If Buying Today, Would You Still Buy the Ranger?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Seems like your needs for what you originally purchased it for changed.
I would ride Ford's ass on the paint thing. No excuses for that to be happening even if you have some "you use it like a truck" love taps on her.
I have 41k miles and about 2/3 of them I was fighting with ford on bullshit brake problems. I’m emotionally and financially exhausted on them and will just settle for a Chevy next time. I know a Chevy will be shitty, so I won’t be sad when it happens. Plus they are way cheaper.
Sponsored

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I bought my Lariat FX-4 in Dec.

*Yes, except I would not purchase a new vehicle in this current market. It has been a very enjoyable truck so far.

*N/A

*No real problems. Disappointments would be the light, tinny sounding doors and the FX-4 suspension's tendency to wallow.

*No

*Same trucks as you

*ZR-2 pros were offroad capability and price point, they were heavily incentivized when I was shopping. Cons were poor powertrain choices, no available LED headlights, intelligent access, or push button start, and Chevrolet quality.

Taco pros were Toyota quality, proven package, and aftermarket support. Cons were ergonomics, powertrain, and cost.

I don't exclusively buy Fords. But I lean that way. Half of our four family vehicles wear a blue oval. That being said I have the Bison and TRD Pro a fighting chance, they just couldn't hang. And the ZR-2 refresh is hideous.

Test drive them all.
Doug,
You must have read my mind, because I feel exactly the same as you, "I don't exclusively buy Fords. But I lean that way." I have owned a large variety of different styles and types of vehicles (including Trucks), American, European, Asian. I'm not brand loyal, but always buy after thorough research from whom I think offers the best quality and value :thumbsup:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Doug,
You must have read my mind, because I feel exactly the same as you, "I don't exclusively buy Fords. But I lean that way." I have owned a large variety of different styles and types of vehicles (including Trucks), American, European, Asian. I'm not brand loyal, but always buy after thorough research from whom I think offers the best quality and value :thumbsup:
I started researching mid sized trucks in March of 2020, took me till December to buy.

Research is key if you want to be happy with your purchases.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
My only actual complaint is that the climate system doesn't have a physical button to switch between face/feet/windshield. Not a huge deal, but if AppleCar is on, there is also no climate control touchscreen, so you have to unplug to switch from face to feet. 90% of the time I just use blue tooth, but yesterday head a dead phone and plugged it in, then had to change music and appleplay took over.

The one feature I wanted, but now don't really like is the push button start, or aspects of the key-less fob. I would happily go back to switch blade key given the option now.

Last edited:

F150stxguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
My Tacoma trd pro was the worst truck I've ever owned. Seat position was awful and it's engine transmission combo couldn't handle towing or hills to save its life ( constant harsh down shifting). Was shocked how much I hated it. And Toyota is known for quality and I've had some that lasted, but both new generation Tacomas I owned had nothing but problems. Water leaks inside the cab, wind noise from around door seals and windshield, electrical issues. Was not impressed! Dumped both in under a year.

My Tremor Ranger has exceeded my expectations and more for a small pickup. It's not my Raptor, but for what it is, it's been great. Rides great, has tons of power, gets great mpg, and is fun to drive.
I was going to say it. Having test driven the Tacoma before, how could anyone live with the thing just for the seating position alone. Might as well just take out the seat and sit on the floor lol. At least youd Have more head room too.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
I see for the most part we have happy stories with people who like their truck, and that's good to see.

I am still happy with my purchase. Only mild issues are a slight bit of driveline vibration on takeoff and a slight bit of fuel contamination in the oil. Issues everyone has to an extent but none of it is at a level to change my feelings about the truck.

The other option was a Tacoma only for the manual transmision. The only truck left with that option but Nothing else about it stood out and I didn't liike the seats.

I'm not married to Ford or anything. I got in at the right time - the "great black friday 10K discounts of 2019". We will never see fully equipped 4x4 Rangers sub $30K again.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
My only actual complaint is that the climate system doesn't have a physical button to switch between face/feet/windshield. Not a huge deal, but if AppleCar is on, there is also no climate control touchscreen, so you have to unplug to switch from face to feet. 90% of the time I just use blue tooth, but yesterday head a dead phone and plugged it in, then had to change music and appleplay took over.

The one feature I wanted, but now don't really like is the push button start, or aspects of the key-less fob. I would happily go back to switch blade key given the option now.
With CarPlay you have to unplug the phone to access Sync features?

With AA there's a sequence of two buttons to hit that will take you back to Sync for whatever you want, except Nav, which automatically reverts to your phone apps when plugged in.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
With CarPlay you have to unplug the phone to access Sync features?

With AA there's a sequence of two buttons to hit that will take you back to Sync for whatever you want, except Nav, which automatically reverts to your phone apps when plugged in.
When my carplay kicks in I only have phone, audio, nav or messages or settings on the touch screen.

I don't know what you mean AA?

Spence's bumper sticker

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Ranger Lariat FX4, '17 Edge Sport
Occupation
Security Analyst + USN
Hi all. I've done some searching but wanted to get some new/updated opinions on the truck's quality & reliability. I'm going to be buying one of these: Chevy ZR2, Ford Ranger Tremor, Toyota TRD Off Road (or TRD Pro). Each of these trucks has their + and - points. I also understand that each brand has their own set of fanboys, some are more rabid than others. You know who you are, haha!

Since I'm looking at spending $45-50,000, I'm trying to do my research as thorough as I can. These trucks are not cheap and I'm looking for this to be a 10+ year truck ownership. So, my questions are:

* If you were buying today, would you still choose the Ranger? Why?
* If not, why? What would you buy instead? Why?
* What problems have you had that disappointed you in the Ranger?
* Were these issues significant enough to cause you to doubt the reliability of the truck?
* What other trucks did you look at before buying the Ranger?
* What did you like & dislike about them?

Thanks for answering my questions. $45-50,000 is a lot of money. I want to feel that I've made the best choice for my needs as a daily driver, light hauler, occasional tower, and hunting/camping/fishing vehicle.

Have a great day!
I'm a brand loyal guy so it'd be hard for me to buy anything else. I considered a Japanese truck but the Toyota is just too expensive. Not necessarily overpriced, becuase they're great vehicles but more than the Ranger. The Nissan with the Pro-4X package is O.K. and priced aggressively but just too outdated for me.
I bought a brand new '08 XLT with the 4.0 and it was a great truck for me. I drove the global Ranger in Qatar while deployed and was thrilled to see it released here. I bought a '20 Lariat FX4 with pretty much everything and added a tonneau cover and running boards. My biggest hesitation was not having six cylinders but oh man this EcoBoost is a rocket, especially if you add an ECU tuner. I bought the Livernois and it's really fun. Getting a solid 23+ MPG average. Planning on adding the leveling kit, tires and rims when I can. Haven't towed yet, but if I do and the rear sags I'll add a leaf.
Total price OTD after rebates and stuff was ~$39k.
Disappointments? The interior is a bit car-like. Doesn't really feel like a truck to sit in. Great power, pretty smooth ride. I guess the FX4 package is sprung a little tighter but not uncomfortable. I love the seats. Would like if they'd do 6' bed on the super crew. CarPlay and Android Auto can be a bit funky. In fact I guess my biggest complaint is the infotainment, it takes a while to boot, doesn't always respond, sometimes I have to unplug/re-plug my phone, etc. Still not used to driving a computer, but I suppose it's not Ford's fault as every vehicle is like this nowadays.
Have not had any problems yet, except for I'll probably get tempted to trade in when the next model comes out...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
When my carplay kicks in I only have phone, audio, nav or messages or settings on the touch screen.

I don't know what you mean AA?
Android Auto

Carplay for Android phones.

On our screen there is a white button in the lower left corner which allows you to select apps, phone, etc. One of the choices is a Ford emblem which takes you to Sync.

Next time my daughter rides with me I'll plug her IPhone in to see if I can find the equivalent in CarPlay.

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Thanks, a
Android Auto

Carplay for Android phones.

On our screen there is a white button in the lower left corner which allows you to select apps, phone, etc. One of the choices is a Ford emblem which takes you to Sync.

Next time my daughter rides with me I'll plug her IPhone in to see if I can find the equivalent in CarPlay.
Thanks, I appreciate the replies.

Ima take a closer look in an hour when my buddy brings it home.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Hi all. I've done some searching but wanted to get some new/updated opinions on the truck's quality & reliability. I'm going to be buying one of these: Chevy ZR2, Ford Ranger Tremor, Toyota TRD Off Road (or TRD Pro). Each of these trucks has their + and - points. I also understand that each brand has their own set of fanboys, some are more rabid than others. You know who you are, haha!

Since I'm looking at spending $45-50,000, I'm trying to do my research as thorough as I can. These trucks are not cheap and I'm looking for this to be a 10+ year truck ownership. So, my questions are:

* If you were buying today, would you still choose the Ranger? Why?
* If not, why? What would you buy instead? Why?
* What problems have you had that disappointed you in the Ranger?
* Were these issues significant enough to cause you to doubt the reliability of the truck?
* What other trucks did you look at before buying the Ranger?
* What did you like & dislike about them?

Thanks for answering my questions. $45-50,000 is a lot of money. I want to feel that I've made the best choice for my needs as a daily driver, light hauler, occasional tower, and hunting/camping/fishing vehicle.

Have a great day!

If I were buying today? Yes I would still pick the Ranger. It has the best assortment of options/features I want and in a price range I am willing to pay.
Problems- Nothing to speak of.
Disappointments - lack of quality vented leather seats in the Lariat trim line is the only real one.
Other trucks? Tacoma (limited and TRD), Nissan Frontier, Honda Ridgeline, and Chevy Canyon.
Dislikes of other models, Tacoma, underwhelming fit/finish for top tier models. The interior looked/felt cheap compared to the Ranger and had to compromise and take options I didn't want to get options I did.
Frontier - Nissan's long term reliability issues and extensive poor customer support.
Honda Ridgeline - Underwhelming performance and interior looked/felt like it was made from very cheap materials. Driver seat positioning awkward for me.
Chevy Canyon - Two neighbors have this truck (different year models) and both have had numerous issues from transmission failures, interior build quality problems, and electrical issues.

One thing you can do is skip the Tremor if you don't absolutely need a 4wd. You can get a Lariat in either FX2 or non FX line but add factory towing, and rear locker. Mine is a non FX2 with the 501A package but has the rear locker, factory towing, and side steps. The only thing it's lacking are the splash pans and badging of the FX2. By going this route I was able to save several thousand that could be used for upgrades like aftermarket tune, better shocks/struts and adding the splash pans. You can also find many of the Tremor badging items fairly cheaply if you really want that look and swap out the grill, and other items later on if you want.

Dave1899

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Retired Living the Life
I love my Ranger! I've owned older Rangers, Mazdas and Dakotas in the past and loved them all but this New G5 Ranger by far is the best mid sized truck all around I've ever owned!

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
?Toyota
?Nissan
?Chevy
?Jeep
?Honda
❤‍?Ford

That’s My check box list. If you were eliminated there was a good reason for it. I was skeptical at first with a 2.3 4 cyl being underpowered.

Boy was I WRONG‼ Haven’t met a competitor that can keep up with me yet

EJH

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subarus, 2021 Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
I'd most likely buy the Ranger again.

Although I would check out the new Frontier first. If the Tacoma gets a redesign with a better seating position and better drivetrain, I'd consider that truck also.

I drive a significant amount of time in the mountains at higher elevations, and prefer turbo engines. I would hesitate to buy a N/A engine. I also get d-plan pricing from Ford, which really makes buying a Ford easy. I am in no way a Ford fanboy though.
Sponsored