Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
I know there are other posts that have some of this information but I wanted to share my thoughts/opinion.
If anyone is thinking about upgrading your rear shocks but on the fence about if it’s worth it - DO IT!
I installed Bilstein 5100’s on my XLT FX4 this morning. First of all, the install is EASY. Only needed a rachet, short extension, and a 15mm socket. Total time to do this was less than 40 minutes and that included set up and putting everything away. I did not have issues installing the new shocks - no floor or bottle jack - yes, they are a bit stiff but I guess this 60 year old still has it! Upper’s in first then muscled the lower end in.
I took it for a short drive and immediately noticed much less side to side rocking backing out of the drive into the street. Where before it kinda threw me from one side to the other, the truck ‘bounced/rocked- maybe a bad choice of a wording - once, recovered and it was much smoother with no subsequent 3-4 bounces/rocks back and forth.
Driving impressions - can feel the bumps just a bit more but in a good way. The bouncing is definitely gone and the truck has the feeling of being more stabile. Doesnt seem to feel like I’m floating on the road. Making turns, for sure the swaying is also pretty much gone. I’m anxious to feel the difference on the highway (where I’ve always thought the truck had a way too floaty feel).
The one interesting thing is that I’ve gained a little more than 1/8 inch of height in the rear - even measuring after driving for a bit. Hmmmm. I know these are much stiffer than the FX4 shocks but wouldn’t think they would impact vehicle height. We’ll see how it measures after a couple hundred miles.
As I said at the beginning of this post - Just Do It!

FC05A3F6-EC83-4416-BA14-62BD17C41AA9.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
apotocki

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Alan, my Eibachs raised the rear of my 4x2 a quarter of an inch and has stayed at that height for 1 year. Same as you ride is greatly improved. Bret
Bret - probably should have done this last summer when I started thinking about it. I guess the little bit extra ‘lift’ is an added benefit!

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Alan, my Eibachs raised the rear of my 4x2 a quarter of an inch and has stayed at that height for 1 year. Same as you ride is greatly improved. Bret
I was so interested in fixing the ride quality on my Ranger I didn't measure the change in rear height. After getting the Eibach fronts put on with the slight lift and an eye on some towing, I hope this compliments what I've done. The gap in the back is now one a d three quarters' inch more than the front. Beats the just over three inch difference from before.
IMG_20210301_160409884_HDR~3.jpg

Last edited:

2020XLT

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2015 Ford Edge, 1966 Mustang GT
Occupation
GE Healthcare FSE, Retired
Any recommendations on where to purchase the Bilstein 5100’s from online...

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Stage3
Ordered with no issues and received in 3 days.
I got mine from them, but was a bit of a hassle. I ordered the 4 shock kit, $389. I get a tracking number and 3 days later the rear shocks show up. Had to call and ask where the fronts were. They said they shipped separate, but I had no second tracking #. Had to call/email again and they said the fronts were shipping from TX, but due to recent snow/cold, they didn't know when they would ship. Started thinking of canceling the partial order and buying elsewhere. Read some online reviews that made me think I should have went elsewhere. In the end, they did ship and I did receive last week, but it took nearly 2 wks to get all four shocks.
Having my mechanic install next week and setting the fronts at the 1.2" setting. Looking forward to the better ride.

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Agree 100% with this thread. I put the rear Fox 2.0s on a couple weeks ago. Same improvement.

I'm curious what replacing the fronts would do to handling and stability. I'm not interested in lifting or leveling the front. Those that did the rears then fronts, how much more did the fronts improve the ride and stability? A lot? A little? Thanks.

BTW I ordered my Fox rears from Stage3. No issues with them.

Last edited:

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Agree 100% with this thread. I put the rear Fox 2.0s on a couple weeks ago. Same improvement.

I'm curious what replacing the fronts would do to handling and stability. I'm not interested in lifting or leveling the front. Those that did the rears then fronts, how much more did the fronts improve the ride and stability? A lot? A little? Thanks.
I did the Fox 2.0 kit and installed the rears first, drove for a few days on them and the difference was a huge improvement. The front coilovers basically added the level/lift because I was going with a bigger tire. If you're not interested in leveling, swapping the rears is ALL you will need.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
I know there are other posts that have some of this information but I wanted to share my thoughts/opinion.
If anyone is thinking about upgrading your rear shocks but on the fence about if it’s worth it - DO IT!
I installed Bilstein 5100’s on my XLT FX4 this morning. First of all, the install is EASY. Only needed a rachet, short extension, and a 15mm socket. Total time to do this was less than 40 minutes and that included set up and putting everything away. I did not have issues installing the new shocks - no floor or bottle jack - yes, they are a bit stiff but I guess this 60 year old still has it! Upper’s in first then muscled the lower end in.
I took it for a short drive and immediately noticed much less side to side rocking backing out of the drive into the street. Where before it kinda threw me from one side to the other, the truck ‘bounced/rocked- maybe a bad choice of a wording - once, recovered and it was much smoother with no subsequent 3-4 bounces/rocks back and forth.
Driving impressions - can feel the bumps just a bit more but in a good way. The bouncing is definitely gone and the truck has the feeling of being more stabile. Doesnt seem to feel like I’m floating on the road. Making turns, for sure the swaying is also pretty much gone. I’m anxious to feel the difference on the highway (where I’ve always thought the truck had a way too floaty feel).
The one interesting thing is that I’ve gained a little more than 1/8 inch of height in the rear - even measuring after driving for a bit. Hmmmm. I know these are much stiffer than the FX4 shocks but wouldn’t think they would impact vehicle height. We’ll see how it measures after a couple hundred miles.
As I said at the beginning of this post - Just Do It!

FC05A3F6-EC83-4416-BA14-62BD17C41AA9.jpeg
Do you have a link on where you picked them up at?
Bilstein is the ONLY shock I buy, i put them on my 2009 Ram 1500 4x4 year ago..about 45,000 miles when one of the oem's started leaking and we have 160k on it now. Rides perfect! Like your experience a truly amazing transformation on ride quality.

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone still driving around on stock rear shocks on a Ranger just doesn't understand what they're missing in swapping the rear shocks with pretty much any aftermarket shock. I don't understand why Ford sent the Ranger out with the current shock and can't imagine how many people have test driven and walked away without buying one merely because of the sloppy rear handling.

OP
OP
apotocki

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I did the Fox 2.0 kit and installed the rears first, drove for a few days on them and the difference was a huge improvement. The front coilovers basically added the level/lift because I was going with a bigger tire. If you're not interested in leveling, swapping the rears is ALL you will need.
Perfect. Appreciate the response, was exactly what I was curious on. Your truck looks awesome by the way.

LoneRNGR

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Engineer
I bought the front and rear as a kit from Stage3, but the fronts are out of stock and should ship later this month. I told them to go ahead and send me the rears. I put them in on Saturday. They are much better than the stock FX4 shocks. In fact I’m kind of mad that Ford touts those things as being “upgraded shocks.”