If Buying Today, Would You Still Buy the Ranger?

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.
I started researching mid sized trucks in March of 2020, took me till December to buy.

Research is key if you want to be happy with your purchases.
?Toyota
?Nissan
?Chevy
?Jeep
?Honda
❤‍?Ford

That’s My check box list. If you were eliminated there was a good reason for it. I was skeptical at first with a 2.3 4 cyl being underpowered.

Boy was I WRONG‼ Haven’t met a competitor that can keep up with me yet
No lack of power...I ate two Taco's today :LOL:

1623952106106.png

1623952195186.png
Sponsored

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
I would, but I would probably opt to buy one in magnetic gray instead of white. I like white alright, but would have been nice to have all the bumpers the same color if I got the sport/electronic package again.
I debated this also but went with white as o like the contrast with the gray. I also painted my tow hooks red for a bit more color pop.

PXL_20210530_000640525.jpg

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
I debated this also but went with white as o like the contrast with the gray. I also painted my tow hooks red for a bit more color pop.

PXL_20210530_000640525.jpg
I've had 2 5Gs and both have been white with sport package. This is my 4th oxford white Ford in 2 years.

Secousse

First Name
Secousse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
My 2 cents

This is my first truck (only rented or rode in other people‘s prior).

The FX4 I test-drove was good but felt a little bouncy especially in the turns; the Sport was good too.
I test-drove Tacos: TRD Pro and a TRD Off-Road too (made me wish I had a sunroof and electric rear window). By the way I live in the Bay Area and it seems that everyone's got these bloody Tacos - I actually feel good about having a truck made in America, that I rarely see on the road.
Never considered the Chevy.
I love the external look of the Ranger (especially the Tremor; I've added a few more red-accented accessories); I don't find the other brands as attractive (especially the Jeeps).

After a few weeks of intense research before the purchase, I was going to buy an FX4 and came across this forum - read that a few current owners of FX4 wished they had gotten a Tremor. I don't have a proper garage to tinker and do complex upgrades, and wanted something that was quite capable out of the factory - decided to get a Tremor, but it sounded like they were super difficult to get. So when I turned up at another dealership and there was one on the parking lot in the color I wanted I thought to myself "I think this might be coming home with us".

It’s been just over 2 months and I absolutely love it ❤
I’ve driven about 4,000 miles and pretty much every time I get at the wheel, within five minutes I think to myself: “gosh I love my truck ?”... It’s tragic.

I’ve been off-roading a few times and I’m so impressed with all the bells & whistles of my Lariat Tremor.

I’m reasonably happy with the seating position and comfort of the front seats. It’s comfortable for passengers at the back too, based on feedback they gave me.

Memory seats would have been nice for the price (dare I wish for cooling too? My Dodge Charger had this).
I also wish there was more console space (currently looking into roof consoles for a ham radio).
And honestly: the center console storage box should have come with USB ports and a 12v socket!
6-ft bed would have been awesome too...

Last, I have the feeling the paint and coating might not be super resistant... Time will tell.

Last edited:

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I hope they put a sunroof in the next model Ranger..... :clap:

wintech

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Passport
The only other vehicle I like in this segment is the Ridgeline. Up until the 2021 refresh I didn't like the styling at all though. Besides, honda is super stingy with the incentives. I got an awesome deal on the Ranger with a no interest loan last year. Overall I love the Ranger and would buy again for sure. However, if the Maverick had been available at the time I got the Ranger I would seriously consider it. The Ranger is really more truck than I need and the Maverick (2.0T Lariat AWD) would fit my lifestyle a bit better. That being my daily driver with the occasional need for truck functionality. I don't even have anything to tow.

Edited to add: The Ranger is hands down the best looking mid size truck on the road. Very sporty but still has a 'truck' look. Mine is lightning blue and I get more comments on the look of this vehicle and the color than any other I have owned.

Last edited:

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Android Auto

Carplay for Android phones.

On our screen there is a white button in the lower left corner which allows you to select apps, phone, etc. One of the choices is a Ford emblem which takes you to Sync.

Next time my daughter rides with me I'll plug her IPhone in to see if I can find the equivalent in CarPlay.
Now that I have been properly educated, I can exit applyplay from the screen. I saw the FORD button the first time, but thought it was for the phone app.

Thanks again!

azdriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
System Administrator I
I just bought my Ranger and would do it again. I traded in my 2019 Nissan Frontier Pro-4x for it. The dealership was willing to give me a little bit more for the Frontier than what I paid for it. I did love the Frontier for its simplicity and I never got stuck with it.

So if I had to buy a new truck today I would buy the Ranger again if I could find one that I like. If Nissan was selling their 3rd gen Frontier that would be a consideration as well. But that's the only other truck I would take a look at. The other trucks just don't do anything for me.

OrangeStreak

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 SCab STX 4X4 Towing Pkg. BFG K02's 265/70/17
Occupation
Retired. MTS degree. ANG veteran. 2nd Amendment supporter.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I have a little buyers remorse.
I'd really like a PHEV, but depends on how they set it up.
If bad setup, I don't have buyers remorse.
I bought at Xmas with a supper deal.
I bought to pull a travel trailer.
I dislike most manufactures.
I hate Porsche cuz I can't afford a 911 GT3 or any of their high end toys.
I only cross shopped on the internet. Maybe I should have tried them out
for myself instead of reading other people opinions but I think NA manufacturers
build the best trucks & Ford may be the best. (Read that again... no punctuation.. lol).
At 5k lost the brakes, seems they installed the hose the wrong way???? (They fixed).
Not happy with mpg, no matter what I do, I get 18mpg.
I'd buy a PHEV if it's as good or better then this one.
Love this truck!
Sponsored