Fuel in oil

JaysOnTheEDGE

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2021 Escape SEL AWD
Got a link to the one you bought? I don't want to gunk up my brake line vacuum stuff so I'll get something specifically for this.

And looking at the fuel in oil poll, we're starting to get a curve... you have to wonder if the strange peak in the curve at <.5% is all the service techs that just grabbed some out of the used oil. But that last time I had some pulled the oil was still warm, so I might be ok.
this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N956HY5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Sponsored

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
I’ve been thinking about the oil level rise on the dipstick vs the oil dilution as reported from Blackstone. My last two Blackstone reports were 3.8% and 3.3%. Let’s call it 3.5%.

Ford’s capacities specification says the crankcase should be filled with 6.2 quarts. That means 3.5% dilution would be 0.217 quarts of fuel which is 0.868 cups of fuel.

I closely monitored my rise on the dipstick and it was 1/4” - 3/8” rise with the above fuel dilution. Does that seem reasonable that you would get that much dipstick rise with only 0.217 quarts of fuel? I’m tempted to add that much oil and see how much it rises.

I’m wondering if the crankcase is somewhat pyramidal in shape at the dipstick hash marks resulting in a non-linear rise compared to the fuel dilution resulting in a non-linear rise in my paranoia?

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I’ve been thinking about the oil level rise on the dipstick vs the oil dilution as reported from Blackstone. My last two Blackstone reports were 3.8% and 3.3%. Let’s call it 3.5%.

Ford’s capacities specification says the crankcase should be filled with 6.2 quarts. That means 3.5% dilution would be 0.217 quarts of fuel which is 0.868 cups of fuel.

I closely monitored my rise on the dipstick and it was 1/4” - 3/8” rise with the above fuel dilution. Does that seem reasonable that you would get that much dipstick rise with only 0.217 quarts of fuel? I’m tempted to add that much oil and see how much it rises.

I’m wondering if the crankcase is somewhat pyramidal in shape at the dipstick hash marks resulting in a non-linear rise compared to the fuel dilution resulting in a non-linear rise in my paranoia?
Didn't work with mine I tried it . Bringing it up to the top hole. Still rose up about the same amount as it did filled to the normal level!

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Didn't work with mine I tried it . Bringing it up to the top hole. Still rose up about the same amount as it did filled to the normal level!
Jim, can you elaborate on what you did? Are you saying you added some oil (how much?) and it raised the oil (from where?) to the top hole?

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired

Yes, I filled to the appropriate level then added about 10 to 12 onces of oil bringing it up to the top hole. In fact the dealer even tried it once. Recently I've changed the oil and used 5W 40 believe it or not It seems to be making out better with that weight. Seams like the level isn't rising as much or as quickly. Maybe just straighten out a little on its own, I don't know!
. The reason why I thought filling to the top hole might work is because my level on the dipstick seemed to rise and always stop at the top hole.

Last edited:

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
. The reason why I thought filling to the top hole might work is because my level on the dipstick seemed to rise and always stop at the top hole.
Interesting. Before you added the 10 to 12 ounces was your oil level at the top of the hash marks? Assuming it was, that seems to support what I was speculating... That is, a few additional ounces of fluid (fuel or oil) makes a larger rise on the dipstick than one would expect suggesting maybe an odd shape to the oil pan around the dipstick area.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

Yes, I filled to the appropriate level then added about 10 to 12 onces of oil bringing it up to the top hole. In fact the dealer even tried it once. Recently I've changed the oil and used 5W 40 believe it or not It seems to be making out better with that weight. Seams like the level isn't rising as much or as quickly. Maybe just straighten out a little on its own, I don't know!
Jim, please keep us posted on your experience with the 5W40. I have also thought about trying a heavier weight oil when I know most of my trips are going to be shorter town driving. By "making out better" I assume you mean the level on your dipstick is more stable?

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Jim, please keep us posted on your experience with the 5W40. I have also thought about trying a heavier weight oil when I know most of my trips are going to be shorter town driving. By "making out better" I assume you mean the level on your dipstick is more stable?
It appears to me this truck can not be used solely for short trips. You need to put some 30 to 40 mile trips in between to help stabilize oil level. It seams easier to accomplish this with the heavier weight oil for some reason. This has been my experience.I will be monitoring it to see if I can keep a handle on it! I have about 850 miles on this oil change. With the 5W 30 I would rise to the top hole in couple hundred miles. Now with 850 miles I'm an eighth inch below the top hole and can bring it down an eighth of an inch with a 30 to 40 mile trip.

Rickfar

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 supercrew sport
OK it's story time fellows and girls. I have 2200 miles on the clock, the oil has been changed 5 times the last time it was changed at 500 mile interval and I sent an oil sample in to Blackstone they return the analysis's with a 3.8 fuel dilution. ( According to them it should be less than 2.0) and that was only 500 miles. I also have another sample sent to them with another 500 mile interval and waiting for them to send me the results.

In the mean time I contacted Ford resolution and told them I would like the vehicle fixed but it has already been to the dealer 3 times and they do not know what to do. I opened a case to have them buy the vehicle back we will see how that goes.
it really sucks as I like my ranger but I cannot change the oil every 500 miles. This is no reflection on the dealer they get no support from Ford engineers all they try and do is throw parts at it to see if it sticks the 1st time it was in they said I had a bad injector supposedly a leak down test over night. they replaced the injector that didn't help I have owned the truck for one year. This issue has been going on since 500 miles. It just seems like ford does not have an answer. Blackstone said my Flash point is 300ďľź and I would imagine the oil is like water and I really feel a long term issue will develop. And the last 500 miles were trips of over 65-100 miles.
The only plus side to this is they gave me a loaner and this is what they gave me.
209 miles on the clock. Please excuse any spelling or punctuation as I'm trying to do this from my phone
20210119_151931.jpg

20210119_151901.jpg
20210119_151915.jpg

Last edited:

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
OK it's story time fellows and girls. I have 2200 miles on the clock, the oil has been changed 5 times the last time it was changed at 500 mile interval and I sent an oil sample in to Blackstone they return the analysis's with a 3.8 fuel dilution. ( According to them it should be less than 2.0) and that was only 500 miles. I also have another sample sent to them with another 500 mile interval and waiting for them to send me the results.

In the mean time I contacted Ford resolution and told them I would like the vehicle fixed but it has already been to the dealer 3 times and they do not know what to do. I opened a case to have them buy the vehicle back we will see how that goes.
it really sucks as I like my ranger but I cannot change the oil every 500 miles. This is no reflection on the dealer they get no support from Ford engineers all they try and do is throw parts at it to see if it sticks the 1st time it was in they said I had a bad injector supposedly a leak down test over night. they replaced the injector that didn't help I have owned the truck for one year. This issue has been going on since 500 miles. It just seems like ford does not have an answer. Blackstone said my Flash point is 300ďľź and I would imagine the oil is like water and I really feel a long term issue will develop. And the last 500 miles were trips of over 65-100 miles.
The only plus side to this is they gave me a loaner and this is what they gave me.
209 miles on the clock. Please excuse any spelling or punctuation as I'm trying to do this from my phone
20210119_151931.jpg

20210119_151901.jpg
20210119_151915.jpg
Wow a nice opportunity if the bronco has the same engine as the ranger. Check the oil let us know

kal718

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Escape Titanium
Wow a nice opportunity if the bronco has the same engine as the ranger. Check the oil let us know
That’s an Outer Banks so it has the 3 cylinder.

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It appears to me this truck can not be used solely for short trips. You need to put some 30 to 40 mile trips in between to help stabilize oil level. It seams easier to accomplish this with the heavier weight oil for some reason. This has been my experience.I will be monitoring it to see if I can keep a handle on it! I have about 850 miles on this oil change. With the 5W 30 I would rise to the top hole in couple hundred miles. Now with 850 miles I'm an eighth inch below the top hole and can bring it down an eighth of an inch with a 30 to 40 mile trip.
I checked the owners manual for the Mustang (2.3 Ecoboost) and it calls for 5W-30 but when racing they call for draining the oil and replacing with 5W-50. The Focus RS specifies 5W-50 (no distinction between racing and normal driving). It would appear our Ranger 2.3 Ecoboosts should handle heavier weight oils just fine unless there is something peculiar or different about our Ranger 2.3s.

My last two Blackstone reports indicated the viscosity was closer to 5W-20. Jim, please keep us posted on what you learn with the 5W-40. I would like to follow your lead on my next oil change.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
That’s an Outer Banks so it has the 3 cylinder.
Correct. And the Bronco Sport only has the 1.5L I-3 and 2.0L I-4 as options. Only the regular Bronco got the 2.3L as an option.

Reactions: Doc

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I checked the owners manual for the Mustang (2.3 Ecoboost) and it calls for 5W-30 but when racing they call for draining the oil and replacing with 5W-50. The Focus RS specifies 5W-50 (no distinction between racing and normal driving). It would appear our Ranger 2.3 Ecoboosts should handle heavier weight oils just fine unless there is something peculiar or different about our Ranger 2.3s.

My last two Blackstone reports indicated the viscosity was closer to 5W-20. Jim, please keep us posted on what you learn with the 5W-40. I would like to follow your lead on my next oil change.
Also added Hot Shot friction reducer, the specified amount. Am getting about a mile and a half better fuel mileage.

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist

20210119_151931.jpg

20210119_151901.jpg
20210119_151915.jpg
Rick,
I have a very similar experience as yours, even though I have only made two trios to the dealer with NO resolution. The Ford Engineers were of no help for the dealership. Ford's last comment was they don't trust outside labs and no repairs are needed! My fuel dilution was 4.3%.
How are you pursuing the "buy the vehicle back"? What exactly did you have to do in case I want to take this sort of action? Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited: