget about but in a good way. It really has sorted out the handling so it handles and drives normal.
AE569584-D56B-4E40-B46A-A90738D6B10E.jpeg
Sponsored