First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazdaspeed3, M3
Occupation
EHS
My anxiety level has increased after reading the latest updates.. best of luck Jim. Be relentless with Ford in your refusal to accept this.
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
... if your motor does "grenade".... is Ford going to say you voided the warranty by using 5W40?
Well if you look at this web page https://oilincar.com/ford/ranger/v_5-2018-.php it tells an alternative story. So many of the grades discussed would pass the test. Let’s say that a motor did blow because of your suspicion of viscosity. You telling us Ford is going to come back and say warranty denied because you used 10W-40. I think they would just agree oil was in there and that’s not the issue!

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Well if you look at this web page https://oilincar.com/ford/ranger/v_5-2018-.php it tells an alternative story. So many of the grades discussed would pass the test. Let’s say that a motor did blow because of your suspicion of viscosity. You telling us Ford is going to come back and say warranty denied because you used 10W-40. I think they would just agree oil was in there and that’s not the issue!
If the vehicle is under warranty, and you care about maintaining that warranty, your best bet is to use what your Owners Manual states... not what some website specifies.

I'm betting every time there is a warranty involved motor failure that Ford does an oil analysis.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Update, I picked up my truck this past Thursday after the latest fix attempt. The dealership replaced the oil separator assembly and also attempted to fix the AC for the 3rd time. All I can say is I am extremely disappointed. First the AC, they claimed that the refrigerant was very low and they filled it up. I asked them if they identified and fixed the leak and they told me they could not find a leak. So after having to refill the refrigerant on subsequent visits, they don't understand that it must be going somewhere? It has been cold here and I am sure that when it gets warmer, I will be without AC yet again. On to the latest fuel in oil fix attempt, after ~150 miles, the oil level is already 1/2 way between the max hole and the twist, which seems worse than ever, as it usually took 400-500 miles to reach that level. About the same level as the 12% fuel dilution sample (500 miles on oil). I monitor several parameters with the Torque app, including the Long Term Fuel Trims. I was quite alarmed to see that the fuel trims were very high and that it bounced around between 11-16 at idle. To me, this would indicate unmetered air in the system and since they just basically replaced the PCV system, I thought they must have not gotten something sealed up properly. After calling the dealership, their tech said this was perfectly normal and that it was due to the adaptive learning process and should be back to normal in 1000 - 2000 miles. Maybe, but I am skeptical. My mileage has also taken an even further nose-dive, as I have been averaging 15.6mpg since picking it up, by far the worst mileage I have aver gotten. Moving on, they said they would give me all the paperwork that has been stacking up, dating back to last September, and that they would include the last 2 oil sample reports including the sample from the 5,000+ miles on the oil that the Field Service Engineer requested. So it turns out that they lost the service records and that they cannot find them in the system, including the last 2 oil sample reports. There is also no record of when the Field Service Engineer and a tech from Ford (Michigan?) travelled to my dealership and ran several tests on my truck. They actually took an oil sample back to Ford........whatever or wherever that means? They said they would do their best to find them, but for the oil sample reports, Ford has no obligation to share those with me. My guestimate based on 3 previous samples, is that the 5,000+ miles sample would be near 20%. The lowest sample I have had to date is 12%, which was taken with only 500 miles on the oil. Sorry for the long-winded post, this whole ordeal has me questioning my lifelong devotion to the blue Oval.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
If the vehicle is under warranty, and you care about maintaining that warranty, your best bet is to use what your Owners Manual states... not what some website specifies.

I'm betting every time there is a warranty involved motor failure that Ford does an oil analysis.
Like anyone could tell even with the best equipment at their disposal with dilution levels like this. It would be like throwing darts blindfolded to quantitatively say it started out as this! ?

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineering
Update, I picked up my truck this past Thursday after the latest fix attempt. The dealership replaced the oil separator assembly and also attempted to fix the AC for the 3rd time. All I can say is I am extremely disappointed. First the AC, they claimed that the refrigerant was very low and they filled it up. I asked them if they identified and fixed the leak and they told me they could not find a leak. So after having to refill the refrigerant on subsequent visits, they don't understand that it must be going somewhere? It has been cold here and I am sure that when it gets warmer, I will be without AC yet again. On to the latest fuel in oil fix attempt, after ~150 miles, the oil level is already 1/2 way between the max hole and the twist, which seems worse than ever, as it usually took 400-500 miles to reach that level. About the same level as the 12% fuel dilution sample (500 miles on oil). I monitor several parameters with the Torque app, including the Long Term Fuel Trims. I was quite alarmed to see that the fuel trims were very high and that it bounced around between 11-16 at idle. To me, this would indicate unmetered air in the system and since they just basically replaced the PCV system, I thought they must have not gotten something sealed up properly. After calling the dealership, their tech said this was perfectly normal and that it was due to the adaptive learning process and should be back to normal in 1000 - 2000 miles. Maybe, but I am skeptical. My mileage has also taken an even further nose-dive, as I have been averaging 15.6mpg since picking it up, by far the worst mileage I have aver gotten. Moving on, they said they would give me all the paperwork that has been stacking up, dating back to last September, and that they would include the last 2 oil sample reports including the sample from the 5,000+ miles on the oil that the Field Service Engineer requested. So it turns out that they lost the service records and that they cannot find them in the system, including the last 2 oil sample reports. There is also no record of when the Field Service Engineer and a tech from Ford (Michigan?) travelled to my dealership and ran several tests on my truck. They actually took an oil sample back to Ford........whatever or wherever that means? They said they would do their best to find them, but for the oil sample reports, Ford has no obligation to share those with me. My guestimate based on 3 previous samples, is that the 5,000+ miles sample would be near 20%. The lowest sample I have had to date is 12%, which was taken with only 500 miles on the oil. Sorry for the long-winded post, this whole ordeal has me questioning my lifelong devotion to the blue Oval.
Honestly, if they’re having this much difficulty sorting this out over this period of time it might be time to start talking about a buyout from factory and replace it with a working truck that you paid for. You’re going to need to initiate it though. Another member on here did go through that process and got another truck.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Like anyone could tell even with the best equipment at their disposal with dilution levels like this. It would be like throwing darts blindfolded to quantitatively say it started out as this! ?
Pretty much every oil analysis states if the viscosity is in range, correct? So if the analysis shows high dilution levels, and the viscosity is still in range, that would raise a red flag.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Honestly, if they’re having this much difficulty sorting this out over this period of time it might be time to start talking about a buyout from factory and replace it with a working truck that you paid for. You’re going to need to initiate it though. Another member on here did go through that process and got another truck.
Been there, tried that, Ford denied my buyback as they stated they go strictly by the associated state's lemon law and the Wisconsin law sucks, and I did not qualify. In Wisconsin, you have to have 4 failed fix attempts that all occur in the first year of ownership. My problem did not start until ~10,000 miles and while it started in the first year of ownership, the first actual fix attempt was a couple weeks past the 1 yr anniversary, as I could not get scheduled due to the dealerships around here closing down when the Covid thing started. Wouldn't have mattered though, as they would not have been able to get 4 fix attempts in that little of time.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Pretty much every oil analysis states if the viscosity is in range, correct? So if the analysis shows high dilution levels, and the viscosity is still in range, that would raise a red flag.
I don't think that will be an issue? After all the tests people have posted, even those without fuel dilution are showing viscosity levels below the recommended range?

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
F
Been there, tried that, Ford denied my buyback as they stated they go strictly by the associated state's lemon law and the Wisconsin law sucks, and I did not qualify. In Wisconsin, you have to have 4 failed fix attempts that all occur in the first year of ownership. My problem did not start until ~10,000 miles and while it started in the first year of ownership, the first actual fix attempt was a couple weeks past the 1 yr anniversary, as I could not get scheduled due to the dealerships around here closing down when the Covid thing started. Wouldn't have mattered though, as they would not have been able to get 4 fix attempts in that little of time.
[/QUOTE
This is were America is headed, no accountability. Perrty sad when consumers get treated like this. I have a list of companies I no longer care to deal with!!

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired

Yeah but they won't except ours! NICE !! AND THEY MYSTERIOUSLY LOSE ALL YOUR PAPERWORK AND OIL ANALYSIS!

2ford

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger
You have the patience of Job. God speed in your endevor

Samsquanch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Expedition XLT
I ordered my oil analysis kit today. I am going to try to get a sample tomorrow in anticipation. I have a small glass vial with a lid I can keep it in until the kit gets here. I want to get this captured before the truck goes in for service as I am obviously going to request that they change the oil.

How are you all getting the sample? I was thinking a small tube down in the oil fill port and draw out a sample that way. How much do you usually send into black stone?

I am thinking I might keep my truck parked until my service visit since it’s almost two weeks out. What a pain in the a$$. My oil is currently at or slightly above the twist. I don’t even feel like it’s a good idea to drive my brand new truck considering how much gas in clearly in the fuel.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
@MotoWojo I believe it's time to lawyer up. At this point they are skillfully and willfully withholding documentation that could be held against them. This has absolutely nothing to do with lemon laws. Don't think that if the lemon law timeframe has expired there are no legal options. If you've been wronged and screwed you can fight. All it takes is balls and some up front money.

Get the truck out of their hands. Don't make any threats of litigation at all. Just make an appointment with a firm and get rolling. I don't know where you are in Wisconsin, but your search should probably be "Motor vehicle defects lawyers." Law firms usually have one in house that has some experience.
Sponsored