port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
This might sound crazy but I think you need to make a point, as soon as you purchase a Ranger, to really stick you foot into it regularly. I think these motors need to run like the wind to keep them healthy. I keep thinking about the last thing my service advisor told me....."you know these 2.3L are race engines right?" Remember too....of the 5 applications, our Ranger 2.3L is most like the Focus RS 2.3L (very stable platform). Is this issue present in the Focus RS? Just curious....
I'm stomping daily.
Sponsored

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
I'm not convinced these engines are that sensitive to viscosity changes especially with the fuel dilution issue and the inherent propensity for TGDI engines to shear oil. Mustang guys are running up to 5w50 and the RS specs 5w50. I think it's too early in the game for me to form my layman's opinion on it, plus I'm only a prospective owner at this point, but if anything fruits and I can provide some actual data and not just my opinion, I'll share it here.
I've been pondering the same thing. Every UOA I've seen on the Rangers has shown thinned oil. Even those that don't seem to have a problem with fuel in the oil. My recent WIX UOA showed my oil was sheered down to a 20w in less than 4,000 miles.

I may try a run of M1 0w-40 next oil change.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I took my Ranger in for service on the HVAC this morning. I'm also having them do my oil change (I provide the 5w30 Mobil 1 Extended). So I told my service advisor, who I do like a lot, that I needed a Blackstone sample pulled from mid-stream during the oil change. They are actually charging me $10 to perform this function for me. That is pretty ridiculous! I was liking and more trusting of my dealership until this morning!

fusseli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 White Platinum Tri-Coat
Occupation
EE
Vehicle Showcase
I took my Ranger in for service on the HVAC this morning. I'm also having them do my oil change (I provide the 5w30 Mobil 1 Extended). So I told my service advisor, who I do like a lot, that I needed a Blackstone sample pulled from mid-stream during the oil change. They are actually charging me $10 to perform this function for me. That is pretty ridiculous! I was liking and more trusting of my dealership until this morning!
my dealership has done my last two samples for no extra charge. That is bogus!

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
i bought a hand vac pump that attaches to the sample bottle and 25 ft of tubing from amazon and I'm going to do it through the dipstick when the time comes. Unless you see them actually pull the sample you don't know if they just dunked the bottle in the used oil bin.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
my dealership has done my last two samples for no extra charge. That is bogus!
You know if they were not such a great Ford service department I would have protested. They really do take care of me! My service advisors name is Oz. :wink: He is a very nice guy and we are very honest with each other about my truck mods and he really appreciates that. I'm sure the service tech followed his instructions on the service order to capture the sample mid-stream. Especially since they were getting paid for it. We also had a nice chat yesterday about this fellow that lied about having a tune installed on his F-150. Sad story is he was under warranty and his ECU/PCU got trashed because he didn't flash back to stock, then told them he had no tune installed. Evidently, Ford does not warranty your engine programming if you are an idiot. He had to purchase a new ECU from Ford.
BTW...They have found a serious issue with my climate control module. I will post about it in the issues thread.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I'm ready to send in my Blackstone sample for analysis. Do I need this TBN analysis for the extra $10.? What does it tell you? Why do you have it tested? Don't want to spend extra money just for fluff.....TIA

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I'm ready to send in my Blackstone sample for analysis. Do I need this TBN analysis for the extra $10.? What does it tell you? Why do you have it tested? Don't want to spend extra money just for fluff.....TIA
If you're just interested in fuel dilution and wear metals, then no. TBN is one measure of oil life, and is mainly useful for folks that are trying to optimize their OCI.

AverageWhiteGuy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Professional Procastinator
Last week I jacked the truck up, and pulled the oil out at 2,250 miles.

Ironically, after lifting the hood smelled gasoline vapors. I got dark green oil out of my truck, supposedly that's liquid moly break in (semi-synthetic?) blend. I sent a oil sample to Polaris Labs, and Blackstone Labs. Kinda curious what I'll get back.

I have a non-FX supercab 2020 Ranger, might buy the skid plate. What really irked me is the oil had white stuff settle in my drain pan, also they wheren't lying on the factory oil filter being on there real tight.. !

Added Amsoil Signature 5W-30, and HP-1002 K&N Oil Filter. Didn't like those little $6 ford snap screws. Prolly going to get better clips from mcmaster. As far as future oil changes go, I'm probably going to change the oil myself, every 5000 miles.

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Last week I jacked the truck up, and pulled the oil out at 2,250 miles.

Ironically, after lifting the hood smelled gasoline vapors. I got dark green oil out of my truck, supposedly that's liquid moly break in (semi-synthetic?) blend. I sent a oil sample to Polaris Labs, and Blackstone Labs. Kinda curious what I'll get back.

I have a non-FX supercab 2020 Ranger, might buy the skid plate. What really irked me is the oil had white stuff settle in my drain pan, also they wheren't lying on the factory oil filter being on there real tight.. !

Added Amsoil Signature 5W-30, and HP-1002 K&N Oil Filter. Didn't like those little $6 ford snap screws. Prolly going to get better clips from mcmaster. As far as future oil changes go, I'm probably going to change the oil myself, every 5000 miles.
I’m going to do mine every 3000 until I hopefully get lower fuel dilution numbers from UOA. Peace

Last edited:

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
i bought a hand vac pump that attaches to the sample bottle and 25 ft of tubing from amazon and I'm going to do it through the dipstick when the time comes. Unless you see them actually pull the sample you don't know if they just dunked the bottle in the used oil bin.
Got a link to the one you bought? I don't want to gunk up my brake line vacuum stuff so I'll get something specifically for this.

And looking at the fuel in oil poll, we're starting to get a curve... you have to wonder if the strange peak in the curve at <.5% is all the service techs that just grabbed some out of the used oil. But that last time I had some pulled the oil was still warm, so I might be ok.

quirkybar8

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger 2WD XLT
Anyone consider using a thicker oil to combat the viscosity loss? It would require a bit of research to determine which of these meets the new API/ILSAC specs and also the ford specs.

With what I've read on the f150 TSB, some of those owners are getting their PCV valves replaced, ECMs updated, new injectors, new fuel pumps, and are still having the issue of heavy fuel dilution. Pending my own ownership of one of these trucks and if the issue presents itself, I'm going to run a thicker oil and see what happens since I plan on tuning the truck.
No and what F150 tsb(s)? Interesting that at least some would get an overfull message, according to https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/15-0003.pdf. Makes me wonder why they'd add another sensor if it's just to protect against accidental overfill. Maybe this isn't a poorly understood problem with the engine guys.
Evidently, Ford does not warranty your engine programming if you are an idiot. He had to purchase a new ECU from Ford.
Ah, the ol' lying idiot clause in warranty contract terms.
Got a link to the one you bought? I don't want to gunk up my brake line vacuum stuff so I'll get something specifically for this.

And looking at the fuel in oil poll, we're starting to get a curve... you have to wonder if the strange peak in the curve at <.5% is all the service techs that just grabbed some out of the used oil. But that last time I had some pulled the oil was still warm, so I might be ok.
https://www.amsoil.com/p/oil-analysis-pump-g1206/ is one option. Don't know if the Blackstone bottle works with it though. My big plan was to use the non-postage test and deliver it to the local lab, but that was pre-pandemic thinking. I haven't even used it.

JTDay

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
No and what F150 tsb(s)? Interesting that at least some would get an overfull message, according to https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/15-0003.pdf. Makes me wonder why they'd add another sensor if it's just to protect against accidental overfill. Maybe this isn't a poorly understood problem with the engine guys.
15-0003, the same one you referenced. And I agree it does seem suspect. I think if it was a huge deal, Ford would have fixed it already or we'd be seeing more catastrophic failures. I'll say this as a prospective Ranger owner, the issue doesn't really concern me. My 2.3 MZR in the mazda has oil that absolutely reeks of fuel always, I beat the absolute crap out of the car, and I have 170k on original turbo, clutch, and engine. With that said, I'll still be running a thick 5w30 or even something thicker if my driving habits warrant. For all other scenarios, the Ford recommended oil is probabl best.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I would tell you to not be scared off. True, there are some people posting here having issues but there are quite a few that aren't.

I've had nothing but wonderful things to say about my Ranger. I have not had any issues that have been brought up (not to say I won't) and in my 12,000 miles Amber has been a supreme joy. Tonight I was running around after a tune change and now I'm sitting in the house with a major sh*t eating grin.

If you look around enough you will find something to scare you off of any vehicle but in my opinion, this one is solid.
This ... 100%!

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
15-0003, the same one you referenced. And I agree it does seem suspect. I think if it was a huge deal, Ford would have fixed it already or we'd be seeing more catastrophic failures. I'll say this as a prospective Ranger owner, the issue doesn't really concern me. My 2.3 MZR in the mazda has oil that absolutely reeks of fuel always, I beat the absolute crap out of the car, and I have 170k on original turbo, clutch, and engine. With that said, I'll still be running a thick 5w30 or even something thicker if my driving habits warrant. For all other scenarios, the Ford recommended oil is probabl best.
This is speculation on my part, but I suspect the oil dilution issues were mitigated (mostly fixed) with the dual fuel injection that was deployed on the 2.7 and 3.5 Ecoboosts. They use port injection at low speed and idle which which likely helps with the oil dilution issues.
Sponsored