Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
What was the level?
It was close to the twist at 1,200 miles an smelled like gas. I took it to the dealership an they corrected the oil level (I don't know if they changed it or just removed a quart or so). I checked it when they gave it back an it was at the top of the hash marks. When I changed it it was up some I think above the top hole with a slight fuel smell. Now it stays pretty steady an has a very slight fuel odor, I don't think it's enough to worry about. I plan to do a analysis next change. I hope it was just a matter of the rings seating on mine. My commute is about 12 miles each way with 9 of it highway at 70 so I think that helps.
Sponsored

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
Well, I will be making my third trip to the dealer this coming week. My complaint simply started with 4.3% fuel dilution (Blackstone first change at 860 miles) and now (3500 miles) the oil level is about 1/4” below the twist! They said to bring it in and they will perform an “oil consumption test”. I’m obviously not consuming oil with an above full level on the dipstick, but we will see.
For my first two visits and complaints(Customer and Warranty Complaints), they said everything working per normal and no repairs needed.??
Show them the page in the owners manual about engine damage from an over filled crankcase an see if they stick with the all is normal and no repairs quote.

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Show them the page in the owners manual about engine damage from an over filled crankcase an see if they stick with the all is normal and no repairs quote.
Thanks for the recommendation. I will certainly bring that to their attention!

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Well, I will be making my third trip to the dealer this coming week. My complaint simply started with 4.3% fuel dilution (Blackstone first change at 860 miles) and now (3500 miles) the oil level is about 1/4” below the twist! They said to bring it in and they will perform an “oil consumption test”. I’m obviously not consuming oil with an above full level on the dipstick, but we will see.
For my first two visits and complaints(Customer and Warranty Complaints), they said everything working per normal and no repairs needed.??
Did you have the dealership send in the oil analysis or did you send it yourself?

Carnage

First Name
Ivan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford ranger
Well after years of smelling fuel in my garage at the end of the day and oil dilution I finally sold the truck. I paid cash for the truck and the value was tanking. At 50,000 miles It started to sound more and more like a diesel on startup. I do have ARB skid plates and a catted SPD stainless downpipe for sale if anyone is interested. Maybe my oil dilution problem is rare and maybe the engines will last a while, but there are no maybes with my replacement truck, 2021 Tundra TRD Pro. New overland build has started!
Still got that downpipe ?

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
Got my results back from Blackstone,not looking too good. Fuel dilution up quite a bit but last test was done with less than 400 miles on the oil. This test almost 3000 on the oil, although the level on the dipstick was also at the top hole! Gonna change the oil and see what happens this time. I think things would have been worse with the 5/30 although still not good.

View attachment 82279

PXL_20210420_180459720.jpg

Attachments

• 0 bytes Views: 0

Texasota

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, 2023 Escape PHEV
Got my results back from Blackstone,not looking too good. Fuel dilution up quite a bit but last test was done with less than 400 miles on the oil. This test almost 3000 on the oil, although the level on the dipstick was also at the top hole! Gonna change the oil and see what happens this time. I think things would have been worse with the 5/30 although still not good.

View attachment 82279

PXL_20210420_180459720.jpg
With 5W30 the SUS viscosity should be 56-63. On your report the “should be” value for your 5W40 is 65-78 and your value was 50.5. I think you are right. The 5W40 ended up close to where it should be for 5W30. The 5W40 does seem to help keep your viscosity closer to the normal range and I can’t see any reason not to stick with 5W40. Even 5W50 is likely fine in warm weather.

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
With 5W30 the SUS viscosity should be 56-63. On your report the “should be” value for your 5W40 is 65-78 and your value was 50.5. I think you are right. The 5W40 ended up close to where it should be for 5W30. The 5W40 does seem to help keep your viscosity closer to the normal range and I can’t see any reason not to stick with 5W40. Even 5W50 is likely fine in warm weather.
5.8 % fuel is very bad ...

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
My appointment got rescheduled until two weeks from now when I will be at about 1200 miles. I really want to send a sample to black stone for analysis.

Reactions: Doc

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
.... I can’t see any reason not to stick with 5W40. Even 5W50 is likely fine in warm weather.
... if your motor does "grenade".... is Ford going to say you voided the warranty by using 5W40?

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
... if your motor does "grenade".... is Ford going to say you voided the warranty by using 5W40?
Who's knows what they will say, because they don't seem to know or want to know what's going on, my situation was way worse before the HPFP change and that was all their oil changes!

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
Who's knows what they will say, because they don't seem to know or want to know what's going on, my situation was way worse before the HPFP change and that was all their oil changes!
probably time to take it back in and tell them you will be returning until they address it. If they tried to tel me 5.8% fuel in oil was ok I would tell them to put it in writing.

Furthermore, I would ask the service manager if he would mind heading out to the parking lot with you and adding 1.4 cups of fuel to his oil tank and taking you for a ride with him because that’s how your truck is every day at this point.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
probably time to take it back in and tell them you will be returning until they address it. If they tried to tel me 5.8% fuel in oil was ok I would tell them to put it in writing.

Furthermore, I would ask the service manager if he would mind heading out to the parking lot with you and adding 1.4 cups of fuel to his oil tank and taking you for a ride with him because that’s how your truck is every day at this point.
I will be making a phone call tomorrow!!
Sponsored