Installed rear Bilstein’s

mtsoxfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Most of my driving, 99% is on paved roads. Going to my retirement home in VT is dirt, but other than washboarded areas, very smooth. My only complaint is that there is some side to side rocking on uneven area of roads. Will a shock upgrade give me a ride where I feel every bump more? Not talking the side to side, but imagine you over inflate tires and run over expansion bumps, that type of feel.
Sponsored

Richard Conley

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2016 Honda Accord Touring
I know there are other posts that have some of this information but I wanted to share my thoughts/opinion.
If anyone is thinking about upgrading your rear shocks but on the fence about if it’s worth it - DO IT!
I installed Bilstein 5100’s on my XLT FX4 this morning. First of all, the install is EASY. Only needed a rachet, short extension, and a 15mm socket. Total time to do this was less than 40 minutes and that included set up and putting everything away. I did not have issues installing the new shocks - no floor or bottle jack - yes, they are a bit stiff but I guess this 60 year old still has it! Upper’s in first then muscled the lower end in.
I took it for a short drive and immediately noticed much less side to side rocking backing out of the drive into the street. Where before it kinda threw me from one side to the other, the truck ‘bounced/rocked- maybe a bad choice of a wording - once, recovered and it was much smoother with no subsequent 3-4 bounces/rocks back and forth.
Driving impressions - can feel the bumps just a bit more but in a good way. The bouncing is definitely gone and the truck has the feeling of being more stabile. Doesnt seem to feel like I’m floating on the road. Making turns, for sure the swaying is also pretty much gone. I’m anxious to feel the difference on the highway (where I’ve always thought the truck had a way too floaty feel).
The one interesting thing is that I’ve gained a little more than 1/8 inch of height in the rear - even measuring after driving for a bit. Hmmmm. I know these are much stiffer than the FX4 shocks but wouldn’t think they would impact vehicle height. We’ll see how it measures after a couple hundred miles.
As I said at the beginning of this post - Just Do It!

FC05A3F6-EC83-4416-BA14-62BD17C41AA9.jpeg
Great info for me. The thing that I dislike is the side to side rocking. I don't want anymore height but could live with 1/2" and if I did this I would also do the fronts and adjust to eliminate some/most of the rake. Don't go off road, don't care about bigger tires or off set, but probably wouldn't install myself.

Delirious

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I know there are other posts that have some of this information but I wanted to share my thoughts/opinion.
If anyone is thinking about upgrading your rear shocks but on the fence about if it’s worth it - DO IT!
I installed Bilstein 5100’s on my XLT FX4 this morning. First of all, the install is EASY. Only needed a rachet, short extension, and a 15mm socket. Total time to do this was less than 40 minutes and that included set up and putting everything away. I did not have issues installing the new shocks - no floor or bottle jack - yes, they are a bit stiff but I guess this 60 year old still has it! Upper’s in first then muscled the lower end in.
I took it for a short drive and immediately noticed much less side to side rocking backing out of the drive into the street. Where before it kinda threw me from one side to the other, the truck ‘bounced/rocked- maybe a bad choice of a wording - once, recovered and it was much smoother with no subsequent 3-4 bounces/rocks back and forth.
Driving impressions - can feel the bumps just a bit more but in a good way. The bouncing is definitely gone and the truck has the feeling of being more stabile. Doesnt seem to feel like I’m floating on the road. Making turns, for sure the swaying is also pretty much gone. I’m anxious to feel the difference on the highway (where I’ve always thought the truck had a way too floaty feel).
The one interesting thing is that I’ve gained a little more than 1/8 inch of height in the rear - even measuring after driving for a bit. Hmmmm. I know these are much stiffer than the FX4 shocks but wouldn’t think they would impact vehicle height. We’ll see how it measures after a couple hundred miles.

The perfect post I was looking for. I just ordered my rear Bilsteins and I'm going to have them installed for $55 . I'm 62 with a bad back otherwise I'd surely do it myself. Yep, and don't call me Shirley!

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
Any recommendations on where to purchase the Bilstein 5100’s from online...
I got mine through Stage3Motorsports...ordered complete set and rear arrived in a couple days...fronts still in the mail but still within a week for full delivery. Installing rears today...might have the fronts done professionally due to spring compressor fears...they can be tricky.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
I like my Bilstein 5100's very much. Les Schwab Tires bought and installed. With a new truck I wanted the install warranty + Piece of mind. I have the fronts set in the middle setting. It did bring the front up a bit. Very smooth comfortable ride. No regrets at all.

Reactions: EJH

AverageWhiteGuy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Professional Procastinator
I like my Bilstein 5100's very much. Les Schwab Tires bought and installed. With a new truck I wanted the install warranty + Piece of mind. I have the fronts set in the middle setting. It did bring the front up a bit. Very smooth comfortable ride. No regrets at all.
Interesting, did you have to adjust the adaptive cruise control radar, and Fusion 360 transponders?

Reactions: Bor

CORanger

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Interesting....last time I installed Bilsteins was on my OJ '96 Bronco. Quick question as a Ranger noob....The Engineers made a big deal about how the FX4 shocks were specifically tuned for off-roading. Any opinions on how changing the rear shocks will affect offroad performance? I had my truck on mountain jeep trails and several river and creek crossings this year and did feel the swaying back an forth made it more difficult but concerned stiffening up the rear end could negatively affect faster speeds off road...

Spiritfish

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Supercab, Lightning Blue
Ok, update here: Just installed the rears this afternoon...34 minutes, one 15mm ratcheting combo wrench and a long flat blade screwdriver...easy peazy. I didn't pre or post measure height so I don't know for sure that there was a change but...the drive test was incredible...smoother response to ruts and bumps without the "Death Shimmy!" Seems like less instantaneous rebound...the valving on Bilstein is spot on.
Pretty sure my sex life is going to improve!

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
I thought the rear shocks on my F-150 were trash. A common complaint from those forums especially when towing. Then I bought My Ranger and under certain circumstances I felt the shocks and struts were worse, border line insanity the way they have no rebound damping and the truck would dive and shoot back up. The rocking side to side while hitting trails to camp almost made me sea sick. The roads around here have a lot of dips and this thing would become unsettled. Since the Bilstiens..........It's like heaven. The ride is firm yet so planted and predictable. I've read it's more of an issue with the FX4 package. I too went stage 3 for my order, no issues. I hate that these trucks cost so much, have roll stability etc. and they skimp on one of the single most important safety aspects like shocks/struts.

GSD4EVR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL-STX 4WD
After tires, the most significant improvement I made to my 5G ranger was replacing the rear shocks. (In my case with Bilsteins).

I've driven compact/mid-size 4WD pickups since the late 1980s and the factory shocks and struts on my Ranger were ...not bad...but, uh, not really "truck-like"...

When I replaced the rear shocks, the ride was night-and-day. Also, my rear traction improved on and off road noticeably in that my tires weren't prone to spinning as much on spirited acceleration while turning from a stop. ? The extra firmness kept them better planted on the road instead of bouncing back up into the springs.

Honestly, I recommend to anyone that replacing the shocks is one of the first great and economical improvements one can make to their Ranger.

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
My Bilsteins are scheduled to be delivered today (Thanks @Stage3Motorsports ) so hopefully I will have a first hand impression of the improvement very soon.

jzinckgra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Got mine on last night. Definite improvement, but as some have said, some of the road bumps and cracks feel a little more jolting to me.

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
Just did the rears on my truck this morning. Easy install and like everyone agrees, really stops the side to side swaying the truck had with the stock FX4 shocks. This is going to be one of those upgrades that’ll I’ll easily forget about but in a good way. It really has sorted out the handling so it handles and drives normal.
AE569584-D56B-4E40-B46A-A90738D6B10E.jpeg
Apparently the most common rear shock being replaced here is the FX. How about us standard 4x4? Do you feel the same way about the before and after ride?

Stevo

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger super crew Lariat
Occupation
retired

That's great info.. I am wondering why I even bothered with the FX4 option. Seems to me a basic truck and put the aftermarket stuff in later might be the way to go. I am planning to install the Firestone air bags tomorrow to allow me to carry heavy loads with out pushing the rear of the truck too low. I did this on my old Tacoma and it made an incredible difference. 1/2 yard of wet sand barely budged the height of bed. I had B 5100's front and back on my Taco too. I have noticed the sway on the Ranger.

Sped68

First Name
Harley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Apparently the most common rear shock being replaced here is the FX. How about us standard 4x4? Do you feel the same way about the before and after ride?
It does seem more of the complaints are from the FX4 equipped trucks. I had test drove a non FX4 truck before I bought mine but really can’t recall if it handled the same as the truck I bought.
The slightly firmer ride is more than worth it compared to the wallowing it did before. My wife actually smacked her head on the B pillar a while back due to the side to side rocking going through a parking lot.
Sponsored